3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

There's a little problem with Extrude for the curves. When in Extrude mode you can click in the curve to add a point between two others and it also display's the gizmo, but then you can't create another point between to others because the gizmo is there if you click another point to get rid of the gizmo it just starts extracting a new curve.

Another weird thing, if using Scale mode the ball (point) changes size, but if you use the gizmo to scale the ball stays the same.

• Advanced Member

The new curve tool is very nice. I have two requests:

1. Can you change the 'hardness' button into a check box. Currently you have click it once or twice to remove the curvature - this feature just makes more sense as a check box.

2. Please add some form of snapping for the nodes. Either to the current symmetry plane or 2D grid. It's currently very hard to make a single "spine" for a character with symmetry enabled. You can see the issue I have in the neck of otsoa's picture (of course, it may not be intentional here).

Great work though, hope to see another Phil Nolan promo vimeo soon!

edit: fixed spelling of symmetry for a more credible request

• Contributor

Since your working with curves now I thought I would request a function I've been wanting for awhile.I'll put this in feature request as well.

Ability for curves to wrap around an object.

-Create a couple of points and click closed.

-Points are added incrementally around object

-Align points (like the To line feature in paint mode.)

Thank you.

post-913-1252530761_thumb.jpg

post-913-1252530766_thumb.jpg

post-913-1252530771_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Is there a trick to dragging an image from a web page? I just tried it with Firefox anf IE and my cursor turned to a "no" (circle slash) symbol.

Same here...perhaps Vista 64 issue? Tried with Firefox 3.0.8, Opera 9.64, and I.E. 7.0.6001. Only Internet Exploder offered a dialog

box for me to 'ok', but it still fails to allow for drag-n-drop. <shrugs>

Nice work on this release, Andrew! Still much to explore before any feedback. (but I wish you could look at the 'Fill' voxel tool for

64-bit, as it seems unresponsive to large-scale filling---for example, 100% does no faster filling than 30% depth values, and also

having persistent settings for 'accurate smoothing' would save remembering to click it every time voxel work is necessary and the

program has been restarted.)

:)

• Advanced Member

Add my praise for this great release!

I have also not been able to drag an image from FF into 3DC. But it seems to work in IE8.

An option for 3DC to download the images to a specific folder would be nice instead of in a hard to get temporary folder (which also can easily get deleted).

• Contributor

Wow, the Curves are really becoming powerful and easy to use now -- many congrats to Andrew for this update! I've always had problems with the Zspheres in ZBrush, as they and the resulting topology often behaved in bizarre, ugly ways -- Andrew's approach to the same basic problem is now quite slick. Of course, there are the forthcoming Zspheres 2 . . . :-)

• Advanced Member

I am completely amazed at the improvements on the curve tool like everyone else... I simply love the way Andrew redesigned its behavior. Andrew, you definitely are the best and thank you so much for your hard work and dedication and most of all, being such a great sport and listening to us. All my colleagues are simply amazed at seeing me download updates like every week with fresh and great new features and tons of fixes. They all agree that this kind of support is unprecedented in the 3DCC market... :)

PS: And for those who have not been able to get their wacom I3 tablets pressure sensitivity to work with 3DC on x64 systems like me, he fixed that as well :) It's not included in the list... :good:

You can drop directly to viewport, then you will be asked how to use object or drop image/object to specific place like materials/pens/masks palette to perform action immediately without questions. Drag&drop supports dropping images not only from file explorer but from web too! For example find some image in google images and drop directly to 3DC without saving it to file!

This sounds amazing, but I must be missing something, or confused about what this means, because this doesn't work for me. (drag drop from explorer, that is)

This sounds amazing, but I must be missing something, or confused about what this means, because this doesn't work for me. (drag drop from explorer, that is)

Yes we discussed this above, thinking maybe it was a Vista x64 issue. Is that what you're using?

• Contributor

Hey Guys Its working here? Dunno why, using Fire fox Latest ver. See included pic. Wondering what your dragging onto viewport. are you maximising the picture to its full size maybe there is a problem if the web page is scaling the image for insyance Google image search scales the thumbnails then when selecting you often have to sacle to full size in order to get the correct preview. Im Vista 64 BTW. I had no permission check so maybe its a UAC issue?

[Edit] I confirm it does not always, maybe its when say the image has been optimised for web as in Gif or PNG? I can drag and drop most images from Google image search but simple drag drop of Optimised web graphic not working.

post-1266-1252573072_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hey Guys Its working here? Dunno why, using Fire fox Latest ver. See included pic. Wondering what your dragging onto viewport. are you maximising the picture to its full size maybe there is a problem if the web page is scaling the image for insyance Google image search scales the thumbnails then when selecting you often have to sacle to full size in order to get the correct preview. Im Vista 64 BTW. I had no permission check so maybe its a UAC issue?

[Edit] I confirm it does not always, maybe its when say the image has been optimised for web as in Gif or PNG? I can drag and drop most images from Google image search but simple drag drop of Optimised web graphic not working.

Mmhh... Vista x64 and FF latest. The attachment illustrates how far I got with drag and drop...

post-1633-1252576065_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Mmhh... Vista x64 and FF latest. The attachment illustrates how far I got with drag and drop...

mmm. I did recemtly update my C++ runtimes. But i dont think that is it, Am i the only person it works for?

I test No Gif Images!

Jpg Work fine.

Last image is Png, That does not import either

post-1266-1252578846_thumb.jpg

post-1266-1252578954_thumb.jpg

post-1266-1252579117_thumb.png

• Contributor

IMHO images open preview beter than drag-drop. And bug fixes beter than preview.

But its only my opinion, dont listen to me, make more popular stuff. :(

How many of you drag-drop images (especially GIF) from web in everyday work, be honor?

Maybe beter count undesirable polys generated in retopo mode while zooming.

*frustrated*

IMHO images open preview beter than drag-drop. And bug fixes beter than preview.

How many of you drag-drop images (especially GIF) from web in everyday work, be honor?

*frustrated*

Possibly I missed something. Please explain the bug.

What about drag&drop - the main thing there is dragging files from Finder/explorer. Drag from web is just addition to that.

And my workflow is in mixing bugfixes and adding features. So next wave is bugfixes. Don't worry.

I just tried searching Google for the word House and tried dragging in every image that came up on the first page of the search, even a picture of Hugh Laurie that was mixed in. That is to say, the full sized images, not just the thumbnails. They all made the cursor turn into a circle-slash.

• Advanced Member

*frustrated*

Actually, I have to agree with you... It seems useful but its usefulness is quite limited. I hardly drag and drop images from a web page onto an application myself. I save it to the HDD and select it from where I saved. Old school... :p