3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Thoughts about the UV tools :

some Tools under the mode Tab (add cluster, mark seams, edge loops) and tools under Selected tab are redundant, and dosen't seems to work together :

If i mark (or remove) a seam using the mode - edge loop tool, the shell is not separated yet in the Uv window, i have to update island first, however, if i remove a seam in the Uv window, seams on the 3d model are removed.

Furthermode, tools under the Mode tab work only in the 3d view, and tools under the selected tab work only in the Uv view.

Is it possible to have only 1 set of tool , and to be able to select vertives, edges and faces in the 3d view ?

symetry :

the symetry seems bo be improved, however, i ran thought an issue : The werewolf model is not centered on the X world axis, and it's almost impossible to set the symetry plane on the center line, so the symetry don't work at allin this case : Mark seams and edge look dosen't work in zymetry.

In symetry mode, when the symetry is On, and when i select components, the manipulation gizmo is always centered around the selection (and on the symetry line) I'd like to have the giz centered only on the components i selected (and not between the selected and the mirror selection)

i'd like also to be able to move this gizmo : it will be more comfortable, whan i want to rotate faces.

The cherry on the cake (french expression) would be to use faloff distance when i manipulate components.

On the werewolf model, i recreated the seams in order to have 1 symetrical piece of geometry. I applied ABF unwrap, however, the unwrapped Uv were rotated in the Uv wiev. i tried to rotate the Uvs in order to have a uv shell symetrical without success. Then , i selected the center edge line, i put these edges along a vertical line, but i wasen't able to select a group of faces (and not the entire shell) and to unwrap these faces, in order to relax them. (and tou have relaexe faces arount the center line) is it posible to unwrap using ABF only selected vertices ?

bug ; when i'm in island mode, and when i switch to face smode, the selected menu is not updated.

I'd like to be able to drag a rectangle or use a lasso to select faces/edges/vertices

Finally , un Uv mode, i can't work with my stylus : the only way to change the radius of the brush is with the mousewheel. the ideal option would be to have a hotkey to change the brush radius. (you press the hotkey, change the radius, release the hotkey)

Edit : i did some comparisions with a head model between 3dc and Uvlayout.

I simply created a seam on the back of the head and unwrapped the model :

3dc unwrap is much better after this unwrap : the mouth socked is nice even stretched, the symetry is not perfect but much better, and the uvs on the eye sockets are not overlapping.

I think that i will have more control with Uv layout, but it's merely impressive.

• Advanced Member

Twitter comment: Great! Multiple UV-sets, yes yes yes!!! :yahoo:

Hello Taros, would you mind explaining to me why that is a good thing? Is it because it will allow you to do things such as bake light maps to different UVs than the diffuse texture?

Hey kay_Eva,

Try to imagine you have a full character with clothing, weapons, and so on... But you don't want to have a huge texture map with everything on UV map. Instead you need to have smaller texture maps, say, for a game engine that has limitations on the size of the images, or your rendering machines don't have a lot of RAM and hence, require smaller images so they don't run out of memory rendering, in this case, multiple UV maps is the way to go, so you can have more, smaller images.

Finally , un Uv mode, i can't work with my stylus : the only way to change the radius of the brush is with the mousewheel. the ideal option would be to have a hotkey to change the brush radius. (you press the hotkey, change the radius, release the hotkey)

Edit : i did some comparisions with a head model between 3dc and Uvlayout.

I simply created a seam on the back of the head and unwrapped the model :

3dc unwrap is much better after this unwrap : the mouth socked is nice even stretched, the symetry is not perfect but much better, and the uvs on the eye sockets are not overlapping.

I think that i will have more control with Uv layout, but it's merely impressive.

Ah yes, that would be why I couldn't change my brush size. I use a stylus and tablet exclusively with no mouse on my machine.

One thing that the new unwrapper does really well right now, is pelt unwrapping.

• Advanced Member

The new UV tools are fantastic! Some seriously amazing work there Andrew.

I did find a few bugs relating to them, and some other stuff.

-When in brush mode, inside the UV preview tab, you can no longer change the size of your brush because RMB now zooms.

-When using the stock mesh of the long nosed creature, using the fill tool in DP mode causes some really giant extruded looking polygons.

-When symmetry is on, and using the brush tool in the UV preview tab, the brushing/smoothing is not applied to the island symmetrically.

-The new Hide & Unhide functions do not seem to work. While Invert Hidden & Unhide all work.

-Would it be possible to rename the "Strict" tool to "Relax"?

Yeah I gave it all a quick swirl, I can reproduce them all... Requesting a fix pleeaaseeee :)

Seams nice and thick to me.

One thing I have noticed about this version is that when I open a voxel model, including one of the default spheres, it shows the model, but the Paint tab is active. I can't click the Voxels tab unless I click another tab first, then Voxels.

-When in brush mode, inside the UV preview tab, you can no longer change the size of your brush because RMB now zooms.

fixed

-When using the stock mesh of the long nosed creature, using the fill tool in DP mode causes some really giant extruded looking polygons.

Screenshot please

-When symmetry is on, and using the brush tool in the UV preview tab, the brushing/smoothing is not applied to the island symmetrically.

Will improve in future, but it is really difficult thing.

-The new Hide & Unhide functions do not seem to work. While Invert Hidden & Unhide all work.

Have you selected faces before? It works on my side excellent.

-Would it be possible to rename the "Strict" tool to "Relax"?

ok

• Advanced Member

Try 32-bit executables. Does they work? And please show screenshot with error.

Andrew,

The 32 bit version of 3Dcoat installs and works correctly.. I had to re-enter my serial number to get it working.. The 64 bit version still does not work. I have included a screen shot of the error.

Thanks,

IC

post-1321-12545851622821_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Where can the update to enable the new tools like toothpaste and muscles be downloaded? Can someone provide me with a link?

Thanks

• Advanced Member

Where can the update to enable the new tools like toothpaste and muscles be downloaded? Can someone provide me with a link?

Thanks

Look at the first post on the first page of this thread for updates as Andrew refreshes it when there is a new build. This is similar to how things work for beta releases as well. If you scroll down through the post you can see the different builds, what was changed/added/fixed, and the latest release for download.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3594&st=0

There SHOULD be a link to the thread via the main page IMHO or something linking to the file. Maybe a link to the most recent major/stable build and one to the latest build?

-g

• Advanced Member

fixed

Screenshot please

Will improve in future, but it is really difficult thing.

Have you selected faces before? It works on my side excellent.

ok

Andrew, it is rather inconsistent... When I go ahead and try to hide faces of a newly unwrapped UV island, it didn't.... And right after I hid the entire island, unhid it and tried again, it hid the faces. Rather odd, actually...

Hey kay_Eva,

Try to imagine you have a full character with clothing, weapons, and so on... But you don't want to have a huge texture map with everything on UV map. Instead you need to have smaller texture maps, say, for a game engine that has limitations on the size of the images, or your rendering machines don't have a lot of RAM and hence, require smaller images so they don't run out of memory rendering, in this case, multiple UV maps is the way to go, so you can have more, smaller images.

Exactly.

Or one more example: You have single maps for the clothes with higher detailed textures and one hudge map for the ambient occlusion of the whole model. :)

• Advanced Member

Look at the first post on the first page of this thread for updates as Andrew refreshes it when there is a new build. This is similar to how things work for beta releases as well. If you scroll down through the post you can see the different builds, what was changed/added/fixed, and the latest release for download.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3594&st=0

There SHOULD be a link to the thread via the main page IMHO or something linking to the file. Maybe a link to the most recent major/stable build and one to the latest build?

-g

Thanks...just downloaded it and installed after watching tonight's NHL hockey game.... Now I have the toothpaste & muscle...

Again thanks....

I having problems with 3DC-3.1-05-SIMP32 and up. I try to install any version above this and it will not install. Please see the attachments. If I abort obviously nothing. If I retry nothing. If I ignore it runs until the next popup. If I ignore that, then it rums to the next popup, then ignore. Then it finishes installing. Run it, then still at 3DC-3.1-05-SIMP32. I tried uninstall then reinstall. I installed dx9c, though I dont think it installed right, because it wants to browse where to put it. I'm not real sure to put it so it went in the programs files on C:/. I'm not a super techy guy. But I cant figure it out and its fustrating. Please help. On a good note I love this program.

post-1288-12549243673926_thumb.jpg

post-1288-12549243785839_thumb.jpg

post-1288-12549243855961_thumb.jpg

I having problems with 3DC-3.1-05-SIMP32 and up. I try to install any version above this and it will not install. Please see the attachments. If I abort obviously nothing. If I retry nothing. If I ignore it runs until the next popup. If I ignore that, then it rums to the next popup, then ignore. Then it finishes installing. Run it, then still at 3DC-3.1-05-SIMP32. I tried uninstall then reinstall. I installed dx9c, though I dont think it installed right, because it wants to browse where to put it. I'm not real sure to put it so it went in the programs files on C:/. I'm not a super techy guy. But I cant figure it out and its fustrating. Please help. On a good note I love this program.

The reason it that 3DC still resides in memory, so executable can't be overwritten.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL, go to precesses and delete 3D-Coat process.

Updated to 3.1.09 (Win & Mac, Linux - very soon)

Changes:

- Full support of symmetry in all UV operations - brush, tweak, manipulate selected done.

- Support of multiple UV - sets in UV tool

- Limited edge loop selection between two selected edges (in 3d-window for selecting seams).

- It is possible now to change pen radius or scale in UV window in dependence on where cursor is. This option has sense only in Brush mode.

- All rectangle selection modes will work in UV preview window

- Snapping problem in retopo tool solved ( it caused vertex shoot-out in some operations like split ring, relax, subdivide )

- Undo in Voxel primitive tools done

- Hide undo will work in UV tools

- fixed: non applied UV-s was not storing to 3B file, so unfinished work over UV-s could be lost.

- instability in UV tool fixed

OMG I had *just* downloaded the previous version.. this guy's a machine :o

Thankfully I hadn't installed yet ^_^

Hey Andrew, any idea of when will we get some quadrangulation improvements? We've discussed about it in the features request section and it's definitely the major point of concern in the whole voxels to polygon workflow, having to resort to retoppoing every time we make a revision in the voxel model (to get a game-engine compatible model) is very far from practical and one of the main reasons why I don't switch to voxel sculpting for practical applications other than stationary objects like props, where I won't need deformations and the associated controlled loops.

In time: Gratz for another quality release, 3DC's UV tools are now stellar :)

• Advanced Member

OMG I had *just* downloaded the previous version.. this guy's a machine :o

Thankfully I hadn't installed yet ^_^

Hey Andrew, any idea of when will we get some quadrangulation improvements? We've discussed about it in the features request section and it's definitely the major point of concern in the whole voxels to polygon workflow, having to resort to retoppoing every time we make a revision in the voxel model (to get a game-engine compatible model) is very far from practical and one of the main reasons why I don't switch to voxel sculpting for practical applications other than stationary objects like props, where I won't need deformations and the associated controlled loops.

In time: Gratz for another quality release, 3DC's UV tools are now stellar :)

Maybe I'm missing something, and don't get me wrong... I'm all for improving the quadrangulation :) but...

Couldn't you technically bring your current model into voxel sculpting, make your changes and then go back into retopo, "use low res mesh", and then snap-to the new voxel sculpt, or use the brush / move to adjust the points that aren't on the voxel surface. And... if you've made really significant changes... you can delete a few polys in the area you changed, and remake them.

the hugest benefit of that whole thing is that you don't have to re-uv everything.

but... maybe that is not your real issue and you just want better automation from voxel to polys, in which case... no argument from me... whatsoever! :) I'd love to see the ability to have the auto-quadrangulate be a part of the retopo tool, so you could just do portions automatically. (instead of the cap tool, you'd have auto-quadrangulate remaining open model...) you could start from a blank, and auto - or you could lay down a few key vertices, or... you coudl build a few , or a lot of, critical mesh areas, then blanket fill in the rest!!! that'd be awesome.

anyway.... I agree with what you said. But if you really just wanted to eliminate the need to retopo from scratch, maybe my suggestion helps? I dunno! - peace!

and heck yeah, Andrew is pretty darned amazing!