3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I do all of my modeling within Cinema 4D so I myself don't see a real need for the sketch tool, but I can see where other people who don't model might find it helpful.

I just hope 3DCoat doesn't try to be all things to all people if you know what I mean. There are a gizzillion different cutesy ideas you could add to 3D Coat but I believe that Andrew will focus on improving the "Core" features like retopology, Painting UVing and Sculpting. :)

• Advanced Member
I do all of my modeling within Cinema 4D so I myself don't see a real need for the sketch tool, but I can see where other people who don't model might find it helpful.

I just hope 3DCoat doesn't try to be all things to all people if you know what I mean. There are a gizzillion different cutesy ideas you could add to 3D Coat but I believe that Andrew will focus on improving the "Core" features like retopology, Painting UVing and Sculpting. :)

+1

Very good point! I love this program absolutely, but sometimes things behave unpredictable and weird.

Better to have a program that excells in one or just a few options.

Regards, Robert

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if you guys are looking at the big picture. Andrew is putting together a package which can redefine the methods that people use for 3d art. I wouldn't call them cutesy because one day people are going to wonder how they ever got anything done without the sketch tool. Starting from a sphere...HA! We just wiggle our pens and have 50% of the basic modeling done.

Making sketch tool took only one day. It is really small time in comparison to possible usefulness of this true voxel tool.

Other time was spent on improving of the current toolset.

So, don't worry about that. Sometimes I am not able to resist to make something new especially if it will take one day.

• Reputable Contributor
Making sketch tool took only one day. It is really small time in comparison to possible usefulness of this true voxel tool.

Other time was spent on improving of the current toolset.

So, don't worry about that. Sometimes I am not able to resist to make something new especially if it will take one day.

I'm really glad you did....this can be such a big time saver, just fleshing out rough forms for all kinds of models. :yahoo: Now if we could just have simple icons to quickly select and transform objects like you have in every other 3D application, we'd be set (QWER shortcuts keys) for Select (Q), Move (W), Rotate (E), Scale ®

And how about this revolutionary concept...select an object and when you hit the delete button on your keyboard...it deletes it! No really guys...you can thank me later. I've on the phone with the patent office as we speak...

:p

• Contributor

I feel i must have my two pence here, The sketch tool is what it is, I dont see it as the Ground breaking thing you are all selling it as You could currently achive the exact same affect using both the Lasso with a negative stroke (CTRL) and orthographic views and for more precise effect you cna use that combination with the Masking. Doing it that way yield a more approachable Live solution with the advantage of placing strokes where you want them. Sorry but i dont see the advantage of having it as another seperate tool in the vox panel.

And here the Hide tool is only really applicable using the Lasso tool any kind of pen stroke other than that produces results that I cant really use. Works great using the lasso though and i was not able to reproduce the bug others have found. inverting and deleting hidden

thats using 64 with cuda

• Advanced Member

I agree with LJB,as it works now I think sketch isn't useful(IMHO a sketch tool must be able to do complex(topologically) shapes,not simmetrical stuff(Maybe using more projections)

I don't think kay_Eva you can say it does 50% of work,at lest if you model something more complex than basic simmetrical shapes.

I'll continue to start from a sphere....

• Advanced Member
what can sketch tool do (last one is alien artefact) :)

post-1407-1248581848_thumb.jpg

Tinker, can you show us how you did those? I'm just not getting the grasp of this sketch tool. It's really not like sketching but more like inflating. But I'm not gettin' it.....

M

• Applink Developer

Sketch tool is nice plus into sculpting tool but it is a little bit slow to process. First you have to make Pictures and then merge them into 3d-coat.

I would like to see new Nurbs curves with this tool in the future.

• Contributor

You souldn't be such sceptic. Its good for fast randomized greebles (some engine parts "inside" sci-fi models)

1. Do as much different projections as you can. I used C4D, moving some black and white primitives on black background and camera from top.

2. Load some images into sketch tool, repeat undo/reload until have interesting shape (it would be good to have "rebuild from random images from folder" button).

3. Use transform elements on the image planes and continue to repeat sketching. Trick is to change two projections or its size, while 3rd remain untouched.

• Advanced Member

Although I agree with some comments regarding the sketch tool I would hate to see experimentation stop as that's what appeals to me about 3d Coat. It gives us the tools that others don't.

How about a sketch tool like this.

If I still had my pc I would still be using the above for my basic shapes.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

Please add the Autoretopology tool to the toolbarlist under the retopology tab. It's a bitch to use now when we have to navigate through menues, windows, click buttons here and there to use it on imported meshes. It should be in the retopology tab where the rest of the retopo stuff are.

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

But I'm still not figuring out how it's supposed be working.

Tinker, perhaps a sample of the images you are using for those tech objects.

The images I'm using don't seem to do anything.

Does the y axis one have to be a square like in the Jing video above?

Just solid black and white?

M

• Advanced Member
Although I agree with some comments regarding the sketch tool I would hate to see experimentation stop as that's what appeals to me about 3d Coat. It gives us the tools that others don't.

How about a sketch tool like this.

If I still had my pc I would still be using the above for my basic shapes.

Cheers

Mike R

that's way cooler than the archipelis sketch.

• Contributor
I'm still not sure I understand. I see at least 4 images there.

He used the first 3 pics to make the object.

Then he used the fourth one to add another object (using only one axis).

I think :pardon: Not sure.

It is cool because we can replace the grayscale images and merge objects while adding new voxel layers with just pressing enter , so we dont need to restart the tool to nest more objects.

It is easy to replace pics but does anyone can tell me how to CLEAR THEM?

• Contributor

Yes idea is applay, than to change size, apply, change some images, apply etc.

Use "hide all" for hiding and "hide/unhide" to hide/unhide images facing you. So what image to hide or unhide depends on view rotation.

That inteface idea "view direction sensetive" (when one button acts different depend on viewport angle) is great feature by the way, it was used in modeler "Hexagon" for many tools.

• Advanced Member
Using sketch tool crashes on mac while trying to create the voxel object. I tried using 256x256 images to start with on my imac to keep it simple but had no luck getting it to make anything.

I too can confirm, does not work on Mac.

• Contributor
Yes idea is applay, than to change size, apply, change some images, apply etc.

Use "hide all" for hiding and "hide/unhide" to hide/unhide images facing you. So what image to hide or unhide depends on view rotation.

True That does indeed speed up the process which i like! But I still re-iterate the same style of workflow was already available with the current tools in orthographic views Using an existing volume and Either lasso, or pen stroke, with a negative (Crtl) Value and combining masks for a higher level of precision. the only difference is that instaed of using the maks to subtract from an existing volume you use the Sketch tools to build the ares that intersect solid values of your "Sketches". The end result is the same. I guess its how you look at the current tools, and work with what is there.

I my opinion the way you use the tool Tinker does show worth to it actually existing, as your Resize and add subtract different parts by swapping and scaling images is smart. Using the above method would involve working on seperate Volumes and merging to acheive the same effect whiuch would indeed take a little longer, so I salute you for making my see this. Optimal Workflow.

I've been using the new sketch tool, and I find that the resulting objects have a sort of "grain", meaning that some tools (including extrude) behave abnormally (pressure exerted on the top of a volume results in material being added to the side of the volume. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this expected behavior?

I find that if I export the volume to an obj file, and then re-import it, this abnormal behavior disappears.

Thanks!