3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Andrew at 4.0.07 told about symmetry... but i always tested autopo with symmetry off...

same horn object

first test

enable symmetry planes ON

After all process no mesh was created, but yes a new retopo layer groups was

---------------

2nd test

enable symmetry planes ON

attachicon.gifhorn.3b - 3D-COAT 4.0.08(CUDA)(DX64)_2.jpg

1st and 2nd test have symmetry ON but two different results?

• Advanced Member

I find this latest version of autopo almost perfect .I've been testing with a female figure and it captured everything very well with only a few strokes .the only let down is on the face area ,it makes a mess of the face ,even with guides to direct flow and even with density painting that it seems to ignore .The good thing about this tho is that it creates edge loops and because of that reason ,I'm using autopo over zremesher as it is a lot easier to optimise and modify ,and also the uv tools are great for marking out seams .Something that would take the best part of a day has turned into a 30 minute job ( retopo,modify ,uv and then bake in xnormal) .if 3dc had Unity's tangent basis normal map output ,real AO and curvature map output ,I would stay in 3dc for the whole lot.

I would say that it 90 % complete ,just needs a little further refinement.

• Like 1

manticor hit the nail, i agree 1000% (and dont forget lightmaps too)

and man, the result is amazing... face and fingers needs some love but, who cares... i didnt use any guides

overall shape is perfect and... NO SPIRALS ANYMORE !!!

this version changed my professional life in an amazing new ways of possibilities... and some personal projects come to life again now that can be autopo in an easy way...

• Advanced Member

I just tried the OSX build. 

The new auto retopology is impressive already. I didn't scale the original voxel because it was big enough. 

I tried to export the mesh (it seems this build is a demo?). I saved the file and I was able to export from the registered 3dc v4. 

Anyway, lot of manifolds near the symmetry line. A complete mess of overlapping faces there. I exported a ~2000 faces mesh. 

Lot of work to clean it (in blender) (edit: LOL, I figured out how to clean it up in 2 seconds in blender ) 

Great work Andrew, with the exception of this symmetry issue. 

• Reputable Contributor

I just tried the OSX build. 

The new auto retopology is impressive already. I didn't scale the original voxel because it was big enough. 

I tried to export the mesh (it seems this build is a demo?). I saved the file and I was able to export from the registered 3dc v4. 

Anyway, lot of manifolds near the symmetry line. A complete mess of overlapping faces there. I exported a ~2000 faces mesh. 

Lot of work to clean it (in blender) (edit: LOL, I figured out how to clean it up in 2 seconds in blender ) 

Great work Andrew, with the exception of this symmetry issue. 

Did you have Mirror snapping at 0? Try and use a value of 30-40.

Edited by AbnRanger

Mac & Linux build 4.0.08 uploaded.

Were there any changes made to the Remesh (enter key) operation? Most of the time, but not always, I'll get a popup window with a "Required polycount" dialog. This is new.

Try this. Choose the large sphere from the Surface mode splash screen. Use the Move tool to pull out a part of the sphere, hit the enter key and part of the mesh disappears. Polycount size and "Remove stretching" also has an effect on the mesh corruption. 

• Advanced Member

Nice job Andrew with V 4.0.08 Linux build, love the improvements with the Autopo, but I am getting some issues with Symmetry causing a double up of the edges at the centre of the mesh, its as if there was an extra edge loop added to the centre of the mesh.

T.

Nice job Andrew with V 4.0.08 Linux build, love the improvements with the Autopo, but I am getting some issues with Symmetry causing a double up of the edges at the centre of the mesh, its as if there was an extra edge loop added to the centre of the mesh.

T.

Please show screenshot, maybe it is Mac/Linux specific so I have not noticed it.

Generally symmetry should improve result greatly.

• Advanced Member

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&p=100857

• Advanced Member

Please show screenshot, maybe it is Mac/Linux specific so I have not noticed it.

Generally symmetry should improve result greatly.

A screen shot won't show the extra edge at the centre of the mesh as it it located in the same space as the centre edge that you can see, maybe I'm doing something wrong or I haven't got the settings right, I will do more testing, but one thing for sure is that with symmetry turned off the mesh which is created is very nice. There was a couple of overlaps, but they were easily fixed, looks like I will have to put ZB aside for now.

T..

• Advanced Member

Very impressed Andrew, good work with the Retopo (Autopo), using strokes with symmetry works very well to produce a mesh with great edge flow, the problem I had before was due to not setting the Mirror snapping to more than zero (25%), I think that this setting should be default at something above 0%.

T.

Long standing problem in 3DC that I just came across again. It seems that all of the functions in the Paint room Hide menu not only affect things hidden with the Hide tool, but also anything hidden with an eye icon. So for example in my current project I have a whole room with about a dozen items on the Materials panel and I've hidden all but one of them with their "eyes".  On the one that's left I've hidden several polys with the Hide tool. I finished my painting and want to invert it so that I can paint the rest of that object. Here's the problem. Invert Hidden Faces from the menu makes the entire room visible except for the polys I was just painting on.  if I click any of the eye icons everything disappears except the one material I was working on. So the only way for me to do that Invert Hidden trick is to have all of the Materials showing all the time.

• Advanced Member

I just discovered that painting a density map with Autopo is not a good idea, the resulting mesh under the area which i painted the density came out pretty crappy.

If I reduce the mesh from 20K to 5K then the density masking works much better, but still needed a bit of manual attention, but all in all the result was very good.

• Advanced Member

If what you get isn't symetrical, can you show what it is?

Just get any symmetrical object, autopo it to get your mesh, do a symmetrical copy of its group, then create some seams and unwrap the uv's with mirror turned on, I assumed that you would get a symmetrical uv map, but it's not.

T.

• Advanced Member

Is there a trick to getting a low rez mesh with baked displacement using merge to scene MV? I have spent all day today but the only way I have found to get a good quality displacement (fine details from the sculpt), into the paint room is to subdivide the low rez mesh in the retopo room a few times before merging. This used to work but I cannot get it to work now. Sub dividing the low rez retopo mesh defeats the whole point. I just want to get my low rez, retopo mesh with baked high detailed displacement map out of 3DCoat. Am I doing something wrong, or has something changed, I think I've been using ZB for way too long. I did get around this by exporting out my low rez, retopo, uved mesh before sub dividing it and later, using that as my low rez mesh and generating maps from the sub divided mesh, surely this is not the way to go, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

Are you maybe forgetting to set the millions of polygons that 3DCoat internally uses to create your displacement map... (not the carcass amount). It has to be greater than the amount of pixels in your texture otherwise the displacement map will be low in quality... I get fairly good displacement maps from 3DCoat...

As you see in my pic the  texture is 4k and the amount of polygons is only 1 million, that is an incorrect settting...   You need at least 16 million to 18 million for a 4k image...

Linux version 4.0.08 64 bit...

post-518-0-16383600-1382707325_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@ Tser, This goes with the above post and just to be sure, you are exporting from the file menu \ export for the better settings of your displacement maps and not under the textures menu. I think you are as an experienced 3DCoat user but I put it here for others. I use the 32 bit Exr file format for my displacement maps to be used in Blender.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Andrew I have been using "Snap to closest along normal" because when I used the other method I kept getting areas which were devoid of uv coverage (invisible with moving checker pattern), I tried the spheres of influence with the "Snap to outer surface" but they didn't help, the only way which captured a clean map was with the  "Snap to closest along normal" method.

Digman, I set the "millions of polygons" to 16, then 20 then tried 32 but the result was the same, I used a 4k map size also, I exported from the File>Export model, I tried to export just the displacement map from the Textures>Export but this resulted in just a plain grey map with no details on it, I tried Tiff format.

Why should this be so hard to do? it never used to be.

T.

I've recently experienced similar result Tser. I reported it, but then it wasn't happening. Then, it happens again. I can't nail down why. So if you have a great example scene to send Andrew, please definitely do. I, and I'm sure you, want this bug fixed asap. It makes painting completely unusable when it happens.