3DCoat Forums

Oh yeah I was going to mention that file requester thing. Currently the fastest way to enter that is to click the Show Images Folder button, browse to the folder you want, then copy the location from the window that pops up and paste it into the text box.

Yeah exactly what I did. Best/only way to do it quickly. :)

:brush: <<<<< Needs updated to the newest icon! lol

• Advanced Member

Glad to see the all the bugs squashed and 3dcoat returning to its stable self. ;)

I think i have a good theory on how to improve voxel brush(es) performance.

This will open up the way for a real clay in voxels and the same theory could quite possibly boost extrude as well.

Its alot of work to put it on paper though (and graphs are necessary) because its a very unconventional approach with its own challenges.

I hope the improvements coming next version(s) will inspire me to put in the effort and write it all out.

If what i have in mind is not flawed in some way ive missed and is feasible in code you may be able to take the first steps towards true resolution free sculpting!

(note it does not specifically exclude the resolution concept; it merely makes it much less important)

3dioot

• Contributor
(note it does not specifically exclude the resolution concept; it merely makes it much less important)

3dioot

Now your talking!!! I just wish more folk here would see it like that! Jumping up down level becomes less and less important as performance increases. I for one would like to hear those ideas, Don't become dispondant!

Andrew - There are lots of little bugs and niggles in here, true, and the process of getting them all ironed out is I assume daunting, but having used them i can see plain as day that Voxels are truly "the next step" (Bah!.. ZBrush pun).

Voxel sculpting has proven it is a different beast and does not require the same old workflows, but new approaches, and people should embrace this as it developes further! Not too mention the fact that it is sOOO much more fun than sculpting in ZBrush or Mudbox. I think what you have built is truly awesome. True resolutionless sculpting is so close to the progress you have made. The feel and behaviour of Voxels is right the perfomance however is lacking. Once all bugs and niggles are corrected what are your thoughts on the next steps for this software, Im just curious.

• Advanced Member
Glad to see the all the bugs squashed and 3dcoat returning to its stable self. ;)

I think i have a good theory on how to improve voxel brush(es) performance.

This will open up the way for a real clay in voxels and the same theory could quite possibly boost extrude as well.

Its alot of work to put it on paper though (and graphs are necessary) because its a very unconventional approach with its own challenges.

I hope the improvements coming next version(s) will inspire me to put in the effort and write it all out.

If what i have in mind is not flawed in some way ive missed and is feasible in code you may be able to take the first steps towards true resolution free sculpting!

3dioot

3dioot,Andrew had started a new topic especially about your idea here !

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2986

• Advanced Member

post-920-1247718955_thumb.jpg

Andrew, when I open 3.00.08H (mac) and load a voxel sphere it is still completely black. This was happening in version 3.00.08G too! Not sure what the problem could be. Anyone else on a mac experiencing this too?

Thanks. :)

post-920-1247718955_thumb.jpg

Andrew, when I open 3.00.08H (mac) and load a voxel sphere it is still completely black. This was happening in version 3.00.08G too! Not sure what the problem could be. Anyone else on a mac experiencing this too?

Thanks. :)

This is because you have chosen default shader and your current color s black. Press 'B' and choose another color.

I have had that happen too and sometimes it doesn't seem to remember my default shader. Speaking of Loading voxels I still have that problem where I click one of the starting voxel sphere's and I'm given an empty scene. That's in H, Cuda, DX64.

• Advanced Member
This is because you have chosen default shader and your current color s black. Press 'B' and choose another color.

Thanks Andrew. All I did was launch 3DCoat and I did not change any colors, so does this must mean the default color is black unless I change it?

I think it would be better to have 3DCoat "Always" use a lighter color for the default clay color. If a person wants to change it then they can but having it black as default is not a good thing IMO because then you have to take another step to change the color or shader before you can sculpt and not everyone knows "B" is used to change color.

Maybe I am not understanding, but in past versions the default color on launch was a lighter color than black so you could sculpt immediately. ZBrush and Mudbox both start off with a clay color so I think something similar would be better.

Maybe I just don't understand!

• Advanced Member
Thanks Andrew. All I did was launch 3DCoat and so this must mean the "New" default color is black. If this is the case then I don't see this as a good thing because then you have to take another step to change the color or shader before you can sculpt and not everyone knows "B" is used to change color.

Maybe I am not understanding, but in past versions the default color on launch was a lighter color than black so you could sculpt immediately. ZBrush and Mudbox both start off with a clay color so I think something similar would be better.

Maybe I don't understand! :)

If you install a new version without delete your old preset, I think your old preset will not be changed. :)

• Advanced Member
If you install a new version without delete your old preset, I think your old preset will not be changed. :)

That would make sense but I never have made a preset or anything and I would not use black as a shader color. Confused!

I just don't see why the default color is black, so unless you change it the objects will load completely black! I'm sure I must be missing something because I can't see this as being the way it should work. Andrew, look at ZBrush or Mudbox, they both load with a clay color and I thought past versions of 3DCoat did the same?

• Advanced Member
That would make sense but I never have made a preset or anything and I would not use black as a shader color. Confused!

I just don't see why the default color is black, so unless you change it the objects will load completely black! I'm sure I must be missing something because I can't see this as being the way it should work. Andrew, look at ZBrush or Mudbox, they both load with a clay color and I thought past versions of 3DCoat did the same?

The default shader's color related to the color you selected in Paint mode.

post-445-1247729320_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andrew. All I did was launch 3DCoat and I did not change any colors, so does this must mean the default color is black unless I change it?

I think it would be better to have 3DCoat "Always" use a lighter color for the default clay color. If a person wants to change it then they can but having it black as default is not a good thing IMO because then you have to take another step to change the color or shader before you can sculpt and not everyone knows "B" is used to change color.

Maybe I just don't understand!

Yeah like lc8b105 said, it was probably only black because you had black selected as your painting color. If you want to set a different default open the shader panel , find the one you want, then right click it and pick Set as Default Shader.

Anyone else having problems with undo with the latest version? First it often seemed to refuse to undo the latest stroke.. and now it stopped working entirely in paint and voxel rooms. Nothing at all happens when I hit undo in those.. but it still works in sculpt, retopo and uv.

• Contributor
Anyone else having problems with undo with the latest version? First it often seemed to refuse to undo the latest stroke.. and now it stopped working entirely in paint and voxel rooms. Nothing at all happens when I hit undo in those.. but it still works in sculpt, retopo and uv.

Just a guess, but running 3DC as Admin may eliminate the problem (as with earlier builds).

Just a guess, but running 3DC as Admin may eliminate the problem (as with earlier builds).

Absolutely. With as many builds that are released, it can become easy to forget or confuse whether you've changed it to run with admin rights or not for each particular install. I know I've fallen prey to this as well. ;)

Reminder to all: Be sure to run 3D-Coat with admin rights if you're having a problem with changing stuff such as this, or importing brushes, masks, materials, and so on.

Absolutely. With as many builds that are released, it can become easy to forget or confuse whether you've changed it to run with admin rights or not for each particular install. I know I've fallen prey to this as well. ;)

If you overwrite the old install with the new one you don't have to reset the rights. :p

• Advanced Member

I've found a solution to optimize CPU load. There's a little tool called CPU Control. You can assign CPU(s) to running processes easily:

CPU Control

CPU loads with CUDA enabled:

Proc01.jpg

You have to start 3DC first, then CPU control and assign all CPU's to 3DC.

It's difficult to get a benchmark...try it if you want... :rolleyes:

I'm very interested in your experiences...

Rene

• Advanced Member
Tried that CPU Control. Funny thing, I already had 3DC open, so I opened CPU Control and 3DC isn't listed. I'll have to play with it more later.

good luck! :rolleyes:

This is what it looks on my system:

CPU.jpg

You have to switch on "Quadcore" if you have one...its under "Options"

• Applink Developer

I had same problem with you philnolan3d but then I opened it with "Run as administrator" and it worked. But it seems that it dosen't give so much extra speed. Right now it is 3d-coat linux which seems to work faster than my windows version.

• Advanced Member
I keep having the issue in the current version where I try to sculpt and the brush acts like it's hiding instead of, well, sculpting. When I try to undo 3DC crashes. Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/OtYPfpM5dLe

Same with CUDA switched off? I had same issue yesterday evening...my CUDA driver was broken after installing new display driver.

Btw: Move Brush is about 10 times faster with CPU control...rocks like hell... :diablo:

• Advanced Member
awesome!!!!!

Okay, not really 10 times 3 times technically, but it feels like this... :D

Surface tools like pinch and clay boosts up the same...never think that could be happen...

• Advanced Member

3.00.08H

Little request in voxel mode:

When using smooth tool please change the display of brush depth to smooth strength, that will be much easier to change smooth strength with just holding RMB.

post-751-1247793164_thumb.jpg

Regards,

akira.