3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
You're joking right ? You're talking about the software that is so mature that it crashes every 30 minutes, and had no update for 1 year with moderators who ban you from the forum for saying it ?

Anyway, Andrews is doing a good job at bufixes so far at an astonishing rythm, I hope he keeps going like that, not like some traitor si** software developpers... And at least he got a 2.0 version which is stable and perfectly usable.

I was trying to compare the slowlness of AD AND Silo to the speed of 3DC, which i did not do very successfully. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

yes. It's a shame what happened with silo. I used to use it so much but it crashes so often that I can't rely on it within a production workflow beyond merely box modeling base meshes.

Things really started turning sour on the Silo forums when the developers went silent. It's catch-22 over there. I guess the less Feed and Jamchild participated on the boards the more bitter it became and who can go to work and be enthusiastic when every day your colleagues constantly complain about your work. It would be impossible to remain positive.

I see a similar forum pattern here on the 3DC forums where Andrew is a very active participant so my only hope is that he doesn't burn out with all the requests, bug reports and complaints. Ok the users here have helped mould 3DC into what it is today and will do in the future but I see it as a dangerous thing the more popular it becomes.

I would really not like to see things here turn as ugly even with personal gripes. I hope things remain constructive/productive & objective.

• Advanced Member
Updated to 3.00.08I

Changes:

- Important addition - possibility to merge in painting and voxel modes not only obj...lwo files but 3B scenes too. If will be possible from File->Merge or from Merge tool in voxels

Thank you very much Sir!

Bug!

v3.00.08I Vista 64, DX & GL 64 bit

When using a custom render size, the rendered image has interlacing. I tried various sizes, and settings. It is only affected by custom render sizes.

Are you sure that you have not pressed ESC during render?

I checked, big render works fine on my side.

• Advanced Member
It works for me... Choose other shader and test if other options like color work.

Yeah I tried all the shaders. Any that have opacity as a setting did not work. Though modifying other parameters like color does work. I am testing it on an iMac though and I believe the video card it uses is an older ATI card so maybe that is part of the problem. I can try it on a pc with a better card at the studio on Monday.

Retopo bug:

I retopoed a sculpt with symmetry, leaving the center open. I applied symmetry and sealed the mesh around the center.

Later on, I decided to redo part of the retopo. I worked in symmetry again, and when I applied it, it created overlapping polys throughout the center of the retopo. Not a big deal and easy to fix, but it seems like a bug.

• Advanced Member
Retopo bug:

I retopoed a sculpt with symmetry, leaving the center open. I applied symmetry and sealed the mesh around the center.

Later on, I decided to redo part of the retopo. I worked in symmetry again, and when I applied it, it created overlapping polys throughout the center of the retopo. Not a big deal and easy to fix, but it seems like a bug.

I think this has to do with the mirror snapping. I find it tends to pull geometry towards the mirror seam too easily at the default, so I usually lower it down to around 50% or so when doing manual retopo work. The auto meshing always creates overlapping geometry at the seam so I always end up deleting all the geometry at the seam and rebuilding it by hand. Would be nice if this could be fixed, but overall it hasn't been a big deal to me.

• Contributor
Retopo bug:

I've noticed this myself but I don't think it is a bug, but a consequence of having already saved a completed retopo. A work around might be to delete from the other side whatever is going to be changed. When completed, in the Vox Tree menu, select "Apply axial symmetry" ( which you must have done originally). Now, of course, corrections to one side or the other are asymmetrical (as they would normally be). A clever upgrade to this functionality, would be that, when the symmetry plane is selected, corrections to one side would be matched on the other.

• Advanced Member
- I made hue/saturation/lightness/brightness/contrast/gamma controls for materials - in additional to distortion.

Awesome feature! Thanks Andrew! I have some requests for this new feature:

1. need a button to reset these controls by one click.

2. be able to save these controls like distortion does.

3. it's better to see full opacity image when adjusting these controls

4. the performance when adjusting values is laggy, maybe it's better just update the image in a window with full opacity and don't update the whole 3d scene.

Regards,

akira.

• Advanced Member

Thank you for the 64bit fix. Everything appears to be back to normal, no long waiting time anymore :good:

May I add a request please?

• Hold Shift = draw straight line in 45 degree steps

Im very used to this from various other applications and miss it in 3DC.

MS Office/Adobe PS and ZBrush all have it. It is very useful to draw straight lines or selections.

• Advanced Member
Thank you for the 64bit fix. Everything appears to be back to normal, no long waiting time anymore :good:

May I add a request please?

• Hold Shift = draw straight line in 45 degree steps

Im very used to this from various other applications and miss it in 3DC.

MS Office/Adobe PS and ZBrush all have it. It is very useful to draw straight lines or selections.

This feature is already available in Paint mode. Just doesn't available in Voxel mode yet. :)

• Advanced Member
This feature is already available in Paint mode. Just doesn't available in Voxel mode yet. :)

i see, thank you for the hint.

It appears in screen space though. BTW is it possible to turn off screen space operations such as gyro manipulation? I dont like it personally, I always have to switch to orthographic and another camera (right/front etc) before i can do my operation. Because i never ever use a screen plane/space for anything.

• Contributor

As for Shift key, it would be great to fix viewport while rotating, like in Z-brush. I just fall in love with this feature, really miss this in 3D-Coat.

Btw, isnt it time come to save "show symmetry plane" and render settings in user prefs? :) (And retopo "mirror snaping" value in scene)

• Contributor
The preview is still way too dark, at times it's black which makes it pretty much impossible to see what you're actually trying to do in the application.

/ Magnus

Try adjusting the Light intensity and Overall light, That was my exact observation till i played with those options.

Feature request - would be sperate settings for Overall light and Light intensity for Painting room and voxels room, Its a bit of a bind to alter things to texture and then re alter them for voxel's on so on....

• Contributor

Bug: Retopo mode, "Points&faces" tool (my favourite). When using it, rotating viewport actively, undesirable polygons appear on the model, connecting existing vertexes. It happens regularly, please fix it.

Bug: Retopo mode, "Points&faces" tool (my favourite). When using it, rotating viewport actively, undesirable polygons appear on the model, connecting existing vertexes. It happens regularly, please fix it.

That's strange, I'm using P&F a lot right now and haven't seen this. Perhaps something to do with the way you work. Pressing a key a half second too soon or too late or something?

• Contributor

After topology half done it happens very often bcos almost all area under cursor covered with vertexes, offering poly to create. I dont think its hard to fix, just forbid to add poly with this tool with right mouse btn when Alt key pressed.

• Advanced Member
As for Shift key, it would be great to fix viewport while rotating, like in Z-brush. I just fall in love with this feature, really miss this in 3D-Coat.

Oh yes, this would perfectly do the trick as well. In fact i was thinking of ZBrush when mentioning it.

This Version 3d-Coat-V3-00-08I-CUDA64 is to unstable :( to many Crashes using DP.

Can you try 32-bit version? If crash will appear send me bugreport, it will help much (but 32 bit reports are much more informative).

Also, if you can tell what are you was doing before crash, it could be very useful too.