3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Hi Andrew!

As much I like new buildup tool but there is some odd behaviour. When pressing long time the surface starts to tilt to angle.

Here is a video about it. If there is possible to smooth this out somehow that would be great.

Smoothing brush is perfect I think :)

Right now it is result of polygonal nature of surface mode. But if you are not pressing one point but moving pen (that is usual workflow) it works correctly.

• Advanced Member

Regarding voxel surface artifacts. I have question to all participants there. Please show what artifacts are you getting. Is it random or repeatable? Does smoothing artifacts still happen?

It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does I'm pretty sure it's when I make some changes in surface mode then move back into voxel mode. I noticed that you addressed something like this already though from your twitter.

• Contributor

It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does I'm pretty sure it's when I make some changes in surface mode then move back into voxel mode. I noticed that you addressed something like this already though from your twitter.

Same here, it's pretty random but it happens if I work fast and after quite some work on a file (the "start sphere setup"is a non reproducible case because it needs quite a few operations before they appear). I've to mention that I tends to happen quite less on asym-meshes.

• Applink Developer

Be careful when using resample with smooth all in surface mode. It breakes the mesh quite nicely. I'm not so concerned about this because I know that this

be solved eventually... But it's good to keep in mind right now.

Hello.

In surface mode, brushes use only one CPU and smooth does not smooth if brush radius is very large.

In retopo room, tools are also use only one CPU.

In Paint room, sometimes the smudge tool does not come back almost like freezing.

Does anyone have the same problem?

V3.5.17 win cuda 64bit

Nvidia 259.57

I am not sure if this is related, but I am working on a multi-UV model.

4K texture * 1

2K texture * 3

Hello.

I am sorry to bother.

But is this really only me?

Or is this a bug?

You should take into account that Surface mode smoothing now uses Cuda which isn't listed on the Task Manager Performance.

OK.Thank you. I did not know much about cuda.

But smoothing is really slow even if use cuda and cuda smooth boost is on.

Of course you should be using an nVidia graphics card that supports Cuda (any from the last 4 years or so). The Cuda smoothing should make things faster, it's best when you crank the smoothing power over 100% though, try it at 400% and see what happens.

Sorry again but.

I am using Nvidia card with CUDA.

Is this proper behavior?

It is so slow in surface mode.

Nvidia Quadro FX4800

driver 259.57

CUDA core 192

Nvidia control panel > CUDA-GPU > use all

I think this is quite a decent card.

post-3555-0-12401700-1302796133_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

This is one of the artifacting problems I was having with the SMOOTH tool in Surface mode. All the work done to smooth out surfaces and what does it do? Negates it by adding trash (artifacts) to the result, and it's not a display issue.

On another note, I've been contemplating doing all texture/normal baking outside of 3D Coat as I've had very little success getting decent results without some form of baking issues. I've still not been able to take a character/model with multiple components and get a workable result. What I've had to do is take the long way around and export the different Retopo layers (one by one) as separate objects > clear the Retopo layers > hide the Voxel layers that won't be baked > Import the objects and bake them one at a time.

I don't know of a way for 3DC to treat the different Retopo Layers as separate objects. They get jammed into one object when merging into the Paint Room. Creating different UV sets doesn't change that. It just creates different materials per UV set. This is a very archaic and rather convoluted workflow, as far as I can tell. I may be missing something, but I've reviewed the Manual umpteen times to figure out a better way. There doesn't seem to be one. The only way to get the different objects that are sculpted and retopo'ed in 3DC to be seen as such in the application, is to export the different layers, and merge them (from the File menu) into the scene one at a time.

I hope Andrew can talk to these guys and see if they can lend some ideas to improve the workflow and baking in 3DC.

http://vertexbee.com/rttassist.htm

http://www.youtube.com/user/RTTassist

• Contributor

The only way to get the different objects that are sculpted and retopo'ed in 3DC to be seen as such in the application, is to export the different layers, and merge them (from the File menu) into the scene one at a time.

Use "Select all faces from this layer" button that is located at the bottom of the retopo group panel.

Activate "merge selected only" checkbox in retopo menu.

You still need to hide the Voxel layers that you dont want to interfere but no need to export and reimport everything really :D

• Advanced Member

I don't know of a way for 3DC to treat the different Retopo Layers as separate objects. They get jammed into one object when merging into the Paint Room.

I'm probably missing what you are saying, but I've been going over something similar with Andrew, and found that "Merge Patch" will create a separate object and separate UV (I'm a bit unclear on the UV) if I hide all the retopo layers except the one I want to export to paint. Then, I can use Export Model and end up with separate layers, UVs, surfaces, etc.

It's a bit of a pain if there are many retopo layers, and I've suggested he add a "Merge Patch Each Retop Group Separately" for PPP and also for MV that would create a unique object in paint room for each retopo group.

But, as I'm very new to this, I'm sure there is a better workflow solution than my idea?

BTW - if Andrew and his staff could create some workflow videos, this would probably be very useful for new 3D Coat users, as it's taken me a while to have even the semblance of clue as to how 3D Coat is working internally and why. And I'm still probably confused about a lot of it.

• Contributor

Surface brushes look more precise, but since i've carpal tunnel syndrom and can't keep my stylus how I should in my hand, I can't confirm that. But it looks more accurate (and possibly more sensitive to pressure ?).

[EDIT After Andrew's response] I'm imagining things then :) I'm kinda sad to not be able to work with that wrist :/ Frustrated, yeah that's the word...

• Advanced Member

This new feature is mostly intended for painting, in voxel seurface mode it is noticeable when used with noisy/frequent alphas.

This will be very helpful... doing some heavy painting now. Any news on the Linux version?update?

• Reputable Contributor

Use "Select all faces from this layer" button that is located at the bottom of the retopo group panel.

Activate "merge selected only" checkbox in retopo menu.

You still need to hide the Voxel layers that you dont want to interfere but no need to export and reimport everything really :D

Thanks for the tip, but one still has to merge (bake) all the Retopo layers separately to avoid occluding problems when baking...and even then, I've never had consistently good results from merging/baking in 3DC, period. Every time I need to bake something, there is always some bug or "gotcha" (can't overlap UV islands to preserve texture space, as you pointed out before, except when using PPP. That's not in the manual, as far as I know).

But as far as baking multiple objects/Retopo layers at once, the link I showed appears to have a good solution (exploding the objects along a vector during the baking process, or isolating objects), and one I think Andrew should perhaps look into.

Andrew,

The mip mapping, while it may not seem like the "end all" feature up front... I must say is exquisite! I am really loving it... Texturing with these new changes is completely, and utterly, stunning. Nicely done my friend, nicely done. I owe you a huge ice cream sundae next I see you!!! Thank you!! :drinks:

A note:

I strongly encourage folks to submit bug reports to Mantis. Andrew uses it very much, and I know it's much easier to catalog/view all of the bugs for him (and us). So please, if you have encountered a bug, don't hesitate to post it up on Mantis! Here is the URL:

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/

• Advanced Member

I don't know exactly what you did to the brushes, but it feels great. Did you make changes to how the brushes work in Surface and Voxel mode in addition to texture painting? It's awesome!

• Advanced Member

I'm having trouble with the most recent build. When I get to 100,000 tris, the UI is becoming jerky and sluggish. 64bit Cuda version, OpenGL, QuadroFX card.

Anyone else?

EDIT: If I save and reload, is smooth again, but then becomes jerky again after a few mins working.

• Advanced Member

Can anyone confirm a slight buildup on the end of strokes in voxel volume/surface room? I don't really use 3d-coat for sculpting much, but I've been toying around with it more than usual as of late and I'm noticing this very consistently. If needed I'll put together a screenshot of what I mean.

• Advanced Member

Can anyone confirm a slight buildup on the end of strokes in voxel volume/surface room? I don't really use 3d-coat for sculpting much, but I've been toying around with it more than usual as of late and I'm noticing this very consistently. If needed I'll put together a screenshot of what I mean.

I am getting diagonal lines after using surface tools and using enter to smooth,it appears to vary with angle.

post-536-0-82641000-1303192780_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

3.5.17E

Andrew, "approximate polycount" parameter is missing from autopo dialog box.

I think "normal smoothing" name got somehow swapped with "approximate polycount".

And what is really missing is is "normal smoothing" parameter.Can anyone confirm this?

post-1195-0-47307600-1303230438_thumb.jp