3DCoat Forums

Anyway, stop to add new features :D

Actually brushes give not the same experience than zbrush (are quite far to be comparable).

I told this a lot of time in the past, but I have to repeat it.

Even with cuda and my supercomputer, with a polycount of 4 millions, brushes could work in a fast way only with a veeeery little radius.

I have to say that moving large volumes is really important, because is with this feature that you can really give a shape to your sculpture

Currently I tried 3D coat only to build base shapes to be quadrangulated and then exported to zbrush, but it would be so nice if you could do all in 3dcoat.

I agree with BluEgo. I follow every day 3D-Coat improvements because I hope that it will be The Solution I'm waiting for a long time. I hate ZBrush for lots of reasons but I can't throw it up because of its features. Now I'm waiting for 3D-Coat to become The Solution !!! Available versions don't allow me to quit ZBrush now.

Wait and see :rolleyes:

• Contributor
Anyway, stop to add new features :D

Actually brushes give not the same experience than zbrush (are quite far to be comparable).

I told this a lot of time in the past, but I have to repeat it.

Even with cuda and my supercomputer, with a polycount of 4 millions, brushes could work in a fast way only with a veeeery little radius.

I have to say that moving large volumes is really important, because is with this feature that you can really give a shape to your sculpture

Currently I tried 3D coat only to build base shapes to be quadrangulated and then exported to zbrush, but it would be so nice if you could do all in 3dcoat.

When Andrew add new special features it is usually because they are easy to implement in all,they don't slow down the developemnt of the scheduled work.

Don't worry.he is very well aware of the complains about sculpting (and every other aspects in terms of needs from users)

For myself,I find volumetric sculpting sculpting extremely efficient,fast and fluid.

I just use larger brush earlier in the process.(I work like that in zb and mb anyway)

When Andrew add new special features it is usually because they are easy to implement in all,they don't slow down the developemnt of the scheduled work.

Don't worry.he is very well aware of the complains about sculpting (and every other aspects in terms of needs from users)

For myself,I find volumetric sculpting sculpting extremely efficient,fast and fluid.

I just use larger brush earlier in the process.(I work like that in zb and mb anyway)

Really, I have add cloth ONLY because of relation

Coolness

----------- >> 1

Time cost

Of course I working over brushes improvements but it is harder. Hope I will make update tomorrow.

Oh, I was not able to resist temptation again... And it is result...

cloth.png

I was so easy and natural to implement cloth processing in volumetric approach... I was not able to avoid it.

Cool!, Now for your next trick..... How about Realtime Paint Physics! Drop a paint bucket on the object and let CFD drip over the objects via gravity,

while allowing rotation etc of the object being splashed. I want drips of ink running down my 3D objects.... :)

• Advanced Member

Could someone please explain me the concept of SubObjects in the Voxel-Tree?

I assumed that there was a bit of hierarchy involved. In a way that:

- The Sub-Object gets deformed too when the Object of the parent layer is being sculpted (parent layer active)

- The sub-object deforms alone when the Sublayer is active

This presently does not seem to be the case. So sublayers are only a way of grouping separate parts together or

do I miss something important?

thanks, Holger

• Advanced Member
low poly paint hasnt been implemented so i doubt they have problems with the current version ;)

oi, I didn't say it had been implemented!. :)

I'm just trying to figure out why people are having problems with the current method of painting, regardless of what that method is.

I'm assuming 3D Coat's painting method is vertex painting and intitially I had reservations about that method because of my experience in ZBrush with complex models. But after actually using 3D Coat's painting tools I've found the performance to be fine. But this could be because I have a decent video card.

I dunno, maybe there's other issues surrounding the current painting method that I'm unaware of. It's just that I would hate to see Andrew spend ages on adding 'direct painting to texture' when it may not be necessary.

• Advanced Member
Could someone please explain me the concept of SubObjects in the Voxel-Tree?

I assumed that there was a bit of hierarchy involved. In a way that:

- The Sub-Object gets deformed too when the Object of the parent layer is being sculpted (parent layer active)

- The sub-object deforms alone when the Sublayer is active

This presently does not seem to be the case. So sublayers are only a way of grouping separate parts together or

do I miss something important?

thanks, Holger

Yep, I think it's really just for grouping.

Who knows, maybe Andrew will add fancy capabilities later on. Blending options might be nice!. :)

oi, I didn't say it had been implemented!. :)

I'm just trying to figure out why people are having problems with the current method of painting, regardless of what that method is.

I'm assuming 3D Coat's painting method is vertex painting and intitially I had reservations about that method because of my experience in ZBrush with complex models. But after actually using 3D Coat's painting tools I've found the performance to be fine. But this could be because I have a decent video card.

I dunno, maybe there's other issues surrounding the current painting method that I'm unaware of. It's just that I would hate to see Andrew spend ages on adding 'direct painting to texture' when it may not be necessary.

no i don't think he waisted his time.

painting to texture can be very handy to work in larger pipelines, and to better share work with other artists.

ZBrush misses it. Modo has it, for example...

• Advanced Member
no i don't think he waisted his time.

painting to texture can be very handy to work in larger pipelines, and to better share work with other artists.

ZBrush misses it. Modo has it, for example...

Isn't it already possible to export your painting as a texture which can then be shared with other artists?

I mean how does 3D Coat's internal method of painting change things? At the end of the day you still have a model and a texture saved to your hard drive.

I hope I don't come across as argumentative. I just want to make sure we're all clear about what it is we're wanting from texture painting. If people feel it's difficult to import or export a texture with 3D Coat then maybe Andrew could look into that, rather than rewrite the internal painting tools.

The essential advantage of direct painting is that you are painting over lattice based not on geometry but on points in texture (no more millions of polygones parameter, millions = pixels on texture). So you paint in 3D but over pixels directly from texture (not over NxM subpatches based on initial object). Much better quality, all old funtions will work, no seams will appear. I think you will be able to choose method of painting during import procedure.

• Advanced Member
The essential advantage of direct painting is that you are painting over lattice based not on geometry but on points in texture (no more millions of polygones parameter, millions = pixels on texture). So you paint in 3D but over pixels directly from texture (not over NxM subpatches based on initial object). Much better quality, all old funtions will work, no seams will appear. I think you will be able to choose method of painting during import procedure.

I'm so confused. I don't understand how if your painting on the texture and not the 3d object, how u can have no seams? I would have thought that the texture would be limit by the uv edges?

It's be great is you could explain in simpleton terms. Thank you.

Ok I'm off to google the meaning "NxM subpatches" :)

Alpha 58 uploaded.

Changes

1) Cloth tool (read hints carefully)

2) Shaders system is essentially improved. Now shader maker can define own variables and user will be able to edit them (see shader Granit for example - there are comments in file Variables.xml)

3) Many important bugfixes

OSX users, please excuse. I worked hard many hours today to make OSX version, but there are 2 essential bugs (in Quadrangulation with symmetry and in cloth). As soon as I will fix them I will upload version. It is my main goal for today and tomorrow (I hope for today). I was sure all will be 100% solved today, but now I have doubt... Excuse because I promised...

• Advanced Member
Alpha 58 uploaded.

Changes

1) Cloth tool (read hints carefully)

2) Shaders system is essentially improved. Now shader maker can define own variables and user will be able to edit them (see shader Granit for example - there are comments in file Variables.xml)

3) Many important bugfixes

OSX users, please excuse. I worked hard many hours today to make OSX version, but there are 2 essential bugs (in Quadrangulation with symmetry and in cloth). As soon as I will fix them I will upload version. It is my main goal for today and tomorrow (I hope for today). I was sure all will be 100% solved today, but now I have doubt... Excuse because I promised...

No problem Andrew! I can wait :)

-TOXE

"Merge, On Pen" still needs more transform options than just shift x/y/z. it needs a way to change the orientation of the tool relative to the surface normal, and have it stick.

IE, add the size and angle manipulators, but the resulting angle is not relative to global coordinates, but to the surface normal used to orient it.

"Merge, On Pen" still needs more transform options than just shift x/y/z. it needs a way to change the orientation of the tool relative to the surface normal, and have it stick.

IE, add the size and angle manipulators, but the resulting angle is not relative to global coordinates, but to the surface normal used to orient it.

Agree and it will be done very soon. It is important.

• Contributor

O.K just a couple of minutes playing with clothe and I can see this is going to be fun to experiment with.Andrew How'd ya do it so fast? :)

You guys gotta try the new shader controls too they are great! Gotta play more, bye.

I had a trial period of 30 Days left.. After install of 58 It says that the trial period has expired and will now run in Demo mode..

That happened to me as well running 3d Coat Alpha 58 GL64 on Vista 64.

This never happened with previous Alphas. Is there a reason for this?

Cheers

Doug