3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member
FYI Andrew, "works hardly" sounds like he's not working very hard.

:drinks:

Not only 'sounds like' but 'it seems like'. Over a year now...

So what's new in this mac build? I had no specific problems, I reported some less important bugs though, are these fixed? Should I download this new one?

Update: this is quite disappointing! Please, stop the mac version development, you obvious don't know how to do it, BUT YOU ASKED MONEY FOR THIS.

Now, start offending me if you dear! Tell me how bad OS is OSX! You're simply trolling when you do this. IT SAYS OSX COMPATIBLE! IS IT? IS IT????

hardly works... what else can I add?

• Advanced Member

Perfection

by William Carlos Williams

O lovely apple!

beautifully and completely

rotten,

hardly a contour marred

perhaps a little

shriveled at the top but that

aside perfect

in every detail! O lovely

apple! What a

deep and suffusing brown

mantles that

unspoiled surface! No one

has moved you

since I placed you on the porch

rail a month ago

to ripen.

No one. No one!

• Advanced Member

Spacepainter, please. Its not apple that has the problem, its 3dcoat and the team.

If you like to compare apple with other software companies then try microsoft or any other. Not 3dcoat. People is laughing out there, you know.

IS 3dcoat compatible with OSX??? What do you think? It says , it is and costs... etc etc

One year now... more than a year. To solve the problems with apple 64 bit system

The same time I tested new blender 64 bit builds. I asked tooo much just for fun. I asked 24Gb ram (I have 12 only). What happened? Just started VM (swap), just worked perfectly and you could listen the HD erasing VM files for a min. Thats all. But these guys don't have problems with apple you see. And to adopt them here , all of them, like Raul, isn't the best solution. :drinks:

This post has been edited by geothefaust: Today, 12:18 AM

Reason for edit: Changed the language slightly to reflect what Andrew meant. ;)

Are you sure that he didn't mean 'hardly'? I'm not so sure... Because Andrew continues like "You may ask SERGYI via PM it will help to speed this up too"

Not via PM though, here is fine for me, it is more speedy this way.

• Advanced Member

You have to remember Tser that the mac build isn't crashing on my system, that I'm always a beta tester, give my reports to mantis or to Andrew personally, that Mac is still 32 bit after a year. That I can't use it for hi density voxels.

And that I'm a contributor. But its time mac users start complaining, don't you agree?

Its not about OSs, I prefer MACOSX than windows or linux. If I knew all these from the first time I could probably keep the demo and do my retopo there LOL. Lets have some fun now.

Or I could just buy topogun (cheaper)

• Advanced Member

Its not apple that has the problem, its 3dcoat and the team.

If you like to compare apple with other software companies then try microsoft or any other. Not 3dcoat.

I think mac osx has problem. Good hardware bad os.

Lightwave has mac problem

Messiah is emulated in mac

Maya has mac problem

3dmax there's no mac. Lol

Modo not sure.

C4d has good emulator.

XSI, blender, zbrush?

Are there many non problematic native 64 bit 3d appz in mac?

Mac really is for finalcutpro and video stuff.

I do agree mac should stop development. Its a waste of time and resource for a small percentage.

It would be interesting to see the number of users for win,mac,linux for 3d appz.

• Contributor

Not what he meant, he meant stopping 3dcoat mac version developpment.

I'm no mac user, so I will not speech for them, but so far, I've only encountered disgruntled users when working on mac +3d... May be an indication of what tool to use :/

I will say reductive things, but "linux is great for webservers" "windows is great for games" 'mac are great for 2d creation and music".

Each system has it's weakness, from experience, I would say mac are definetely not the best choice for 3d creation (I don't say they can't, just that the app support is probably worse than windows one).

• Advanced Member

bobzilla, that is not a very positive comment, and I would counter-answer that to level the playing field, but I don't want to stoke the flames to an OS war.

I DID read a developer post in a forum (don't remember which, though)is that Apple made it very easy for the users, and very difficult for the developers. I'm sure there is a good reason why the mac 64 bit version hasn't seen the light of day yet. To compare it to Blender in terms of development speed, and to quite some other number of apps is not very fair unless you compare it with one that has the same number of developers.

That said, I use the 64-bit version of 3d-coat, so maybe if I was on a mac, I would have my panic-frustration moments too.

• Advanced Member

Well, I too, don't want to get into an OS war. I apologize if misread the post. I think there's some confusion about what the issue is/was. Is it Mac, 3D Coat or 64 bit? Or, some combo of all of those.

I have noticed that apps (mostly 3D) that produce for more than one platform, are usually behind in the Mac version. I'm not a programmer, so I can't even guess why that is. But, you do get into a "chicken or egg" issue when regarding whether the OS is the problem or the development.

I'm on an older iMac and don't have 64 bit capability.

So, again. My apologies.

Bob

• Advanced Member

But its time mac users start complaining, don't you agree?

Its not about OSs, I prefer MACOSX than windows or linux. (cheaper)

I guess as a mac user (at home) I could chime in for a faster 64 bit development, but I'm not sure I would call it complaining. I'm not even sure I would change the way I work if I had a 64 bit build. Truth is I still prefer to do all my high rez work in zbrush. 3dc is a very nice place to block stuff out and refine ideas, but once I'm ready to finish something it goes over to zbrush. It's less about performance here and more about comfort and toolset - for me at least. 32 bit zbrush runs amazing on a mac I must say - even on my macbook based tablet. Every other tool I use pretty much has a 64 bit version for mac too... maya, blender, modo, photoshop. All run really well, making my user experience that much more enjoyable than when I'm on a winbox at work. So I guess a 64 bit 3dc would be appreciated sooner rather than later. Who knows? I may find more uses for it other than what I do now.

• Advanced Member

Navigation seems broken in V3.5.15B - sticks

*edit* oops nevermind, reinstall fixed.

*edit2* Just noticed a new bug introduced in this latest version. Curves tool no longer snaps to the symmetry plane. Worked like a charm in the V3.5.15. I'll stick it in Mantis

*edit3* Just noticed a bug in Mantis - No drop down option for PC Windows 7 64Bit. Strange considering that Andrew reported that this version is the most popular and most downloaded version of 3DCoat. New Feature maybe?

• Advanced Member

I just updated to osx 10.6.7 and the freezing issues I had when resizing the 3d coat window is gone. (I was having issues with messiah as well that would badly hang my computer and that is also fixed.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

How many times have you done this geo_n?

You're trolling and the worse is that you 're offending me all the time.

You have a great problem and I already asked you to stop. Twice.

You are out of topic. You found a away to spend your time offending me and lot of other people.

Because you keep bringing up mac os and 3dcoat problem! Get more knowledge about how 3d appz have more problem on mac before ripping on 3dcoat team.

Peoples, please, please stop win vs mac war. I really respect both and do what I can.

And I don't like to be policeman. I like to be peaceful programmer. I have enough frustration in life due to many bugreports last time, being policeman is beyound my forces.

Any further post regrding win vs mac war will be deleted.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Are the latest builds coming out mainly targeted towards improving the stability in the sculpting area?

Are there an areas that are being left alone until main issues are sorted?

IE: AutoUV Mapping

Cheers Ady

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Are the latest builds coming out mainly targeted towards improving the stability in the sculpting area?

Are there an areas that are being left alone until main issues are sorted?

IE: AutoUV Mapping

Cheers Ady

He's targeting bugs application wide.

• Advanced Member

thanks for the heads up AbnRanger.

I have 3DC on a PC with no internet connection, is there a way I can use the Mantis Bug Tracker without.

I have an latop I use for Internet browsing and emailing.

• Reputable Contributor

thanks for the heads up AbnRanger.

I have 3DC on a PC with no internet connection, is there a way I can use the Mantis Bug Tracker without.

I have an latop I use for Internet browsing and emailing.

It's not linked to the application. So, you can sign on from your laptop and just fill in the areas that pertain to your issue, and check on it's progress thereafter.

Updated to 3.5.16 (Win, Mac+Linux come soon)

changes:

- Fixed a bunch of instability problems + retopo transform problems

- FBX import will catch color, normal and specular textures if attached

- New floating server released, it is is compatibel with previous 3D-Coat version, but it is better to use 3.5.15/16 - http://bit.ly/f7gZpk

- Adding faces/bevel and other retopo tools will not discard current UV set, changed islands will be autobatically updated

- dropped image may be assigned to be background

As you see, this update is mainly pointed to stability and bugfixing.

Hi, there!

Testing version: 3.5.16

System: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 / Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X / 12GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / Driver version 266.58

Voxel sculpting bug of unwanted dents in mesh:

1. Sculpt default sphere

2. Res+

3. Use a large move brush to shape sphere (size about what you could use for shaping human cranium) in voxel mode

4. Line like dents appear on bottom half or on opposite side when sculpting on top half of mesh

I think this happened on 3.5.15 too, but not sure about this as I tested 3.5.15 version too little to be sure