3DCoat Forums

• Reputable Contributor
Re-updated to fix 3DConnexion issue. Please check...
Perfect Y-axis rotation and speed...fix. One last niggly...and that is the "Roll" (in world space it would be the Z axis) is still disabled. Tilt and Spin work great..just no roll

press enter.

I did, unfortunately it wasn't working for me. Let me uninstall and reinstall it, hopefully that will solve it. I will report back once finished.

• Contributor

Super, Usable at last. I personally dont use the roll function so i dont miss it but im sure some do. One last bug And Abnranger mentioned this b4 somewhere. If you Pan or dolly the rotation Y axis though remaining locked to y shifts. Keeping you cursor on the object prevents this but as soon as you lose focus of object under cursor then the Y axis shifts It is difficult to explain I feel another video.

Video Recorded and on way, Last strange behaviour I think

• Advanced Member

Nice update!

I was using the sphere brush today. Since the direction of the brush relies so heavily on the position of the camera, I thought it would be helpful to quickly and accurately align the camera.

Idea..

A target plane with manipulators that can be aligned to 3 points on surface or manipulated to any angle or position .. Enter = align camera to plane..

Any ideas? Does this sound like a good idea to you? Would any other tools benefit?

IC

• Reputable Contributor
Super, Usable at last. I personally dont use the roll function so i dont miss it but im sure some do. One last bug And Abnranger mentioned this b4 somewhere. If you Pan or dolly the rotation Y axis though remaining locked to y shifts. Keeping you cursor on the object prevents this but as soon as you lose focus of object under cursor then the Y axis shifts It is difficult to explain I feel another video.
This definitely helps a great deal...but the "Roll" feature is there for a reason, and with it disabled like it is, I notice it a lot. 3DConnexion support was one of the main reasons I was so drawn to 3DC...even though it's still very new. Even though I got a good deal on mine on E-Bay, these things aren't cheap and a chief reason behind it is to navigate with precision.

Again, Roll operates across the Z axis....Tilt along the X, and Spin along the Y. Anytime one of those function's is active, the other 2 axis' should be auto-disabled/constrained from translation

• Contributor
This definitely helps a great deal...but the "Roll" feature is there for a reason, and with it disabled like it is, I notice it a lot. 3DConnexion support was one of the main reasons I was so drawn to 3DC...even though it's still very new. Even though I got a good deal on mine on E-Bay, these things aren't cheap and a chief reason behind it is to navigate with precision.

Again, Roll operates across the Z axis....Tilt along the X, and Spin along the Y. Anytime one of those function's is active, the other 2 axis' should be auto-disabled/constrained from translation

So are you saying you should not be able to Translate and rotate ate the same time? If so im not sure i agree that that should Be auto constrained. roll can be impotant and yes it needs to function, I can simply disable in the 3d connexion control panel. But you need to be able to Roll pan tilt at the same time if you dont like that functionality that would be a case for Use dominent axis? If that is not what you mean then please try to explain again? sorry for misunderstanding.

• Contributor
So the spacenav mouse doesn't respect the "Rotate around..." camera options?

or just the "Rotate around world center"?

Ok I will try and explain, the SpaceNavigator will obey any of the Rotation Axis rules under the camera options, as long as the cursor/Pen/Brush is hovering over the object in question. however as soon as you move the cursor/pen/brush off the object the actual center of rotation is changed (Y axis remains constant and locked, just the center point that shifts) and this position is impossible to predict causing peculier rotation center. if however you move the cursor back over the object the center of rotation snaps back to the camera option the user set.

This is bad because the whole idea of the space controller is that you can use it independantly from the cursor. for instance i spin the object around whiolst using the mouse/stylus to set other options, Pick a pen/brush style, Perfom any operation outside of the object area. having to constantly keep the cursor hovering over the object means its just another battle for control.

So in a nut shell the space mouse should obay the set camera rotation option regardless as to whether the cursor is situated hovering over the object or not.

One more thing. It is in panning/dollying without the cursor hovering over the object that the center of rotation is shifted.

Does that make sense? if you stil not sure watch the video again and take not of the world axis that I have enabled in the viewport.

• Reputable Contributor
So are you saying you should not be able to Translate and rotate ate the same time? If so im not sure i agree that that should Be auto constrained. roll can be impotant and yes it needs to function, I can simply disable in the 3d connexion control panel. But you need to be able to Roll pan tilt at the same time if you dont like that functionality that would be a case for Use dominent axis? If that is not what you mean then please try to explain again? sorry for misunderstanding.
I was just saying that when you move the control knob on the SpacePilot/Navigator to Roll, it should constrain the other 2 axis by default. As I explained earlier, if you do that and spin simultaneously then you are moving along 2 axis' and it's a s simple as having the non-active axis be constrained.

Without the constraints you asked for, it seems like 3DC struggles to know what axis is active and which one(s) are not...that's why it seems eratic. It's not constraining the appropriate axis' when it should.

It's not altogether different than working with splines without using the proper axis constraints....your tangents and points/vertices are prone to go awry.

• Contributor
I was just saying that when you move the control knob on the SpacePilot/Navigator to Roll, it should constrain the other 2 axis by default. As I explained earlier, if you do that and spin simultaneously then you are moving along 2 axis' and it's a s simple as having the non-active axis be constrained.

Without the constraints you asked for, it seems like 3DC struggles to know what axis is active and which one(s) are not...that's why it seems eratic. It's not constraining the appropriate axis' when it should.

It's not altogether different than working with splines without using the proper axis constraints....your tangents and points/vertices are prone to go awry.

I understand what your saying now, and If im right in a nut what your saying is that the constraint to axis that I am trying to push gives Spin Roll and tilt a coherent point of origin/reference without it just spinning, Rolling, tilting out of control. Make sense?

But the Hovering under cursor thing is a different bug as the axis remains constrained and the center of rotation is the point affected. I will add my thoughts on the axis thing back in the previous thread as I need to think and articulate it more precisely, to say Roll simply should affext Z is not entirely correct as it needs to effect Z axis from view not world, however the center of rotation should be set to world. I will better explain in the other thread with a video of how 3D Conexxion behaves in Softimage for comparison.

• Advanced Member
Thank you for your help on this, and for implementing this tool! VERY handy tool.

I like this also.. Took a bit of time to realise what it does. I was trying to treat it in the same way that you are able to snap your brush to a curve in Mudbox. This might actually be a useful thing to have as you'd have more control over pressure etc.

Also a very useful addition to this tool would be to be able to pick which type of action you use it with. i.e. Scrape, Smooth. You would be able to achieve some nice hard edges.

At the moment curves is a separate 'tool' so it would probably need to be separated.

I'll make a proper post of this in the feature request forum when I get some time.

Good work

• Contributor

Andrew Twitters he has fixed the pivot point, Many thanks!!

[Edit] And I confirm Rolling works right in previous versions just disables automatically with Z axis lock. this can be disabled in the 3d connexion control panel so there is no need to disable it when axis lock is active. Thanks again!!

I'm still confused about how this "brush along curve" is supposed to work. I've got a curve running along the surface of some voxels. I press Enter. Nothing happens. I got it to make a small mark once but then never again...

• Reputable Contributor
I understand what your saying now, and If im right in a nut what your saying is that the constraint to axis that I am trying to push gives Spin Roll and tilt a coherent point of origin/reference without it just spinning, Rolling, tilting out of control. Make sense?
...yes, that's pretty much it.
Andrew Twitters he has fixed the pivot point, Many thanks!!

[Edit] And I confirm Rolling works right in previous versions just disables automatically with Z axis lock. this can be disabled in the 3d connexion control panel so there is no need to disable it when axis lock is active. Thanks again!!

I downloaded the build again and re-installed, and "Roll" is still disabled when you select "Constrain Y Axis"...I don't understand why, though. "Tilt" works fine in both modes. Guess I'll have to fill out a Bug report.

ghib,

Yes me too. I thought it was close to the way mudbox was at first, until I had some time to really play with it. It's VERY nice. As you said, you get finer control over the curve and all settings relating to the curve. :)

Phil,

The default settings don't do much at all. Turn up the depth jitter to 1.0 or so, and the spacing to something less then 50%. You'll get better, more visible results. Maybe changing to defaults to something like that would be good?

At the moment the defaults are:

Spacing 100%

Position jitter: 0

Rotation jitter: 0

Radius jitter: 0

Depth jitter: 0

Proposed defaults?:

Spacing 25%

Depth jitter: 1

EDIT: Almost forgot, make sure your depth is set high enough to affect it

Also make sure the curve it outside of the volume. I noticed it can be a small distance away from the volume and it will still work. Inside of the volume produces results you may not want.

Updated to 08L

Changes:

- I made possibility to bake occlusion while baking normalmap from voxels to DP. So after baking VS->DP you will get normalmap+occlusion.

- Normalmap baking quality essentially improved - no details will be lost when baking voxels->DP

- I have add button "Apply" everywhere in voxel tool when you need to press enter. Not everyone knows that ENTER should be pressed.

- fixed space navigator pivot point issue

Please how high is the priority of implementing:

move/relax with pen?

Relax radius = Brush size : one click with brush = one Relax operation under brush radius

or

Relax selected vertices only

In a full human retopo mesh there are vertices on eyebrows and fingernails or lip-lines that need to remain as I precisely positioned them and should not be moved by the current All vertices Relax.

Currently I can do this:

1. Save retopology state

2. Relax command on whole mesh

3. Export both retopo meshes

4. Go to 3D modeler, load relaxed and non-relaxed, cut out parts that I need relaxed and weld it to the non-relaxed mesh.

Please how high is the priority of implementing:

move/relax with pen?

Relax radius = Brush size : one click with brush = one Relax operation under brush radius

or

Relax selected vertices only

In a full human retopo mesh there are vertices on eyebrows and fingernails or lip-lines that need to remain as I precisely positioned them and should not be moved by the current All vertices Relax.

Currently I can do this:

1. Save retopology state

2. Relax command on whole mesh

3. Export both retopo meshes

4. Go to 3D modeler, load relaxed and non-relaxed, cut out parts that I need relaxed and weld it to the non-relaxed mesh.

Relax is already there - Brush mode in retopo tool - draw with SHIFT

Proposed defaults?:

Spacing 25%

Depth jitter: 1

OK after installing the new version it works now, but UI don't sere any difference when I change the spacing (yes Use Spacing is checked).

• Reputable Contributor
Updated to 08L

Changes:

- I made possibility to bake occlusion while baking normalmap from voxels to DP. So after baking VS->DP you will get normalmap+occlusion.

- Normalmap baking quality essentially improved - no details will be lost when baking voxels->DP

- I have add button "Apply" everywhere in voxel tool when you need to press enter. Not everyone knows that ENTER should be pressed.

- fixed space navigator pivot point issue

Sorry, but the 3DConnexion (SpacePilot/Navigator/Explorer) issue hasn't been fully resolved.

With the Y axis constraint checked, the ROLL (Left to Right) feature of the 3DConnexion device is still totally busted/disabled/non-functioning.

It is only disabled when the new Y axis constraint is checked.

By the way, the Y axis constraint should be default method as that is how it works in other 3D applications). Thanks Andrew.

Build 3.08L, CUDA 64bit Windows DX64 version

OK after installing the new version it works now, but UI don't sere any difference when I change the spacing (yes Use Spacing is checked).

Hey Phil,

Try don't use the pen settings for the curves tool. It has it's own set of parameters in the Param tab, if you scroll down just a bit after ticking this new option, you'll see more options there, in the param tab.