3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Updated to 08L

Changes:

- I made possibility to bake occlusion while baking normalmap from voxels to DP. So after baking VS->DP you will get normalmap+occlusion.

- Normalmap baking quality essentially improved - no details will be lost when baking voxels->DP

- I have add button "Apply" everywhere in voxel tool when you need to press enter. Not everyone knows that ENTER should be pressed.

- fixed space navigator pivot point issue

Thanks for the space nav fix! That pushed me over the edge and I bought one. :good:

The occlusion baking is really nice too!

Relax is already there - Brush mode in retopo tool - draw with SHIFT

Thank You. 3D-Coat is a sure buy for me just for its complete retopo tools. And there are excellent paint functions + merge parts into one voxel sculpture + Mudbox-like 3D navigation roll/zoom is a dream come true! :clapping:

• Reputable Contributor
Thanks for the space nav fix! That pushed me over the edge and I bought one. :good:

The occlusion baking is really nice too!

Which model? I highly recommend the SpacePilot...got a used one in like new condition on Ebay for 1/4th the retail cost ($124 compared to $400)

I've got to figure out how to program all of the command keys on it and to setup the view buttons (they work straight away in 3ds Max)

http://www.flixfacts.co.uk/view/video-fl.p...5&t=fl&

http://www.3dconnexion.com/video/video.php...max〈=en

Hey Phil,

Try don't use the pen settings for the curves tool. It has it's own set of parameters in the Param tab, if you scroll down just a bit after ticking this new option, you'll see more options there, in the param tab.

Oh. Duh... I'll just don the look that cats have after they do something stupid. :unsure:

• Contributor
Sorry, but the 3DConnexion (SpacePilot/Navigator/Explorer) issue hasn't been fully resolved.

With the Y axis constraint checked, the ROLL (Left to Right) feature of the 3DConnexion device is still totally busted/disabled/non-functioning.

It is only disabled when the new Y axis constraint is checked.

By the way, the Y axis constraint should be default method as that is how it works in other 3D applications). Thanks Andrew.

Ah you are correct Locking the Y axis still removes the abillity to roll. I had it switched off in the 3dconnexion control panel. Still c loser than ever b4 I think you will agree Just the roll to go.

I beleive it should default that way too.

- leigh

• Advanced Member
Which model? I highly recommend the SpacePilot...got a used one in like new condition on Ebay for 1/4th the retail cost ($124 compared to $400)

I've got to figure out how to program all of the command keys on it and to setup the view buttons (they're work straight away in 3ds Max)

http://www.flixfacts.co.uk/view/video-fl.p...5&t=fl&

http://www.3dconnexion.com/video/video.php...max〈=en

I just got the SpaceNavigator PE. I pretty much got it just for 3DC because unfortunately neither Silo or Lightwave (at least without buying a plugin) support it.

Blender is supposed to support it i think but I only use it occasionally. Maybe I'll use blender more if it does support the SpaceNav.

Yes the SpacePilot does look really awesome (and expensive) but like I said I only have 1.5 programs to use it with.

I like the macro stuff on the SpacePilot though. I saw on another thread a link to a program called gMote to link mouse gestures to keystrokes, etc. But it doesnt seem to work that well in 3DC (something about the way 3DC captures keystrokes maybe?).

• Advanced Member

Using 3DCoat 3.00.08L Mac

Mac OS 10.5.4

12 GB Ram

GEForce 8800 GT Card

Bug?

I was working in Microvertex on a Archway and saved as a .3B file. Now I can't open the file as 3DC gives me an OOM prompt!

Congratulations! :yahoo:

1. I don't know if you did any improving to the retop tools but the "Add/Split" tool seems to work much better for me now. Thanks!

2. Also the ability to scale, move and rotate the UV maps now is FANTASTIC!. Is there a way to select all of the UV map pieces at once? I tried Command + A which is Select All on mac but it didn't select everything. Can you add this option?

Andrew will we be seeing any work on any of the following in the coming days/weeks?

Ability to go up/down in poly count in Per Pixel and especially Microvertex. If we could press 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, etc. like ZBrush it would be great IMO.

More improvement to brushes (It would be nice to have more brush types like "Rake" and others) Also I'm finding the brushes are not feeling as detailed as in ZBrush. I can't put my finger on it but they don't seem to apply texture as detailed. I find it really difficult to get the detail and results I want in 3DCoat but in ZBrush it just works right out of the box. Maybe the default brush settings could be set to give more detail or something. http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2647

It would be nice to be able to increase/decrease poly count in microvertex like ZBrush. If I import a sculpt into ZBrush I can import it at a low poly count and then sculpt, slowly adding more detail and upping the meshcount as I go. I can also go back in mesh count to make large changes if I need to, then go up again where I left off. I also like the ability to be able to se the sculpt increase in resolution when I press 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, in ZBrush. I prefer this over 3DCoats method of allowing you to choose an initial poly count and then you are stuck with it. Also if you could change the poly count numbers from 240, 960, 3840,15360, 61440 etc. to 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x,6x. I realize the steps go up in increments of 4 but I don't think it is necessary. http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2871

Wrap Mode - Ability to tile a mask across a surface so you could create a wall of bricks for example. Also Please Add Numerical Indicators for Mask and Texture Scale, Rotation and Position!

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Wrap_Mode_Tutorial

Please Add Numerical Indicators for Mask and Texture Scale, Rotation and Position

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3040

In retopology, can we have ability to draw lines which will control seam and poly flow, so when Quadrangulate is applied the polys would follow some structure. Currently polys get twisted in arms legs etc, when using Quadrangulate. More details in Feature Requests. http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3027

Please allow users to choose a render size in pixels. For example 1024 x 768 (16:9 aspect ratio) This is important as sometimes you need a specific size. And Please ability to save as .tiff too! A Render "OPTIONS" panel with ability to chhose size of render, type of file etc. Please make the render area not include the Render Panel or the top Menu.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2767

Also I think ZBrush "Mesh Extraction" is better than the current method of using "Extract Skin". Mesh Extraction is very fast and efficient for creating clothes, helmets, gloves and many other objects from any piece of geometry and edges remain crisp or squared off like real clothing would be and the back or inside of the extracted mesh is smooth not jagged like in 3DCoat. http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Mesh_Extraction

You are doing a Good Job Andrew. :good:

• Reputable Contributor
Using 3DCoat 3.00.08L Mac

Mac OS 10.5.4

12 GB Ram

GEForce 8800 GT Card

Bug?

I was working in Microvertex on a Archway and saved as a .3B file. Now I can't open the file as 3DC gives me an OOM prompt!

1. I don't know if you did any improving to the retop tools but the "Add/Split" tool seems to work much better for me now. Thanks!

2. Also the ability to scale, move and rotate the UV maps now is FANTASTIC!. Is there a way to select all of the UV map pieces at once? I tried Command + A which is Select All on mac but it didn't select everything. Can you add this option?....

Could you please put the feature requests in the Forum labeled "Feature Requests?" It's hard for Andrew to focus on bugfixes if we're mixing in feature requests. I would also like to maybe see if Andrew can suspend taking feature requests for a month or so, in order to focus STRICTLY on bugfixes and perhaps ironing out the wrinkles/improving the current tools. I realize how much this community has helped Andrew shape 3DC into what it is, but at the same time, I wonder if we aren't overwhelming him with an abundance of requests

If possible and file is not toob big please send it to me to support.

2. Also the ability to scale, move and rotate the UV maps now is FANTASTIC!. Is there a way to select all of the UV map pieces at once? I tried Command + A which is Select All on mac but it didn't select everything. Can you add this option?

Select several clusters with SHIFT

What about other requests, please post it to Feature requests because I can loose that request (too many pages there in this thread)

• Advanced Member

It's strictly a navigation device, although the integration in some applications can offer you the ability to generate keyframes for such things as cameras using a device like this. 3dsmax is one of the applications that supports keyframing based upon the device movements.

/ Magnus

Andrew will we be seeing any work on any of the following in the coming days/weeks?

• Ability to go up/down in poly count in Per Pixel and especially Microvertex. If we could press 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, etc. like ZBrush it would be great IMO.

Like AbnRanger said, Please put feature requests in their correct place. That said, personally I don't see any way the painting modes are going to get resolution changing like that. It goes against the whole point of painting mode and 3D Brush before that. Of course I can't speak for Andrew, I just don't see it happening.

• Advanced Member
If possible and file is not too big please send it to me to support.

I don't think I will be able send it as I just checked the size and it's way to big. 370 mb. No wonder it wouldn't open. :) I will recreate the arch at a lower subdivision and then see if it happens again. Thanks.

Select several clusters with SHIFT

Yes, I figured out that I could use "Shift" to select multiple items. Very Nice Option BTW!, but my UV map had approx. 52 separate UV's. Selecting them individually is very time consuming! Please Allow to "Command + A" (Select All) Mac. Not sure what the equivalent key on PC would be. But Please add this as it is a very common command in most software apps.

What about other requests, please post it to Feature requests because I can loose that request (too many pages there in this thread)

No problem Andrew, I will post in Feature Requests. In Feature Requests could you possibly give some idea of the next item or two you will be looking to improve? Thanks.

There is change resolution in Edit->Mesh and texture resolution. But agree, you can't change resolution of cage mesh.

Thanks. This has been requested so many times and nothing yet. Can you please tell me if this is going to happen soon? I would really like to see this in Microvertex at the least. :)

Hey all, Before posting, please do consider this thread: http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3132I thank all who are paying attention to detail. Hooah? Hooah! ;)

My apologies Gavin. I will post to feature requests from now on. :)

I don't think I will be able send it as I just checked the size and it's way to big. 370 mb. No wonder it wouldn't open. :) I will recreate the arch at a lower subdivision and then see if it happens again. Thanks.

I searched/found a couple free file sharing websites that allow you to share files up to 1Gb & 2Gb:

http://transferbigfiles.com/

http://www.adrive.com/

I haven't used them myself yet...MG

My apologies Gavin. I will post to feature requests from now on.

Thank you sir!! Much obliged. ;)

PS- I don't take it personally or anything, but... My name is actually Javis. Pronounced like Jay-Vis. :hi:

• Advanced Member
Thank you sir!! Much obliged. ;)

PS- I don't take it personally or anything, but... My name is actually Javis. Pronounced like Jay-Vis. :hi:

Oops I don't know where I got Gavin from, Sorry about that Javis. :)

Goodrichm, Phil, and Costanel, thanks for those links I will check them out! :)

LOL Phil! When I was young I wished for any name other then my own, but once I hit 15 or so I started to realize it was good to have a unique name. :)

Paint Guy, No worries man! I am used to it. No apology necessary, thank you though. :)

Andrew mentioned on his Tweeter he is working on baking averaged shader color to DP mesh & texture.

Wow!!! :yahoo::clapping::good:

Fast and easy texture masks making from voxel layers coming true!

Even bigger. It will bake even normalmaps, textures and cavity mapping from shaders. Of course not always 1:1 correspondence is possible because shaders are view direction dependent.

• Contributor
Even bigger. It will bake even normalmaps, textures and cavity mapping from shaders. Of course not always 1:1 correspondence is possible because shaders are view direction dependent.

:o My jaw is on the ground...I need to go pick it up. :)

Incredibly strong selling point,especially when 3DCoat textured shaders are so easy to do.

This is becoming more and more awesome every day! :)

How about strengthening the procedural textures (like e.g. fill mode) even more? This is one of my favourite functions in texturing so far. Combining different fractals or building some sort of shader trees like in Darktree would be great and greatly reduce the need for photographic textures.

Great stuff!

• Advanced Member

debris,

I agree, and Andrew has mentioned long ago that he was interested in enhancing the

fill tool's library such that editing procedurals would be a component of it...lots of other

features have happened since then, tho. ;) (not complaining in any way, fyi)

You can kinda work around this absence currently by setting up a repeating UV torus for DarkTree

to bake out your procedural creations (I do this with XSI:Enhance), and then select those textures

for either cubic fill or uv-mapped fill (depending on your object, of course).

Anyhow, prolly pretty off-topic for this thread. :D