Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

Recommended Posts

Thanks, I was able to down load the file.  Wget had to restart the process several times for it to work.  I have been noticing issues with my network connection of late. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.03.2017 at 3:49 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

Forgot to mention - Update islands issue resolved too.

Many thanks!!! :good2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something thats been annoying me today, In the shader palette  ,  I would like   to copy a shader into a different folder . So I right click the shader  and I get  to "copy" the shader to one on the list, witch it does fine . But the shader is now gone from the original folder. So technically the shader has been "moved" not "copied" It would be nice to have an option to "move" and "copy"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andrew: Have you changed something to the autopo routine? The topology results seems to be much better for any reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some thoughts about the Smart Material Editor :


Actually, in the Smart Material Editor, i have to use RGB 16 bits tif displacement maps, centered around a Grey between 80 and 90. Values lower displace inwards, values higher displace outwards.
3DC can't handle well 16 bits greyscale maps, neither PSD files.
Is it  possible to have a slider in the mat editor to set the Mid value/zero displacement for displacement maps ? It will simplier than adjusting the curve intensity of the map.
Changing the position/orientation/scale with the navigation in the stencil toolbar is unusable with a tablet. I have to use the mouse, or the transform gzmo.

Do you plan to add adjustement layers,  procedural textures, procedural masking, the possibility to change the parameters of a material afterwards ? 

Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past few betas the Vertex-Lasso has been bugged. Usually it snaps to 45 degree angles when you hold Shift but it seems as the final position of the "shift-click" is now where the cursor is located. Maybe I messed up some setting somehwere? As it stands this makes it very hard to cut a straight line.

Video:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/449179/3DCoat/ShiftClick-Bug.flv

Edited by Thomas P.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a launcher similar to the Epic Launcher for managing versions of 3DC...could also connect to asset libraries/browser/maybe a marketplace...having different versions installed and having to manage the installs through windows is a bit unwieldy.

Also, a bit unrelated, but a topological move tool function is important for sculpting and not currently available.

1 more thing.  I know it's been mentioned a million times before, but the ability to sculpt after retopology with subdivision levels is the single biggest missing feature in the program...It seems there has been some stuff in development.  Just hoping that is part of the plan..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm stuck using the new scan depth tools inside the object. They don't appear to alter anything. I've tried them all with and without control and get no change. What am I missing?

2017-03-22_1239.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I press 'Enter'. it exits the Depth Adjustment tools without showing the depth change shown when the spheres were used. I need to stay with the tools until all problem areas are dealt with before exiting the tool. I am unable to effect any change in the geometry with any of the tools.2017-03-22_1354.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know whats going on development wise for the next version and or big update? Any future progress on sculpting (brush) improvements?

Edited by RabenWulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

When I press 'Enter'. it exits the Depth Adjustment tools without showing the depth change shown when the spheres were used. I need to stay with the tools until all problem areas are dealt with before exiting the tool. I am unable to effect any change in the geometry with any of the tools.2017-03-22_1354.png

You are applying the changes with the BRUSH? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also tend to keep my projection cage close to the mesh and then use the brush to go over areas that need adjustment. Not sure what I am seeing here as in your 1st post you said you were working the inside of the cage but the fingers part of the cage are far out. I first see how close I can keep my projection cage to the mesh and then adjust the main parameters a little if there is just to many areas to paint. I try to strike a balance between the two.

Once you figure it out on how to use the brush to paint the local adjustments much better than the spheres.

Edited by digman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can make the fingers correct by decreasing the scan depth but it gives errors elsewhere.

2017-03-23_0814.png

I sent the file to Andrew as it may be broken. It displays, "Partial symmetry 100.0%" in red and no use of Make Symmetrical  will change it. The Scan Depth tools don't effect the mesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, RabenWulf said:

Do we know whats going on development wise for the next version and or big update? Any future progress on sculpting (brush) improvements?

Smart material layers, layers masks and UV changes/improvements are in dev right now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Javis said:

Smart material layers, layers masks and UV changes/improvements are in dev right now. 

Awesome! Thanks for info Javis. Looking forward to more details when its ready, especially in regards to workflow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found trying to give this fabric a denim texture impossible at 4K res.

2017-03-27_1306.png

If it seems too coarse, it shows where scale adjustment ceased without discovering a happy outcome. I think it would look OK at 8K but there doesn't appear a handy way to increase the UV resolution (tell me if I'm wrong). Cubic mapping but nothing better with other projections.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.3.2017 at 1:30 AM, Javis said:

Smart material layers, layers masks and UV changes/improvements are in dev right now. 

Very interesting.

I hope Andrew will add a Smart Material <-> Paint Layer Linking/Connection.

My dream: My layer painting information updates automaically, when a Smart Material was updated.

This is something I really would like to see in 3DC. I like this function in Substance Painter.

And something that sounds really unimportant but is one of the most needed features: Smart Materials list represented by text. Without any thumbnails.
And a better folder structure. We have dozens of materials in 3DC and can't master them anymore, because we see just thumbs and the material folders inside the smart material window overload the window header.

To see the materials name you have to mouse over it - something really annoying with 50 Materials and more...

Best wishes
Chris

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

I found trying to give this fabric a denim texture impossible at 4K res.

2017-03-27_1306.png

If it seems too coarse, it shows where scale adjustment ceased without discovering a happy outcome. I think it would look OK at 8K but there doesn't appear a handy way to increase the UV resolution (tell me if I'm wrong). Cubic mapping but nothing better with other projections.

You have different choices. Why not use more than one UV sets f.e. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Chris, I'm not familiar with that. I could return to Retopo to bake an 8k map but how would I use two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Taros said:

Very interesting.

I hope Andrew will add a Smart Material <-> Paint Layer Linking/Connection.

My dream: My layer painting information updates automaically, when a Smart Material was updated.

This is something I really would like to see in 3DC. I like this function in Substance Painter.

And something that sounds really unimportant but is one of the most needed features: Smart Materials list represented by text. Without any thumbnails.
And a better folder structure. We have dozens of materials in 3DC and can't master them anymore, because we see just thumbs and the material folders inside the smart material window overoad the window header.

To see the materials name you have to mouse over it - something really annoying with 50 Materials and more...

Best wishes
Chris

Hey Chris. :)

 

The Smart Material Layer, is going to be exactly as you're describing. A lot like Substance or Quixel, but no doubt with the Andrew-style added in for good measure. :)

For resource tracking, I completely agree!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.3.2017 at 10:36 PM, Taros said:

Very interesting.

I hope Andrew will add a Smart Material <-> Paint Layer Linking/Connection.

My dream: My layer painting information updates automaically, when a Smart Material was updated.

This is something I really would like to see in 3DC. I like this function in Substance Painter.

And something that sounds really unimportant but is one of the most needed features: Smart Materials list represented by text. Without any thumbnails.
And a better folder structure. We have dozens of materials in 3DC and can't master them anymore, because we see just thumbs and the material folders inside the smart material window overoad the window header.

To see the materials name you have to mouse over it - something really annoying with 50 Materials and more...

Best wishes
Chris

Hey Javis. This information sounds really great. I am curious for the result...

Best wishes from germany!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.3.2017 at 10:41 PM, Tony Nemo said:

Thanks, Chris, I'm not familiar with that. I could return to Retopo to bake an 8k map but how would I use two?

See my attachments. Every UV set will get an own texture page. They can even be in different size. If you don't need a high resolution for individual elements.

You have to move the UV islands to the UV set it have to be used for and unwrap them. Then you can make a new bake. The texture sizes will be set before the baking process.

 

3dc_uvset01.PNG

3dc_uvset02.PNG

3dc_uvset03.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After your suggestion I watched one of Don's videos on the  subject. I'm also going to try vertex painting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×