3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

pbowmar, probably the weak video card?

So I am having a "problem" and I wanted to post here to see what others experiences is. While doing some voxel work with my wacom, it take over a second after I bring my pen tip off of the tablet before 3d-coat lets go. So what happens is that when I come back down with the pen onto the tablet it calculates the second or two of "movement" off of the tablet like I actually was pressing down. I don't know if it's my wacom drivers or a bug, or ?? But it really slows down the process and requires me to undo a ton.

EDIT: I think it's mostly the move tool.

The idea is that the user can decide which kind of interface he prefers - iconic with text or just plain text (as it is). In addition to this, the interface would become flexible - allowing the user to choose which tools, Panels and dialogs he would wish to be present in "their" personalized version of the product.

Simple all the way to complex - gratifying all tastes and needs.

Greg Smith

FWIW this is (tentatively) slated to begin this summer, for those interested.

• Reputable Contributor
...Although I myself like QT too - the Software will also not get any better by just switching over to another GUI-Framework.

It's perfectly possible to make poorly functional,and aestetically most banal GUI's with QT too. I'll gladly present some examples.

Well, my hope is not only that it can help simplify future modifications for Andrew, but also the end user (the the QT designer). There are a number of things that are misplaced in the UI, and elements that should be in other rooms. Currently we have to bug Andrew to get those things changed. Perhaps with the aid of the QT Designer, the end user can set up their own custom preset panels, and enable pallets such as the Models pallet, to be available in the Retopo Room. Why that would be useful is that,with the new Transform tool (hopefully Andrew will enable the same Select/Move tool in the Sculpt Room to work in the Retopo Room...with soft selection), users can quickly grab a primitive model, massage it into place, and begin using it as starting point for Retopo work.

The more UI workload Andrew can leave to the user, the more he can focus on features and bugfixing. That's my 2 cents worth, anyway.

• Advanced Member

pbowmar, probably the weak video card?

Possibly, though it's Nvidia which runs Maya and Houdini fine, if not super-fast. The thing is, 3-5-05 works fine on that machine.

3D Coat doesn't even start up in 3-5-17A, I get a grey screen and then it disappears.

Cheers

Peter B

• Advanced Member

now trying the v17A Linux, still crashing, mainly after trying to tweak the UV's and reapply to the model all hell breaks loose, and if I re-Merge into scene MV again and then delete the original material/object from the paint room then 3dc gets unstable and manifests in many ways such as even trying to bucket fill the object. There is also a problem with Apply UV set in the UV room, all it does is destroy your model and you cannot undo the damage. I have tried this version with a fresh scene, a default sphere with a few peaks created with the move tool, nothing special. The retopo crashes that I had with 16A seem to have been fixed, just got to get the UV stuff sorted out and the re-merging into the scene.

T.

• Advanced Member

O.K. I just figured out that you have to turn off the Textures>Use Original UV to prevent your model from exploding when using Apply UV set in the UV room, now to keep testing.

T.

geothefaust, do you mean that Andrew is going with Qt? This can only be a great thing...

T.

Pretty sure it wont be Qt. I've written a rather extensive design doc in plan that, if Andrew chooses to implement even half of it, 3DC should be in great shape as far as user customizing the UI is concerned. Time will tell. :)

• Advanced Member

Well, my hope is not only that it can help simplify future modifications for Andrew, but also the end user (the the QT designer). There are a number of things that are misplaced in the UI, and elements that should be in other rooms. Currently we have to bug Andrew to get those things changed. Perhaps with the aid of the QT Designer, the end user can set up their own custom preset panels, and enable pallets such as the Models pallet, to be available in the Retopo Room. Why that would be useful is that,with the new Transform tool (hopefully Andrew will enable the same Select/Move tool in the Sculpt Room to work in the Retopo Room...with soft selection), users can quickly grab a primitive model, massage it into place, and begin using it as starting point for Retopo work.

The more UI workload Andrew can leave to the user, the more he can focus on features and bugfixing. That's my 2 cents worth, anyway.

As I said - I find QT interesting too.

Architecture-optimizations (in terms of what do we imagine to happen where and in what context and with what tools at hand and with the following unavailable

and with what widgets and with what consequences on Camera-Navigation, what operations are hardcoded and can not be changed, where do we allow customization

at all) imo had to be addressed before even picking the GUI Framework. We all like customization but it has to be very thoroughly planned to make sure

that things work properly under all (or at least many thinkable) circumstances. Currently one can easily set up Keyboard mapping Schemes for instant which break

existing functionality. It surely was a great lot easier for Andrew to establish less customizing....

However it might be that QT already offers some pre--made basic components which simply work better than in the current implementation.

Such as Menus which display the chosen item simply by adding a tick or whatever sort of symbol besides active Menu-Entries.

Every option which is not an One-Shot Action but which alter states needs such!

Currently one can simply not look up what Keyboard Mapping Scheme is active or what Display-Mode is present in the Paint Room.

Although only a missing Detail in each instance - the complete lack of these State-Checkmarks in the current GUI adds up to a massive shortcoming.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I don't know about qt (but I like the way maya handles custom panels and whatnot though)... But if I have one thing to say about interface changes it's about that kind of "error":

130234300458.jpg

As much as I like 3dcoat (AND I DO LIKE IT A LOT), this is a major flaw... half of those options should be visible in a top bar menu. Many new users don't think about right clicking on volumes to get that menu, and are missing TONS of functionality in the process.

Look at that menu ! It's gigantic ! For isntance the clone with ... could be a single dialog with multiple option, reducing the menu size. That could be applied to a lot of other entries too.

So one word Imho: streamline ! :clapping:

Quick mockup of what I mean:

clone.jpg

density.jpg

• Like 1

One thing that could help is to just have one "Boolean" button that would handle all of Merge to..., subtract from..., etc. I suggest that button opens a panel with two drop down boxes, one with "merge to" etc, the other with a list of Vox Tree layers. The up side to this is that it's less messy and saves room, the down side is that it's a couple extra extra clicks for users.

I don't know if this is a bug or plain stupidity from my side ? For some kind of bizarre reason the X axis has rotated. Reset axis and Reset Space just results in my figure getting rotated on his side. I don't have a clue how to fix this. Intuitive I thought that rotating my object with the transform tool would fix it, but my axis seems to rotate with it.

It seems that the 2 last builds really have something wonky going on with regards of voxels sculpting. A couple of weird things I have noticed

* Sometimes when I load a voxel object and I click on the layer the object dissapear when I look at the name of the layer is see something like [-2124854548]name_of_layer

* Sometimes I get layers that are empty that I didn't add when loading a file.

* When resetting the symmetry planes the plane doesn't reset it in the center of the object but somewhere at the left arm. It is strange because when I do transform - To center mas the gizmo is correctly positioned.

The problem is that is not easy reproducible as it mostly random. I had some crashes and submitted bug reports.

Version : 3.15.7A Windows

EDIT: in the whole GUI discussion as a developer with strong interests in usability I can really recommend the books "About face 3" and "Universal Principles Of Design"

post-6132-0-34673600-1302347273_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

@Beat,

the Context-Menu - Implementation of such functions is there for a good reason.

Only that way one can determine what is supposed to what item exactly.

Having such in the Voxel-Menu or in a always visible Bar (Clutter) would be less precise.

One had to add "Do xy to selected item" and even then I didn't find it as clear.

But I absolutely agree with your proposal to create Groups for Tasks.

Currently almost every sub-option available just has been added at Top-Level of the Menu.

• Advanced Member

One thing that could help is to just have one "Boolean" button that would handle all of Merge to..., subtract from..., etc. I suggest that button opens a panel with two drop down boxes, one with "merge to" etc, the other with a list of Vox Tree layers. The up side to this is that it's less messy and saves room, the down side is that it's a couple extra extra clicks for users.

At least for Booleans one could still use the shortcut to just drag stuff on top of each other with different Modifiers pressed...

All other Group Sub-Options should also have direct access via Hotkey, then it's not more clicky.

• Advanced Member

Hi

is the Options.xml file we can put in trash and that rebuilds itself,cleaning or refreshing the mood of 3DCoat,

is it on the 3dCoat aplication folder on Mac?

im thinking about doing that now.

• Advanced Member

About the UI discussion, 3DC is the only program which will not allow floating windows outside the main applications window, this is very inconvenient with a two monitor display, I like to open floating windows and place them on my other screen to prevent cluttering up the main application window, Qt will allow this without any trouble.

T.

• Advanced Member

About the UI discussion, 3DC is the only program which will not allow floating windows outside the main applications window, this is very inconvenient with a two monitor display, I like to open floating windows and place them on my other screen to prevent cluttering up the main application window, Qt will allow this without any trouble.

T.

I would also like to see 2nd monitor support for floating windows!

• Reputable Contributor

T.

Mudbox doesn't allow you either, but it's UI is so simple and well laid out that it's hardly needed.

• Contributor

Zbrush doesn't do it, so let's say 3dc is the only program that doesn't allow with the exception of all majors sculpting apps (ahah)... As much as I would love to have multiple monitor support (I've 3 screens I would be pretty stupid of me to not want it), I can't blame Andrew for not supporting it yet when no other major sculpting app do it... There gotta be pioneer though ;)

Hi,

For the trays, you can reconstruct the tray with mudbox 2012.

For example for the "sculpt tool" tray, menu bar-windows-Trays-tools (popup an empty window for the tool). Select a smooth brush tool in the original sculpt tool trays for example.The in the popup empty window, click on the little arrow and select "add a tool". It's finish your smooth brush is saved.

would be cool if an Ipad/android whatever could be used for interface elements

Somebody made an old app for zbrush / iphone that did this. Commonly used buttons were placed on the phone screen. I think it was discontinued though,

• Advanced Member

would be cool if an Ipad/android whatever could be used for interface elements

There is an app for the iPad called Keypad Pro that allows you to send keystrokes to a program.

Looks promising but I'm waiting to get my iPad to test it out. Users can create and share customized KeyPads for their favorite app (i.e. 3D-Coat).

Hello.

In surface mode, brushes use only one CPU and smooth does not smooth if brush radius is very large.

In retopo room, tools are also use only one CPU.

In Paint room, sometimes the smudge tool does not come back almost like freezing.

Does anyone have the same problem?

V3.5.17 win cuda 64bit

Nvidia 259.57

I am not sure if this is related, but I am working on a multi-UV model.

4K texture * 1

2K texture * 3

Hello.

I am sorry to bother.

But is this really only me?

Or is this a bug?

post-3555-0-69218800-1302526990_thumb.jp