3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member

I was always taught this was called a "File", but to be honest that's probably even more confusing <_< - Rasp sounds better to me and if you do a google search for "Rasp Tool" the first link is to Wikipedia.

edit: You learn something new every day "Rasps generally cut more coarsely than files."

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew;

I just wanted to say that I am absolutely blown away not only by your ingenuity, but your disciplined attentiveness to your customer's needs and wishes. It makes me feel so safe that, as a user, my posts and reports on the forum will never be missed by you and your dev team, which I'm pretty sure, goes for everybody here. I am very very glad I bought 3DC, and am truly enjoying using it. Another ultra cool mid-release btw, thank you :)

God bless and God speed;

AJ

• Contributor

That looks Very very much like a metal work File, of low grade. A Rasp has big teeth and is used for woodwork to rough out shape (Looks much coarser, a bit like a grater), Which is why I intially Thought Ohh err RASP? when i heard Rasp I immediatelt thought of a Inverted Rake tool as if you dragged a rasp over clay that is kinda the impression it would leave. I dunno that was just my first impression when i heard Rasp. I Think Phil mentioned Leveller, Thats quite a good discription of the tool?

[Edit] Half Round Wood Rasp pic

post-1266-1252000272_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

There's a horrible bug in the latest release that involves active symmetry in retopo mode where generated topology is completely invisible. I just took a video grab of the problem and am sending it to Andrew. Is anyone else having this problem?

Steps to reproduce:

1- Transfer a voxel object to retopo

2- Activate symmetry

3- Draw polygons and none will be visible but you will be able to select the vertices and edges.

• Advanced Member
Do you have multiple retopo groups? It's probably in one of your other groups but that group is currently toggled to not be visible.

Nope... Just one retopo group... Is everything ok on your side? BTW, I think I downloaded the sim64 version instead of the CUDA64 version. I'm pretty sure I clocked on CUDA64, but I'm gonna dl again now.

Nope... Just one retopo group... Is everything ok on your side? BTW, I think I downloaded the sim64 version instead of the CUDA64 version. I'm pretty sure I clocked on CUDA64, but I'm gonna dl again now.

Interesting! I got it to happen a couple of times, with one retopo group, on Vista64, once with v3.1.02 & once with v3.1.03 CUDA 64 version.

I can't narrow it down yet on how to reproduce it, but a bug is definitely there.

• Advanced Member

Hi;

Problem solved... I uninstalled 3DC completely and installed CUDA64, not that it is relevant, actually... It was probably my oversight, but I found that I had to have the "Invert Mirror" checked. Sorry for the panicy post :)

Cheers

AJ

Hi;

Problem solved... I uninstalled 3DC completely and installed CUDA64, not that it is relevant, actually... It was probably my oversight, but I found that I had to have the "Invert Mirror" checked. Sorry for the panicy post :)

Cheers

AJ

Yes, it was "Invert mirror".

Possibly my fault too. I will add warning message if you are trying to add face that is completely invisible because of "Invert mirror".

• Advanced Member
Linux build uploaded too.

Hi Andrew,

like so many others before I just wanted to say "Thank You!". I can't remember the last time I have been so interested in an apps development. Take care of yourself so you don't wear yourself out, I am already looking forward to 3d-coat v10 :) Also, kudos for supporting Linux, much appreciated. I am certain this forward-thinking strategy will pay off for you in the long run.

A small suggestion: As you are uploading new builds almost daily, could the filenames include the date of release, at least the the Linux version is always named the same so it's hard to keep track.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member
Oh well excuse me. I still feel like if you're doing a large area it would helpful to see where it's going to slice before it does so.

I totally agree. It would be nice if the red square would hide or lower opacity while you were sculpting. I just find it a little heavy and distracting as it currently is.

• Advanced Member
I totally agree. It would be nice if the red square would hide or lower opacity while you were sculpting. I just find it a little heavy and distracting as it currently is.

I have to agree about the plane. I don't like it attached to the brush at all. I think I'd prefer if it was static so that when you right click to orient it, that makes it become more like a marker for where and how your stroke will orient. That way you could even rotate the view and have a good idea where your last strokes were etc. But in general, when I am just orienting to screenspace anyway I prefer to just not see it - especially with the 2d sketch tool.

• Contributor

Wow rasp-file amazing!

Еще бы к нему поверхность с изгибом и сплайны юзабельные, вот это жесть была бы! :)

Today worked with many separated objects, got one unplesant issue: when choose object in voxtree, than do something and undo it, after undo it selects previos object back. Really disturb, have every time to notice.

R.A.S.P...realtime advanced surface plateau . hehe. i think the red plane is good (maybe could be a option for trans and hide when sculpting)...but is miss control. is there a shortcut for moving the plane...i can see options in the tool..but it would be useful to be able to move the plane with a shortcut. maybe same as navigation...but for example on the P buttun instead of alt pro plane transformation. p+left mouse drag = rotate plane, p+right mouse move in,out according to normal on rightclicked face. also i think it would be useful with a mode where the plane is not constrained to the brush but like the symmetry plane. translate and rotate plane and with the P navigation option.

have anyone tried the fluids painting features in maya? i think its a cool concept...its like a cube with grids (like multiple rasp planes..and you have a slider on the gridcube to choose on what plane to edit. i dont think maya fluids paint way is optimal..but it should be easy to block out shapes with. anyway maybe it triggers some ideas.

maybe have a toggle for connectix 3d mouse to move brush in 6 axis and toggel back to move camera (maybe that is in 3d coat already)...or make use of a other input device to choose depth like a joystick or midi device.

i guess it would be easier to just get a haptics device...

laters

post-1291-1252094955_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Why don't any of the spline and marquee based brushes respect stencil masks? I'm trying to fill a surface uniformly with a brush pattern, I have mask active and when I draw a rectangular marquee it just slaps a solid volume... Very frustrating... We definitely need a tool to evenly spread a texture file across a surface btw... Wouldn't it be nice to fill a voxel surface uniformly with one click? Like the fill tool in the paint module...

Why don't any of the spline and marquee based brushes respect stencil masks? I'm trying to fill a surface uniformly with a brush pattern, I have mask active and when I draw a rectangular marquee it just slaps a solid volume... Very frustrating... We definitely need a tool to evenly spread a texture file across a surface btw... Wouldn't it be nice to fill a voxel surface uniformly with one click? Like the fill tool in the paint module...

Yeah that would be pretty swanky.

• Advanced Member

I agree with this although hopefully with more respect and patience in my tone :rolleyes: