3DCoat Forums

I was messing with the rendering today and came across this bug. I wanted to convert my texture to the specular so I converted color to specular. Didn't see any difference. So then I tried to invert specular to see if the colors read opposite or something. It produced this. Inverting it again doesn't fix it. Have to reload the file.

post-893-1241547539_thumb.jpg

I think I have something similar. I was just sitting here looking at the model in the Render room, not touching the mouse even and the screen flashed to show this (left of image). Then I switched over to the paint room and it was covered it text. (right of image)

BTW I made a feature request that files with voxels automatically open in the voxel tab. It looks like that has been implemented which is great. The problem now is that my current file did have voxels in it, but I took them away after I started painting, so now it opens up to the voxels tab and it's blank so I have to switch over to painting myself.

Edit: I noticed a few more things about rendering. I'm doing a turn around animation. The frame number in the viewport is wrong, it always says 002/300 instead of the correct number (300 is the correct final frame for mine). The frame number in the title bar is correct. There may be a memory leak, it seems to be taking longer and longer with each frame and the time remaining has said between 56 and 58 minutes left for the past hour. It's also really slowing down the rest of the computer, as I type this I have to type a sentence and then wait a few seconds for the text to finish appearing.

Edit 2: I didn't quite see this until someone pointed it out but everything in the Render Room is squished horizontally, making characters look tall and skinny.

post-466-1241554349_thumb.jpg

Sorry if i missed something but where is the menu in retopo gone. I don't mean the one on the side but the one i got when hitting the Spacebar. That was the biggest time saver in retopo.

Bring it back please :)

P..:

• Advanced Member

A couple of UI Bugs in Alpha 81, great job though:

* If you dock the render parameters panel on the right, switch to another page an then switch back - the render panel is docked on the left.

* When you dock the settings to either side and choose render, the camera doesn't update to center in the new wider viewport. Leaving your object rendered to one side of the screen.

Edit, please also add an option to make the 'e' panel click-to-appear rather than it popping up when hovering. It's really offputting!

EDIT2: Thanks for fixing the brush over eraser on layer 0 issue! Though, could you explain why there is a 'layer 1' added when I import a model for painting? I'm confused as it sort of implies I can't paint on Layer 0 or there's stome restriction?. As far as I can see, there's no need to add new layers automatically and it should be up to the artist to decide when to add them... :unknw:

So far the only thing I've been playing with is the Render room. I've noticed a couple of things (this is all with a painted model). First you have to turn the light and ambient light intensities down to 0 or the lighting is way to intense on the model. Second the AO Percentage doesn't seem to do anything, it looks the same whether it's at 0 or 100. Fourth, at least with my model, the Light Scattering has to be at at least 0.13 or above or the lighting gets all blown out just like with point number one.

The render still feels muddy to me though, like it's desaturated or something. Maybe something to do with the AO or scattering

Quick test render attached.

Do you see realtime shadows in Render page?

Possibly there are problems with shadow...

A couple of UI Bugs in Alpha 81, great job though:

* If you dock the render parameters panel on the right, switch to another page an then switch back - the render panel is docked on the left.

* When you dock the settings to either side and choose render, the camera doesn't update to center in the new wider viewport. Leaving your object rendered to one side of the screen.

Edit, please also add an option to make the 'e' panel click-to-appear rather than it popping up when hovering. It's really offputting!

EDIT2: Thanks for fixing the brush over eraser on layer 0 issue! Though, could you explain why there is a 'layer 1' added when I import a model for painting? I'm confused as it sort of implies I can't paint on Layer 0 or there's stome restriction?. As far as I can see, there's no need to add new layers automatically and it should be up to the artist to decide when to add them... :unknw:

Actually there is no difference between layer 0 and other layers in DP. So I will do that all options and panels will be available for Layer 0 in next build.

Do you see realtime shadows in Render page?

Possibly there are problems with shadow...

Yes I do see the shadow.

BTW one more small thing, it looks like the yellow circle cursor is following the shape of the model in another room, which is larger. Probably makes no difference, just looks strange.

• Contributor
Found another bug.

Build 81, when using the voxel tools such as Cut&Clone, Split, any tool really that uses a marquee selection type, can't be used in the viewport normally unless you're drag selecting over a voxel sculpt. This is essentially the same problem that was already fixed with the UV tools in viewports.

For now I switch to custom nav. maya to accomplish this.

• Advanced Member
But anyway I will not be able to do it until release. As always, some features like CUDA on OSX will be included in one of free updates.

64 bit & OSX is more essential problem. Apple has given the WORST-est dev tools for 64 bit :( Why do you think there is no Photoshop 64 bit for OSX?

I really hope they will change the situation under pressure of programmers from all world...

Andrew, excellent job with the development of 3DCoat 3 beta.

I have one request, Please release the Mac and PC versions simultaneously! There are a "LOT" of us mac users out here and there's nothing more frustrating to us than having having software for our platform released "After" the PC version. I know this was the biggest reason I left ZBrush. Thanks! :)

• Advanced Member

Great update so far really enjoying the new interface

One problem im having at the moment is with the render room. Some models I have painted in previous versions seem to reorient themselves in to strange positions when entering the Render room. Once the models are in the render room it is impossible to rotate them correctly. It is almost like the model is not even there and rotation is only around the center of the world. This only seems to happen with some models. Is anyone else seeing this?

I have one request, Please release the Mac and PC versions simultaneously! There are a "LOT" of us mac users out here and there's nothing more frustrating to us than having having software for our platform released "After" the PC version. I know this was the biggest reason I left ZBrush. Thanks! :)

While I agree with the sentiment, Andrew is definitely not pixologic. He usually gets the mac release out a day or two later. So certainly think that is acceptable. :)

Bug, build 81.

When using a tool that has a handle gizmo, then switching to render and rendering, the handle gizmo shows up in the render.

• Advanced Member

A few days really isn't that long to wait. A year or more, yeah that is a long wait. Realistically one build is always going to be completed before the other is completed. It is in the best interest for all users that when a build is done it be released so it can be tested. Delaying the release so that users of another platform don't feel left out is a bit silly. It's two days. Delays are apart of the market place and I just accept them. If Andrew is going to release the latest build of 3dc in some other language other than English, that is something I will accept. Similarly to how some movies are released in the US market first and then received in other countries much later. When I was kid, I remember all of the latest nintendo games and systems hitting Japan months before they hit anywhere else. I know a lot of mac users would be very happy about getting the latest version of any software two days later. If you are going to stop using a wonderful application like 3dc because of a tiny wait then I am afraid no one can make you happy.

Please release the Mac and PC versions simultaneously! There are a "LOT" of us mac users out here and there's nothing more frustrating to us than having having software for our platform released "After" the PC version. I know this was the biggest reason I left ZBrush. Thanks! :)

Why should we have to suffer because you mad a bad computer choice? :p ;)

I am a mac user and I love my mac; unfortunately macusers are in the minority and thats life.

I am grateful to Andrew for pretty much keeping both platforms updated. All that to say, 3DC is altogether great (only God is awesome). I have been waiting for this type of application for a long time. And a great price too!

10.5.6, 2 x 3 GHz Quad-core and Probook

:clapping:

• Advanced Member

I empathize with the Mac Users. Sometimes a few days without an update or a particular bug fix can feel like an eternity. :cray:

Still, a delay of a day or two is waaaay better than the weeks or months of delay you guys get from other companies, right? Ultimately I suspect that Andrew may well release all final "commercial" versions of v3 on the same day... and two days later the v4 alpha would begin! :drinks:

On a completely different topic: Are there any Alpha users planning on heading to Siggraph this year?

• Reputable Contributor
I am a mac user and I love my mac; unfortunately macusers are in the minority and thats life.

I am grateful to Andrew for pretty much keeping both platforms updated. All that to say, 3DC is altogether great (only God is awesome). I have been waiting for this type of application for a long time. And a great price too!

10.5.6, 2 x 3 GHz Quad-core and Probook

:clapping:

But what about those cool, hip MAC commercials...didn't mention you'd be last to receive new software releases, did they? MAC users always try to use Bootcamp as their trump card, saying "See...we can run Windows too!"...Ok then, everytime there's a new software release, stop the fussing about being left out.

• Reputable Contributor
I empathize with the Mac Users. Sometimes a few days without an update or a particular bug fix can feel like an eternity. :cray:

Still, a delay of a day or two is waaaay better than the weeks or months of delay you guys get from other companies, right? Ultimately I suspect that Andrew may well release all final "commercial" versions of v3 on the same day... and two days later the v4 alpha would begin! :drinks:

On a completely different topic: Are there any Alpha users planning on heading to Siggraph this year?

I think SIGGRAPH is not going to be worth the trip this year. Not sure why they chose New Orleans, but it's far more advantageous for them to hold it in the Southern California area since it's within driving distance to the heart of the CG industry. The attendance numbers will be way down this year, I bet.

• Advanced Member
Page 200!Once I have think that if the page increase to 200,3dc v3.0 should release!

But now the forum become so hot,and there are so many task for Andrew to improve!

For me its the month of May that I'm thinking its a good month to release 3dc before zbrush, mudbox add more features. But so many bugs I think we wont get stable release this month. Its better to wait for stable release than people complaining about very buggy software. Speaking of features, is there anything similar to zbrush's projection master in other packages? That feature just makes hard surface modelling much easier.

But what about those cool, hip MAC commercials...didn't mention you'd be last to receive new software releases, did they? MAC users always try to use Bootcamp as their trump card, saying "See...we can run Windows too!"...Ok then, everytime there's a new software release, stop the fussing about being left out.

Well they've already paid twice as much for their computer, I'd think they wouldn't mind paying some more for the ability to use Windows programs with bootcamp. ;)

I think SIGGRAPH is not going to be worth the trip this year. Not sure why they chose New Orleans, but it's far more advantageous for them to hold it in the Southern California area since it's within driving distance to the heart of the CG industry. The attendance numbers will be way down this year, I bet.

Siggraph is in a non-LA location almost every other year. The first one I went to was in San Antonio in 2002, then in 2004 I was there in LA (I met Dick Van Dyke there, he's a LW user :) ). I really wanted to go to the Boston Siggraph in 2006 but couldn't afford it. My old friend lives there and I kept hinting about it, hoping he'd offer a couch to sleep on, but no such luck.

• Contributor
For me its the month of May that I'm thinking its a good month to release 3dc before zbrush, mudbox add more features. But so many bugs I think we wont get stable release this month. Its better to wait for stable release than people complaining about very buggy software. Speaking of features, is there anything similar to zbrush's projection master in other packages? That feature just makes hard surface modelling much easier.

Andrew,

Sorry, but every time I look at the forum it seems the basic, normal, Windows (32?) version is getting even more months away from having a stable user version.

Is too much effort being put into trying to get all the versions available, including Mac, that not enough time is spent getting the basic app right---first!?

I am just too old to even start using and learning about this buggy version setup yet--still.

Brian

• Advanced Member
Andrew,

Sorry, but every time I look at the forum it seems the basic, normal, Windows (32?) version is getting even more months away from having a stable user version.

Is too much effort being put into trying to get all the versions available, including Mac, that not enough time is spent getting the basic app right---first!?

I am just too old to even start using and learning about this buggy version setup yet--still.

Brian

This is funny Brian. I remember you from the Silo forums and the beta release threads. Don't worry about learning 3DCoat it's very easy to pick it up ; a work colleague installed the app in the morning and by the afternoon was flying through resurfacing a model.

The rate at which Andrew seems to squash bugs I'm sure this app will be ready in no time.

Obviously Andrew doesn't need defending but, this forum is one of the most optimistic and constructive I've kept an eye on, let's hope tit doesn't go down the dark route of pessimism or fanboy-ism like 'other' forums. :good:

• Advanced Member

Well, not even bugs, but also voxel tools actually are not ready for a professional release.

There is not a voxel flatten tool.

Clay tool is not good.

Rapid tool is amazing, but I hate using these surface tools which result is not the same as voxel tools. If Andrew could write the voxel version of this tool, this could be amazing !

Also fill tool is not bad, but a offset feature (like sphere tool) should be inserted, so probably it could act as a clay tool.

Generally speaking, all tools could have a offset feature, so this could be used as a modifier of the tool.

Anyway, really, Andrew you should adopt the suggestions 3Dioot and Rimasson gave you month ago.

Sorry to sound harsh, I am only trying to remind you to not lost the focus.

Oh, and of course you need some more options for the smooth tool !

• Advanced Member
Dark route of pessimism or fanboy-ism like 'other' forums. :good:

:D I wonder to which forum you refer, Though I shouldnt talk im one of the fanboys.

To get on topic I've been quietly testing the latest 3DC build and im pretty impressed by the potential. The new UI looks like it will be very usefull and the new DP is great. I would however like to ask if there are plans to increase the speed of the colour painting. I Hadn't realised this was an issue until i tried Mudbox with which I can brush with massive brushes with only minor lagging where in 3DC large brushes are a no no, I also notices major lag when approaching the edges of meshs.