3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member
Hi all,

I haven't been working with 3dcoat for a while and just got version 3.1.06. to do some voxel sculpting. I'm running DX64 CUDA version.

I've got to say the Carve brush seems broken to me: When carving over a non flat surface (say in a crevice) with depth of 50% or so it creates ugly holes all around.

Even on a flat surface, the border of the carve show some uglyness.

When working with a very small depth of 1-2% it creates a nasty patern of dots.

I used to use this tool a lot and it was working fine at that time. Now it's unusable to me.

Can someone with the same version running confirm this, thanks.

Franck.

Edit: I'm using the second pen pressure setting btw: Pressure only affects depth

Carve creates harsh unsmoothed edges by design. Not sure why people would want that - maybe its faster or something, but I never use it. I think extrude is the same as carve only with a softer edge - at least I recall reading that in the manual. Probably better to use that and change your alpha as needed.

I don't use cuda either... between using a mac at home and an average performance win 32 machine at work, I just find dx and gl more solid to work with.

• Advanced Member
Does disabling CUDA fix your issues? Sounds a bit like a CUDA error. I have gone to no cuda version since i dont trust it. It creates holes and other weirdnesses that dont happen with cuda disabled.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind when other problems arise.

Unfortunately for this particular tool, I've got the exact same behavior with or without cuda (disabling the cuda flag in the voxel menu, not running a non cuda version).

Basically the less depth (pressure) I use, the uglier it gets.

• Advanced Member
Carve creates harsh unsmoothed edges by design. Not sure why people would want that - maybe its faster or something, but I never use it. I think extrude is the same as carve only with a softer edge - at least I recall reading that in the manual. Probably better to use that and change your alpha as needed.

I don't use cuda either... between using a mac at home and an average performance win 32 machine at work, I just find dx and gl more solid to work with.

I like the fact that carve cuts out matter without smoothing. Basically carving the brush profile out of the bloc of matter. I use that to sculpt rocks and chamfer corners with a round brush and a large radius.

The problem is that ugly noise that comes from nowhere at low pressure settings. Maybe an accuracy issue?

Yes, carve works in slightly other way. So use extrude better.

old way: choose most deep point under brush and merge pen-like object from that depth. Problem is that it cause unpredictable and random results if there are some holes.

new way: it merges pen directly in pick point.

And carve with low depth will produce thin layer with all problems of thin layers.

@Andrew:

What about beta/release state - all builds are better then previous in terms of stability

Yeah people are hard to satisfy sometimes, sometimes they cant' enjoy that already great tool they'got :) !

oh man i"m so waiting for the next release, it gone be awesome realy wow, just wait and see ,.. awesome , i hope it comes before the weekend, just try it out and say wow , andrew is a mathematical genius and the next update will be more geniuses, ... just wanna break the negative

Updated to 3.1.07 (Win & OSX, Linux - slightly later)

Changes:

- ABF++ implemented [beta status]

- Unwrapping tool are very essentially improved

- fixed: after opening saved objects volumes in surface mode was unpickable.

- Freeze undo in DP problem fixed.

- Fixed several important bugs in baking and retopo.

I got an error. I made a voxel sphere, quadrangulated it, in Retopo Room hit Auto-Seams, then Unwrap, then Pack UV. Next I hit Apply UV and got this error window. The full text is attached.

2009-09-25_1311.png

When I go into the UV room there's nothing there, no model.

3dc_error.txt

I tried again. This time I manually created some retopo polys, manually marked some seams, hit Unwrap, then Apply UV-set. Same error.

Edit: it seems to do it any time you hit the Apply UV-set button, as long as there are polys and you have placed at least one seam.

• Contributor

Anyway, lol :D it seems to work perfect without Apply Uvs

...Andrew ,what is the official use of Apply UVs?

I mean I export the newly uved retopo mesh and import it back and the Uvs are like they are supposed to be.

No problems here. :) (just using To ABF and Unwrap)

Isnt Apply Uv a feature to change Uvs on an already loaded mesh in microvertex ?

sorry if question sounds dumb. :pardon:

Oh OK that works. BTW with Pack UVs the UVs touch the sides of the map. I'm no expert but it seems like it might be best to have a little gap in there. Also I've never used this feature I may be doing it wrong, but in the UV Room, Preview Window isn't there supposed to be a gizmo that appears when you click the clusters?

• Contributor

Also I've never used this feature I may be doing it wrong, but in the UV Room, Preview Window isn't there supposed to be a gizmo that appears when you click the clusters?

Yep,same thing here.

That should be about the only thing that is missing... :)

BTW :Its really cool how you can select islands and individually assign

either LSCM or ABF to them,its really clever work from Andrew :good:

• Contributor

isn't there supposed to be a gizmo that appears when you click the clusters?

Ok,Ok I found solution.

You need to have "manipulate" checker box active in the new uppertab options.

It seems Andrew cooked up a whole new UVtool for 3DC users. :D

• Contributor

I found out that it is enough to switch once to the Voxel room and back to Retopo after unrolling - then Apply UV works.

Fabulous additions again Andrew!

You dont need to use Apply Uvs in retopo room,it is a useless feature there.

It was originally made to apply newly loaded or edited uvs in UV ROOM.

Oh, undertood.I forgot to remove button "Apply UV" from retopo page. Don't use it,it shouldnot be there.

Just merge into scene or export as before.