3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

if I use just one small curve on tip to guide I get 2 disconnected objects

post-1195-0-80330400-1382898690_thumb.jp

if I use 1 long curve to guide to the tip the arrows are messed up.

on other objects I get very good results on some others not so good.

Updated to 4.0.09 (Win, beta)

Changes:

- Quadrangulation tweaked to get better capturing of narrow details and better quality in average

- Several critical bugs from Mantis fixed - especially vertex painting with symmetry, see list there - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

- script can be called from command line

- PSD files may be exported from File->Export dialog as one of textures type. Also if obj/lwo/fbx files refer PSD file, it will be imported correctly as well. It is especially important for AppLinks.

- VoxLayer got Round profile for edge as option.

Mac&Linux builds will be done soon as well.

Looking forward to trying this build out. Thanks Andrew. :)

PS - The only problem is, download speed: Very slow.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.0.09 (Win, beta)

Changes:

- Quadrangulation tweaked to get better capturing of narrow details and better quality in average

- Several critical bugs from Mantis fixed - especially vertex painting with symmetry, see list there - http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

- script can be called from command line

- PSD files may be exported from File->Export dialog as one of textures type. Also if obj/lwo/fbx files refer PSD file, it will be imported correctly as well. It is especially important for AppLinks.

- VoxLayer got Round profile for edge as option.

Mac&Linux builds will be done soon as well.

Thanks Andrew. Would it be possible to multi-thread the brush selection in all the tools that use it (VoxLayer/Extrude, Angulator, Smoother, etc.)? It's painfully slow. if one switches to the freeze tool, the brush selection is extremely fast. Maybe use an internal script that uses the freeze tool to select (while brushing) and then add the green border once the use releases the LMB button/Stylus?

• Contributor

Thanks Andrew. Would it be possible to multi-thread the brush selection in all the tools that use it (VoxLayer/Extrude, Angulator, Smoother, etc.)? It's painfully slow. if one switches to the freeze tool, the brush selection is extremely fast. Maybe use an internal script that uses the freeze tool to select (while brushing) and then add the green border once the use releases the LMB button/Stylus?

Multithreading of the "green border selection" would save us a lot time. And spare us complicating our lives by having to use the freeze tool first in order to make the selection. Please Andrew, consider this in the next version.

À propos green border selection... Does everything within its borders is 100% selected even if there are freeze gradient patterns visible inside it, which would suggest that it's otherwise?

if I use just one small curve on tip to guide I get 2 disconnected objects

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

if I use 1 long curve to guide to the tip the arrows are messed up.

on other objects I get very good results on some others not so good.

Conical shapes are generally very hard for autoretopo because density of quads should change a lot along the horn. So a lot depends on density there.

I sill have n ot won that horn, but on horns with low angle and on tubes it should work very well.

• Advanced Member

Positive attitude Andrew.

Beat the horn. For the win! Kidding

Btw will buying gfx card with higher ram affect 3dcoat significantly? Significant being 50% productivity.

From 2gb card to 4gb card. If not I'll just invest on another render node for my mini farm.

• Contributor

Conical shapes are generally very hard for autoretopo because density of quads should change a lot along the horn. So a lot depends on density there.

I sill have n ot won that horn, but on horns with low angle and on tubes it should work very well.

Ok,anyway it is still much better than original routine. :)

I just wish  curve usage would be less occult science,

Sometimes I have the feeling guides are not only directing the meshflow but also concentrating density(maybe Im wrong) and it conflicts with auto-density and this is why sometimes even 1 guide can turn the result into mess even if it respect the rules in the little manual.If guides would only direct meshflow and not concentrate density I think maybe such mess could be avoided.Im at a point right now where Im even afraid to use curves. :rofl:

• Reputable Contributor

First Great Job on the new AutoRetopo routines Andrew... Makes creating meshes for organic statics models really fast.... :drinks:

One thing I have noticed is if I put the Auto-Density down to zero and create my own painted density settings in the old panel that comes up, it appears to be ignored... I get no extra polygons in the areas that I painted the density for the created retopo mesh.  For now I just let the auto density handle it and it does a pretty job...

I am learning how to place the curves... The new routine follows the curvature of the model quite well. My way of putting curves is also following the curvature of the model just to help the routine do a better job in some areas. So far in my testing it has been working out well, not perfect but still 100 times better than the old routine...

Edited by digman

Positive attitude Andrew.

Beat the horn. For the win! Kidding

Btw will buying gfx card with higher ram affect 3dcoat significantly? Significant being 50% productivity.

From 2gb card to 4gb card. If not I'll just invest on another render node for my mini farm.

2->4 gb up will nut give +50% productivity.

It may only give possibility to work with multiple 8K textures.

• Advanced Member
Mac&Linux 4.0.09 builds uploaded 

Thank you. 

I tested the new autoretopology only. 

I had some very interesting results. I already used some of them. (in my personal workflow lol) 

I noticed that half of the 16 threads of my dual xeon are in use when 3dc calculates topology. Is it normal? (OSX build) 

• Reputable Contributor

After further testing, I would say that adding curves for the auto-retopo does not appear to be a problem but that is only after a several hours of testing... I even added  more curves than Andrew advised to just to test but I have more problems with the density not seeming to work as expected... 

I could have used more polygons around the eye and nose /mouth area but it put more polygons leading up to the back horns which could have been less, ignoring the density that I had painted...

Painting density seems somewhat broken in the newest betas...  Painting my own density does not give me more polygons in the areas I want. Sometimes it does, in most cases it does not... Turning down auto- density to zero and painting my own density with it's own degree has no effect at all...

All and all I still have to say that producing such a great work in such a short time Andrew, wlll you still amaze me...

The retopo mesh shown as some edge flow problems but for a static model more that good enough... I did add one edge loop after the retopo mesh was completed around the eye...

Linux version 4.0.09 64 bit non-cuda...

post-518-0-63873200-1383009335_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Interesting result there David. 

The new autopo follows hard surf areas well. 

It doesn't follow less carved areas (like the scale pattern) 

Something to do with the density? I tried to increase it a lot. It took for ever but it seems it worked a little better. 

Still, multithreaded but insists to use half of the power of my CPUs. 

Oh, the new autopo seems to suffer from endless spiral loops (like z remesher). 

I'm not sure if it will be ever possible to avoid this annoying thing. 

Still dreaming of the day we will be able to manually retopo a few parts (loops)  and ask the app to fill the rest. LOL

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, the lasted test on a more complicated model... I ran a few curves on the ridges to help capture them with better edge flow... That worked out real well.

99% of the work was done by the auto-routine. I added few polygons around the eye, placed maybe about 10 other polygons on the model and 2 edge loops plus fixed up the symmetry line in spots. I slid two edge loops to position them slightly better.

After talking to anther user and him banging it into my head, I just now use small increments pass 1.0 on the auto-density which really appears to work the best for now... No manual density painting.

The auto-retopo would saved me hours of manual retopo work on a static model. Of course for a game model it would be rather high in polygon count but I use most models for just rendering.

5573 polygons all quads...

post-518-0-89880100-1383061230_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, the lasted test on a more complicated model... I ran a few curves on the ridges to help capture them with better edge flow... That worked out real well.

99% of the work was done by the auto-routine. I added few polygons around the eye, placed maybe about 10 other polygons on the model and 2 edge loops plus fixed up the symmetry line in spots. I slid two edge loops to position them slightly better.

After talking to anther user and him banging it into my head, I just now use small increments pass 1.0 on the auto-density which really appears to work the best for now... No manual density painting.

The auto-retopo would saved me hours of manual retopo work on a static model. Of course for a game model it would be rather high in polygon count but I use most models for just rendering.

5573 polygons all quads...

Dang, that is a nice job. Pretty amazing stuff.

• Advanced Member

The tweaked autopo routine is better on finer details but not so good on larger areas, seems like the opposite of what it was before, but I don't mind, the larger areas are easy to fix up, My only issue now is the UV map routine, it gives less map space in areas where I need more map space so I have to do a lot of uv manipulation, if there was a way to influence the density of the uv map like the way you infuence the density of the Autopo routine with density painting this would be much better.

• Advanced Member

Interesting result there David. 

The new autopo follows hard surf areas well. 

It doesn't follow less carved areas (like the scale pattern) 

Something to do with the density? I tried to increase it a lot. It took for ever but it seems it worked a little better. 

Still, multithreaded but insists to use half of the power of my CPUs. 

Oh, the new autopo seems to suffer from endless spiral loops (like z remesher). 

I'm not sure if it will be ever possible to avoid this annoying thing. 

Still dreaming of the day we will be able to manually retopo a few parts (loops)  and ask the app to fill the rest. LOL

I have 24 threads on my Linux box and all are being used here.

• Advanced Member

O.K. I have run into a bit of a problem, when defining the Zones for the Baking, the numbering is there in the list of the column "N", but when I go to Merge into scene the numbers disappear, making it VERY difficult to tweak the zones later for other attempts at Merging to scene. The numbering gets removed, is this an easy fix Andrew?

edit: This problem seems to be intermittent because after lots of merges into the scene it is now not deleting the numbers in the column, so I don't know what causes the numbers to disappear, but they were disappearing after I merged to scene (MV).

Edited by Tser

• Reputable Contributor

This test was for creating a mesh for animation using the auto-retopo... Working to get decent edge flow for deformation...

Continue to learn where to place curves to get good edge flow and to break the spiraling of some edge loops.

4 fingers need some clean-up and around the top of the ear and a few other places but all in all not too bad...

I need to get his horns better and and break a few more spirals. I was still in the progress on working on the mesh testing but thought this was good enough to show...

When you add more curves it alters the flow so that is learning process how to place them and make sure things stay working all over like they should. Once learned though smooth sailing and quick...

6250 polygons

Linux version 4.0.09...

post-518-0-46974300-1383122686_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Digman,

That's a pretty good wrap.  I like the general flow and you're right, it's got a couple of areas to fix, but they don't look like much work.

I also tested the routine with some curve adjustments and less polygons (3900). I  got pretty good results.... I am done testing now and know how I can use the routine in most cases to get what I want or close to it then make the few adjustments I need.

Here are my thoughts on the big picture of what we have now compared to old routine.

Having all quads with no ngons or triangles, Simply great...

The quads following the curvature of the model, Fantastic...

What can be improved...

Less spiraling loops, right now I have to place breaking curves to keep the flow going where I want it and to get rid of the spiraling edge loops.

The curves following the model's larger curvature areas with more polygons by default in the routine. Some areas get too big and elongated polygons. Right now I correct that by placing a curve or two in that area and it fills in more polygons...

Density painting appears to be buggy. This has been mentioned before by others and myself.

A big thank you Andrew for the new routine. :clapping:

I know you said you figured out a better way but with a few more adjustments this routine can be even better until you code in the new idea.

Linux version 4.0.09 64 bit non-cuda.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Digman, I agree totally, great job Andrew, my ZB is now gathering dust in the corner, the only problem I can now see in 3DCoat is that a lot of knowledge on the program is needed to get good results out of it, a lot of settings don't come set to a position which would suit the new user, it takes many trial and error attempts to get a good result, the surface brushes have evolved to become very user friendly due to the amount of effort which has gone into them, I think more effort should be put into the creation and manipulation of the UV's and the automatic generation of zones for easier baking and removal or reduction of the specular highlights on the zone spheres, this highlight is very annoying.