3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

How do you close an issue in Mantis? I want to close some issues which have been fixed but I cannot figure out how.

T.

All reporters should be able to set issue states. I've checked it today. It should work. Maybe you didn't found the related button.

Here you can see a short manual I prepared for setting an issue status: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10198&view=findpost&p=89567

Best wishes

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Anybody else get this annoying highlighted polygon when using the BRUSH tool in the Retopo Room? This has been happening for several builds now, and I've mentioned it to Andrew already. It and and the persistent lag issues are driving me nuts.

http://www.screencas...m/t/AZiJue27nx5

Hello,

I've been excited for this app to get scripting abilities and have been playing with the latest 4 beta hoping to get some automation working. I seem to be having trouble with the file dialogs not being able to pass a path.

Here are some things i've tried but all seem to hang on the file - open dialog waiting for user input. Am I going about this incorrectly or is this something that is still being implemented and just not finished yet?

void main()

{

string filename = "C:\\sphere_vox.stl";

SetFileForFileDialogs(filename);

refmesh(filename);

}

• Advanced Member

All reporters should be able to set issue states. I've checked it today. It should work. Maybe you didn't found the related button.

Here you can see a short manual I prepared for setting an issue status: http://3d-coat.com/f...indpost&p=89567

Best wishes

Chris

Thanks Chris, The buttons are there now, they weren't before.

T.

• Advanced Member

void main()

{

refmesh(filename);

}

...not sure why the file path would have two slashes. I don't have this problem at all. Are you using a Windows, Linux or Mac version?

• Advanced Member

Andrew, there is a big problem in the retopo room with editing the UV's with the Brush, The Brush cursor has an alpha on it and it seems to be set at some incredibly high value and there is no way to reduce the intensity of the alpha, you can change the alpha in the Voxels room, but this has no effect on its intensity.

Also, there are two Radius parameters on the tool bar, one next to the Smoothing and the other next to the Simple checker drop-down.

I will add it to Mantis.

T.

geothefaust, has the bug (Mantis 0000739) been fixed?

Your Mantis note says "Updated status to "resolved" as per Tser, the reporter. Thanks."

I didn't say it was fixed.

T.

My mistake. I'm sure you'll update it yourself, now that you can.

• Contributor

Andrew,I have a question for you:

How hard would it be to improve baking so that when baking an object that has been splitted seamlessly using sf mode spliting ,

baking would be also seamless ??(normal map and shader color and occlusion).Right now there is always a seam when baking over multiple objects even if there is no visible seam in voxel room viewport.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I must say that I don't like the spheres of influence that you can add to fine tune the merging (baking) to scene.

Is there any way you could add the ability to just paint on the surface of the mesh, the areas where you would like to increase the scan depth or height, by using this technique, you could create a grey scale map, med grey being the colour of the start setting which you set manually and if you need more depth in an area of your mesh then paint it darker grey, if you need more height in an area the paint lighter grey, white being the max height and black being the max depth.

T.

• Contributor

Andrew, I must say that I don't like the spheres of influence that you can add to fine tune the merging (baking) to scene.

Is there any way you could add the ability to just paint on the surface of the mesh, the areas where you would like to increase the scan depth or height, by using this technique, you could create a grey scale map, med grey being the colour of the start setting which you set manually and if you need more depth in an area of your mesh then paint it darker grey, if you need more height in an area the paint lighter grey, white being the max height and black being the max depth.

T.

without the spheres it is impossible to have a real sense of distance between vertices....greyscale paint is 2d.

Updated to BETA14

- Main problems of ppp are solved. Now possible to paint even deep displacement without artifacts. Before you were able to paint only small bump-like displacement, now the normal map is calculated correctly for deep displacement, too. Painting quality comparison - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/ppp_comparison.png

- Seamless painting in ppp mode improved a lot. Compare seams quality - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/SeamsV3V4.png . Baking voxels -> ppp displacement is not tuned well, but will be improved in next build.

- LC reduce reduces more powerfully, cap turned off, LC tools are working much better on mixed big/small triangles scene.

- Primitives gizmos polished a to act more convenient and look better.

- Clone, Cut&Clone extended to surface mode too.

- Auto pick option in most tools will allow to switch to other volumes automatically while drawing without need to switch there manually.

- Split tool extended to surface mode too. It allows to split through all scene, split instances. <-- good for making broken objects.

- Rendering semi-transparent objects improved, now will be rendered correctly (sorted from back to front) almost always.

- Painting conditions preview will work correctly for all conditions and all paint modes (ppp/mv/ptex/voxels)

- A lot of mantis reported problems fixed

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

T.

I like the fact that we can define areas of influence but would like to rather have a paint option instead of a sphere. The reason is that a sphere sometimes interpenetrates unwanted areas. Right now I have a character in a jump suit with a rather large chin. When I add a sphere of influence to the zipper on the chest I also affect the chin with it. An option to paint these areas would not have this problem.

• Like 1

• Contributor

...not sure why the file path would have two slashes. I don't have this problem at all. Are you using a Windows, Linux or Mac version?

I'm not sure how angelscript is implemented but trailing backslashes may be needed to avoid confusing the interpreter...

Hello,

I've been excited for this app to get scripting abilities and have been playing with the latest 4 beta hoping to get some automation working. I seem to be having trouble with the file dialogs not being able to pass a path.

Here are some things i've tried but all seem to hang on the file - open dialog waiting for user input. Am I going about this incorrectly or is this something that is still being implemented and just not finished yet?

void main()

{

refmesh(filename);

}

Better use / for paths. like "C:/sphere_vox.stl"

• Advanced Member

Things in 3DCoat have certainly changed a lot, I have just discovered that its better to do all my painting before I retopo, UV and merge (bake) to scene, because if I want to use a 4K map I cannot work with it after baking because the lag is very bad and trying to paint in cavities, forget about it.

What impresses me about version 13A (Linux), is how stable it is now, I have been working for days on the same scene and it hasn't crashed on me once, good work Andrew, stability is extremely important.

T.

• Advanced Member

I have to agree on the painting of influence, rather than a sphere, but I'm not griping. I like the option nonetheless. It's a smart feature to add, and I'm thankful. I just prefer painting it, or the option to do either.

So to clarify, are we supposed to be able to paint "deep displacement" in PPP mode now? I tried it and it just looked the same as before, like a normal map.

Hi Phil.

You still paint in the normalmap layer. But this improvement is just great if you are working without sculpted templates to bake from. Especially when getting low poly models for games. I have waited for this improvements since the release of 3D Coat. Can`t say how fantastic this news are for me! Finally normal map painting without artefacts!!! (Except some tiny seam problems...)

We need this nearly everyday. We have a lot models that are not based on sculpted material so we paint the normalmap information by hand as possible. This works great.

Hi Phil.

You still paint in the normalmap layer. But this improvement is just great if you are working without sculpted templates to bake from. Especially when getting low poly models for games. I have waited for this improvements since the release of 3D Coat. Can`t say how fantastic this news are for me! Finally normal map painting without artefacts!!! (Except some tiny seam problems...)

We need this nearly everyday. We have a lot models that are not based on sculpted material so we paint the normalmap information by hand as possible. This works great.

This is a very welcome change. I've been dealing with these artifacts for a long time without realizing the cause, always assumed it was my fault somehow. I also use 3DC primarily for painting low res game models made with another tool (Softimage) and I'm glad to see this fix show up.

It is definitely good to have the seam problems fixed. When I read Andrew's original tweet about displacement I got the impression that there would no longer be a need for microvertex, which I really love but Per-pixel does have higher quality.

• Advanced Member

Updated to BETA14

- Main problems of ppp are solved. Now possible to paint even deep displacement without artifacts. Before you were able to paint only small bump-like displacement, now the normal map is calculated correctly for deep displacement, too. Painting quality comparison - http://www.3d-coat.c..._comparison.png

- Seamless painting in ppp mode improved a lot. Compare seams quality - http://www.3d-coat.c...s/SeamsV3V4.png . Baking voxels -> ppp displacement is not tuned well, but will be improved in next build.

- LC reduce reduces more powerfully, cap turned off, LC tools are working much better on mixed big/small triangles scene.

- Primitives gizmos polished a to act more convenient and look better.

- Clone, Cut&Clone extended to surface mode too.

- Auto pick option in most tools will allow to switch to other volumes automatically while drawing without need to switch there manually.

- Split tool extended to surface mode too. It allows to split through all scene, split instances. <-- good for making broken objects.

- Rendering semi-transparent objects improved, now will be rendered correctly (sorted from back to front) almost always.

- Painting conditions preview will work correctly for all conditions and all paint modes (ppp/mv/ptex/voxels)

- A lot of mantis reported problems fixed

Incredible Andrew! thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

You can paint depth, which means you should be able to paint influence of volume the same way.

Were not talking about sculpting an area of influence, nor a normal map just to drive an area of influence. Perhaps a FFD primitive (sphere, blob, capsule or cube), borrowed from the Voxel Room, could provide a good compromise for more customization. Or enable an FFD cage for the projection mesh, similar to the way any model in the Model's pallet can have an FFD cage applied either in the Pose Tool or with the Primitives tool selected.