3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Hey man!

I'm not sure when it will happen exactly. Based on what Andrew is working on right now (which will take approx. 2-3 months), I'm estimating it'll happen after that. But you know Andrew, it could happen before that. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, any vague ETA (even in months) when the SSS will be supported in 3dcoat ?

I'm currently waiting for that to resume work on the software, so far I'm forced to use a competitor product and I miss the flexibility of freeform sculpting...

I've been wondering about that, too. In fact, I've been waiting to do any PBR videos until this is added, because the feature set isn't really complete without SSS. Glass/translucent material or viewport shader (like in the Sculpt Room) would be helpful, as well, so it's easier to visualize the model in the viewport, and then paint scraches, grunge or Opacity maps (tons of broken shattered glass brushes or stencils out there).

• Contributor

I've been wondering about that, too. In fact, I've been waiting to do any PBR videos until this is added, because the feature set isn't really complete without SSS. 

There is no SSS shader in Substance Painter and its still leading the pbr painting market at this moment....

• Contributor

There is no SSS shader in Substance Painter and its still leading the pbr painting market at this moment....

And that's why I hate Allegorithmic, even if I have friends working there: all their tools are geared toward human made materials. And it sucks.

All they have to show is hard surface textures and procedural concrete-like texture :/

Sure they do it well, but it seems this generation of games is all about super shiny chromy metals...

Reminds me of the overdone specular days back when normal mapping was being adopted by the industry...

• Like 1

• Contributor

And that's why I hate Allegorithmic, even if I have friends working there: all their tools are geared toward human made materials. And it sucks.

All they have to show is hard surface textures and procedural concrete-like texture :/

Sure they do it well, but it seems this generation of games is all about super shiny chromy metals...

Reminds me of the overdone specular days back when normal mapping was being adopted by the industry...

I dont understand ; if you want non-human made materials just make some....the app whether its coat or SP just allow you to paint realtime on a physically based shader.....you can make candy,leather,plastics ...nobody is forcing you to make chromy metals or concrete like materials.

What Im trying to say is that its ultimately you the painter/artist who is feeding your channels with values/samples and define materials...

(unless you rely on the software libraries)

Im looking foward to SSS too, but Im not "waiting" for it...maybe its because I really just use it for skin and haven't got any need for wax-like materials yet...

• Contributor

I dont understand ; if you want non-human made materials just make some....the app whether its coat or SP just allow you to paint realtime on a physically based shader.....you can make candy,leather,plastics ...nobody is forcing you to make chromy metals or concrete like materials.

What Im trying to say is that its ultimately you the painter/artist who is feeding your channels with values/samples and define materials...

(unless you rely on the software libraries)

Im looking foward to SSS too, but Im not "waiting" for it...maybe its because I really just use it for skin and haven't got any need for wax-like materials yet...

I think your summarized the issue in your last line.

You need sss everywhere that isn't full solid with large thickness.

Think clothes, skin. If you do character, pbr only is usefull for accessories.  :/

OFC, I can sculpt without it. Not a problem, but if I want to do an accurate portrait, SSS helps a long way... I can approximate depth much easier for instance.

• Contributor

You need sss everywhere that isn't full solid with large thickness.

Think clothes, skin. If you do character, pbr only is usefull for accessories.  :/

I use mainly PBR for clothes(most fabrics ,leathers ect.. ) ...very rarely have I seen people using SSS for clothings.

Maybe its because I use mostly Unreal4 and you use different engine...

Anyway,an ETA on it would still be cool...maybe its something more planned for V5....

• Reputable Contributor

Neither ZBrush nor Mudbox have any PBR tech, but that didn't stop Andrew from implementing it in 3D Coat. Plus, dDo does have SSS and it is a competitor in the PBR texture painting market. What's more is, 3D Coat usually is out front with new tech...like Voxels, Ptex, Auto-Retopo, Dynamic Subdivision (LiveClay), etc....rather than waiting until everyone else has the new shiny toy.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure SSS will be a couple of more months before Andrew works on it. He's working on something else pretty big at the moment.

EDIT: Of course, Andrew could always surprise us with it. :)

• Contributor

Plus, dDo does have SSS and it is a competitor in the PBR texture painting market. 

No, it does not have an SSS shader built in ....all DDO texturing work showcasing SSS are actually from inside Marmoset TB2.

I too am very eager to paint  translucency and subdermal maps on a realtime shader...but I fail to see how a missing shader makes 3DCoat PBR toolset "incomplete" as none of the serious competitors in PBR painting have it already anyway....

• Like 1

- AO OpenCL baking routine problems fixed.

- Cube with fillet primitive

- Sphere primitiv density fixed

This is first build compiled with VS 2013, it should be stable enough and may even be faster, but need to be checked carefully.

In compaison to 4.5.03 it contains many important fixes, so if all is OK this build has chance to be next stable point, so need your testing.

Also, I started code refactoring to make code beter organised, documented and more readable. Possibly 3D-Coat will become half-opensource (but I may not guarantee).

In next month no new features will be introduced and no important fixes expected if this buld will becme stable because I need to perform refactoring. Othervice we will not be able to deevlop in 3-4 years because of code complexity and disorganisation. So this stage is very important for future. Refactoring will not bring something new to users but will allow fo fix problem easier and deveop faster, extend programmers team.

• Like 7

• Contributor

Here it works fine , allthough i noticed no speed improvment in general so far.

Correcting my previous opinion , in S it does performs faster.

Much appreciated Andrew.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

on my side in 4.5.08 I cannot select OpenCl AO calculation only CPU method is selectable.

In both DX and GL.

The same here. Opencl Option disappeared. In 4.5.0.7 I was able to calculate.

artman I tried now a second time with a simple sphere where I sculpt a little and autopo, then the option came back and now Ambient occlusion opencl works again. 

Edited by Dirceu Franco

How does the primitive selection for chamfered or filetted cube work? I've .8 installed now and can't find it.

To me in the primitives tool option have unmarked option "use fillet". Mark this option and the box will be chamfered.

Edit: Import tool also has this option, but activates it has no effect.

Edited by Dirceu Franco
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Having trouble loading a jing .SWF (You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file). But I've reached a point on my model where 3DC refuses to go.post-1430-0-22588800-1438123149_thumb.pn

The blue poly was all I could get (Points/faces or Quads would leave nothing behind). The blue poly is welded to the green one but refuses to change color. It originated when I went with a preview from the P/F tool. There must have been a rogue point up higher on the model. At first, the poly stopped short of the green (Maybe there's a dead zone just above. So I dragged the two points down and snapped them to the green but no color change.

Additional fooling around (Quad tool) resulted in the blue disappearing like the earlier attempts.

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Tony, if you haven't yet created UVs that you want to preserve, then maybe try exporting the retopo mesh to .obj and reimporting the .obj back to 3D-Coat. I've been experiencing a lot of similar problems in the recent versions. Problems like: different coloured parts of the model, inability to unmark UV seams on one side of the model, edge loop selection stopping in the middle of the loop for no reason, and some other that I don't remember. Reimporting the retopo mesh helped in every case so far.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Also, I started code refactoring to make code better organized, documented and more readable. Possibly 3D-Coat will become half-opensource (but I may not guarantee).

In next month no new features will be introduced and no important fixes expected if this build will become stable because I need to perform refactoring. Othervice we will not be able to develop in 3-4 years because of code complexity and disorganization. So this stage is very important for future. Refactoring will not bring something new to users but will allow fo fix problem easier and develop faster, extend programmers team.

WoW !! refactoring !! this are great news !!

wait ! and half-opensource !?!? O_o ----------------- How this is coming to be !?!? :wacko:

<--------------------------------------- 3bL96NF.jpg?1

• Like 1

wait ! and half-opensource !?!? O_o ----------------- How this is coming to be !?!? :wacko:

<--------------------------------------- 3bL96NF.jpg?1

Agreed! Both are a big deal and easy to miss. I'm looking forward to both. I'm learning more C++ lately and hoping to expand 3DC in a lot of ways, if it's possible with the SDK.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I don't think it's a good idea to make any part of 3D Coat OpenSource. A good SDK, yes. OpenSource, no. No sense in giving competitors any technology that he's worked so hard on, over the years.

I don't think it's a good idea to make any part of 3D Coat OpenSource. A good SDK, yes. OpenSource, no. No sense in giving competitors any technology that he's worked so hard on, over the years.

I agree with you to open 3DC by offering a good SDK. I am not shure about Andrews announcement to make 3DC "partially open source". In my eyes it is listening more like a plan to open some new interfaces to parts of 3D-Coats techniques to give other developers a better development foundation for individual purposes. I would wait what will happen next. Andrew mentioned too that this is just an idea and not decided yet.

opening up the SDK* to give 3rd party vendors enough access that they can create innovative add-ons (plugins) = yes !

* a SDK that contains most of the code, but not enough to just give away worth of development for free.