3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

I attached a file, horn is not captured at all unless a curve is drawn also it hangs sometimes indefinitely.

Hanging seems random and not setting related.

Im aiming at 1000-2000 polys,this is the value you should use when testing this file,any higher polycount would be absurd for such a simple object as Im trying to get lowpoly autopo for game models.

attachicon.gifhorn.zip

• Contributor

thx Carlosan

using extrude 1.0 to beef up thin rim and using 1.2 auto density I get much much much :) better result

but it still refuse to capture horn properly unless a curve is used.It really seems autopo routine does not like that shape at all but

its a pretty simple shape,its just one big curved spike.

post-1195-0-04488400-1381764638_thumb.jp

btw you should add progress bars to creating crossfield/parametrization ect...otherwize some users might think 3DC is frozen as calculation can be sometimes long.Right now there is only progress bars for the few last processes.

• Advanced Member

My test:

the model was scaled x3

and translated to global center coordinates 0,0,0,

attachicon.gifhorn.3b - 3D-COAT 4.0.08(CUDA)(DX64)_2.jpg

attachicon.gifhorn.3b - 3D-COAT 4.0.08(CUDA)(DX64).jpg

Wow,  that is a really big difference.  How did you know to scale it up?

mmm

using same autopo params ?

:huh:

lets try again

leave rotate axis OFF

scale 400% using transform tool

No symmetry

AUTOPO

Create edge loops with autopo ON

Autopo params = same config

density modulator 2, but nothing was painted - next

edge flow, nothing draw - next

and....

• Contributor

:huh:

lets try again

leave rotate axis OFF

scale 400%

No symmetry

AUTOPO

Create edge loops with autopo ON

Autopo params = same config

decsity modulator 2, but nothing was painted - next

edge flow, nothing draw - next

and....

I get very good result :) ..I was increasing scale from voxtree rmb menu increase object so maybee it is reason why it did not work like you

.post-1195-0-19338500-1381777800_thumb.jp

Andrew how are we supposed to know right scale of model to use?....the routine should workcorrectly  regardless of scale/postion.

• Contributor

Yeah I'm hitting 85% and freezing up so bad it's beyond Ctl Alt Del.

he was using 7b are using latest from today 4.0.08?

I did not experience freezing or crashes yet with it .

Edited by artman

• Contributor

Yep that's 4.0.08 I downloaded it last night

better send file to Andrew along settings used asap so he can reproduce freezing ,Im sure he wants to get autoretopo stabilized finally so he can move to other stuff.On my side I did not experience freezing yet but Im using very lightweight file and settings.

• Contributor

So the algorythm is scale dependent? Where did you guys scale to 400%?

carlosan used Transform tool I think,I used voxtree rmb IncreaseObject2x but it seems it only work with transform tool as I did not get improvements when using increaseobject2X.Anyway,all this is very strange procedure....Im pretty sure Andrew will find a way so we dont have to fiddle with scale,,,

• Advanced Member

Mine just goes through the motions and doesn't spit anything out at all....

sorry ... after about 20 minutes of trying different settings I managed to get about 10 tris on one attempt....even with the default head and body busts....not sure whats going on 

Edited by manticor

• Reputable Contributor

Mine just goes through the motions and doesn't spit anything out at all....

sorry ... after about 20 minutes of trying different settings I managed to get about 10 tris on one attempt....even with the default head and body busts....not sure whats going on 

I was having a bunch of issues until I followed some tips Andrew mentioned earlier in this thread. This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMkWrnl4ds&feature=c4-overview&list=UUkj0Q5hTgsyROJU4dlNu0Mg

Plus...you never mentioned what build you were using, and what settings.

• Advanced Member

4.08 doesn't seem to do autoretopo well.

Doesn't follow polygon count input, doesn't follow painted density input.

But it is stable and fast like old autoretopo.

Anyone getting the same good polyflow and polycount as 4.07b?

• Contributor

On some object Im getting very good results in 4,0.08,for example the collar and point of the v shape at the bottom of this object was never captured correctly in previous builds,even with guides..now it works very nice.

post-1195-0-82798000-1381862680_thumb.jp

On some object Im getting very good results in 4,0.08,for example the collar and point of the v shape at the bottom of this object was never captured correctly in previous builds,even with guides..now it works very nice.

attachicon.gifgood.jpg

Hi Christian,

Do you still need to tinker with the scale settings to get these results? I'm hoping not.

That looks really good! It's quite thin even.

• Contributor

Hi Christian,

Do you still need to tinker with the scale settings to get these results? I'm hoping not.

That looks really good! It's quite thin even.

yes as carlosan showed scale seems to be still relevant factor,but  I dont understand how it works....Im just doing multiple tests and keeping best result.

:)  Its hard especially when using guides...even very few guides will sometimes create a mess, sometimes gives good result. Even if I follow Andrew's recommendation about drawing guides I seem to only get good result when I use 2-3 guides max.Overall I would say 4.0.08 gives better results but other users dont experience same thing it seems.

• Advanced Member

I think Andrew is almost there...I managed with transform scale and autopo tests.I think work well.I have problems in borders and circular forms in legs and hands. No use guides.I think this will be nice very soon.
autoretopo1.jpg

autoretopo2.jpg

• Advanced Member

I was having a bunch of issues until I followed some tips Andrew mentioned earlier in this thread. This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMkWrnl4ds&feature=c4-overview&list=UUkj0Q5hTgsyROJU4dlNu0Mg

Plus...you never mentioned what build you were using, and what settings.

Doh !My Bad!

I mistakenly put 5 polys instead of 5000 polys in the dialogue box.....must be from using zremesher so often that I automatically did the same thing in Autopo.

yes as carlosan showed scale seems to be still relevant factor,but  I dont understand how it works....Im just doing multiple tests and keeping best result.

:)  Its hard especially when using guides...even very few guides will sometimes create a mess, sometimes gives good result. Even if I follow Andrew's recommendation about drawing guides I seem to only get good result when I use 2-3 guides max.Overall I would say 4.0.08 gives better results but other users dont experience same thing it seems.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :)

• Contributor

Checked the autopo routine for curiosity's sake. Not bad.

Default settings, no guide, no density painting, no scaling.

I guess with density painting and a higher polycount it could be almost perfect.

alienretopotest.jpg

I still think this could hit the spot with a reproject but.... well.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Checked the autopo routine for curiosity's sake. Not bad.

Default settings, no guide, no density painting, no scaling.

I guess with density painting and a higher polycount it could be almost perfect.

alienretopotest.jpg

I still think this could hit the spot with a reproject but.... well.

That is pretty amazing, if you ask me. If someone would have suggested, years ago (before Andrew developed Auto-Retopo), you could get a result like that automatically, our jaws would have hit the floor. I actually think it's somewhat of a good thing that Zbrush offers good remeshing tools like this, as well. Obviously, competition is the engine of innovation, but it also makes the prospect of modeling in these types of applications more and more feasible, industry-wide. Simply piddling with vertices and edges is time-consuming, in itself. When you can model and sculpt both, without concern for such things, then have the app quickly add the topology, it changes the game entirely.

Edited by AbnRanger
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

4.08 doesn't seem to do autoretopo well.

Doesn't follow polygon count input, doesn't follow painted density input.

But it is stable and fast like old autoretopo.

Anyone getting the same good polyflow and polycount as 4.07b?

I uninstalled 3dcoat and deleted mydoc folders.

Now its working. Just can't minimize 3dcoat while processing or it will stop responding.

• Advanced Member

Hmmm...

I think if symmetry plane is on (x) before starting retopo process, the output is not good. I turned off symmetry before retopo process and result is good mesh.

4.07 produced similar quality retopo mesh when symmetry is on or off.

4.08 doesn't seem to do well when symmetry is on.

Edited by geo_n

Updated to 4.0.07A

1) Enabling hardsurface on soft meshes will give wrong result

2) Symmetry is very important!

3) Too many guidelines may drop down quality. Mark only really important guides. But in most cases guides are not required at all.

Andrew at 4.0.07 told about symmetry... but i always tested autopo with symmetry off...

same horn object

first test

enable symmetry planes ON

After all process no mesh was created, but yes a new retopo layer groups was

---------------

2nd test

enable symmetry planes ON