3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

Beta 14 Linux

I tried an Autopo on a simple sculpted sphere with mountains moved out of its surface, placed guides on it, but it never completed, I left it over night, seemed to lock 3DC up though, this is not good.

Also, same problems as Digman.

Progress bars would be a no brainer, as without them, you have no idea what is going on when 3DC locks up.

T.

Linux build - WOOOHOOO! Tapering angle in the undercuts tool will save me lots of time without the need to boot Win. Thank you Andrew and the team!

Will test it more a tad. First impressions - as others reported until you choose a shader model is black.

Also I had to delete config folders - when I had configs from 4.1 I had some strange distortions on imported models (squeezed on Z axis). But after deleting those and re-registering the app the issue went away.

Had one crash during the exit. Saved the dump - if it's of any use let me know where to send it.

I've Fedora 21 on my machine.

• Advanced Member

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 and has many of the same problems as Digman.  I did try AUTOPO on a simple shape and it worked just fine.  +1 on the progress bar, it would be very helpful.  All in all I'm having fun, now I need to nail down the PBR workflow to Octane.  :D

• Reputable Contributor

Linux build - WOOOHOOO! Tapering angle in the undercuts tool will save me lots of time without the need to boot Win. Thank you Andrew and the team!

Will test it more a tad. First impressions - as others reported until you choose a shader model is black.

Also I had to delete config folders - when I had configs from 4.1 I had some strange distortions on imported models (squeezed on Z axis). But after deleting those and re-registering the app the issue went away.

Had one crash during the exit. Saved the dump - if it's of any use let me know where to send it.

I've Fedora 21 on my machine.

Can someone explain the benefit of this tool and how it is supposed to work? I still don't understand it fully. It's my understanding that it's for prepping for manufacturing?

• Advanced Member

Can someone explain the benefit of this tool and how it is supposed to work? I still don't understand it fully. It's my understanding that it's for prepping for manufacturing?

Are you talking about Fedora 21?  If so, it's just another distribution of Linux.  It's developed from RedHat like Ubuntu is based off of Debian, etc. In this case it's version 21 of Fedora.  :)

Jason

Sure - as this feature is so closely manufacturing-related there's no surprise most people who haven't done such things do not have an idea what it is for :) .

This feature fills all undercuts / overhangs on the model. It is crucial if you manufacture the model via plastic injection process (you made plastic aircraft model fe) or stamp it (a coin f.e.). The moulds are made of metal (tooling steel , alu etc) so they can't flex / bend to release the model. Thus all overhangs / undercuts would simply trap the model inside the mould, you wouldn't be able to release it without either destroying the mould or a model.

What's more a straight angle often does not do the trick - you need a slight taper (2 degrees f.e.) so the model "slides" from the mould more easily.

Usually you think about such things during the initial design of the part in the CAD app. But while it is viable approach for "simple" shapes like a phone cover it is not for more sculptural, complex forms. And this is the area where voxel solutions really excel - while you can fill undercuts with one click using voxels, such feature is out of reach of even expensive nurbs based cad solutions.

For me the only things that 3D Coat lacks to fill all my needs in this regards ;) are:

1. draft angle shader - shader that would show you areas that are undercut

2. split at natural parting line tool

But I'm already grateful that Pligway has taken care of the most important thing. I deal with the rest by importing the meshes to Rhino / Modo (in Rhino you have some native draft angle tools and you can cut at natural parting line using some projection tools, while in Modo you can set up procedural shader that will display draft).

• Advanced Member

am I the only one experiencing screen flickers while sculpting ? (beta 13 and 14)

If my videocard is dying on me or somethin I would like to know... :)

I noticed that in 13a, haven't tried 14 enough to see if it's still there.  But at one point it seemed as though the app would flash every brush stroke.

• Contributor

I noticed that in 13a, haven't tried 14 enough to see if it's still there.  But at one point it seemed as though the app would flash every brush stroke.

yes,thats it!! on my side it happens mostly when using LC brushes or SF mode brushes with RemoveStrtching on.

It happens both in DX and GL...occurence is slightly lower in beta14 compared to 13A but its still very frequent ,,,

thanx,at least now I know its 3DCoat's fault and I wont try to change graphic card drivers or run stupid hardware diags for nothing.

yes,thats it!! on my side it happens mostly when using LC brushes or SF mode brushes with RemoveStrtching on.

It happens both in DX and GL...occurence is slightly lower in beta14 compared to 13A but its still very frequent ,,,

thanx,at least now I know its 3DCoat's fault and I wont try to change graphic card drivers or run stupid hardware diags for nothing.

I'm getting it too. Someone narrowed it down to happening with smaller brush sizes. The tests I run it seems to happen more with smaller brush sizes too. So hopefully it's been narrowed down and fixed for the next build. Andrew, any word?

• Advanced Member

While in the paint room, in the Texture editor, I selected TexMetal from the drop down list (just playing), and my model turned the same colour as the background and I cannot get it back to the way it was.

T.

• Advanced Member

How do you get a hdri to show up in the paint room?  I pick "Use Panorama" in the camera/background menu and choose an image with "Choose Panoramic Image".  The background changes but it's not the hdri file.  Is this how it works or am I missing something?  Thanks,  :)

• Reputable Contributor

How do you get a hdri to show up in the paint room?  I pick "Use Panorama" in the camera/background menu and choose an image with "Choose Panoramic Image".  The background changes but it's not the hdri file.  Is this how it works or am I missing something?  Thanks,   :)

What build are you using?

• Reputable Contributor

Linux 4.5 Beta14 64 bit non cuda...

The imported reference mesh using "Perform Retopology \ Import Reference Mesh is incorrectly imported. Shown in Picture...

It appears with moving tiles...

post-518-0-30136500-1426866003_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Linux 4.5 Beta14 64 bit non cuda...

The imported reference mesh using "Perform Retopology \ Import Reference Mesh is incorrectly imported. Shown in Picture...

It appears with moving tiles...

same here

• Contributor

BETA14, Windows

Can someone confirm, that importing an .obj file with multiple objects into Sculpt room, no longer places those objects on separate layers if Import to Separate Instances is turned on and if they're imported as voxels?

It does work for surfaces though (Import w/o Voxelization).

Also, in both cases the program creates a child layer of the currently selected one.

If file is imported as voxels, it places all objects in this very layer. If it's imported as surface, it places them as children layers of this layer. That's something new, because in the past objects were placed as direct descendants of the currently selected layer.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Another bug, not related to 4.5 betas, but present in every 3D-Coat version I used, is that sometimes when 3D-Coat crashes, it resets almost all of its settings. This includes preferences, theme, hotkeys, navigation presets, except of maybe page layouts and, fortunately, except of presets, shaders, alphas, materials and brushes, which are always preserved.

Sometimes a crash will cause this reset, sometimes it won't. The chances for that are random, I think. The fact is however, that having to restore all those preferences from backup files is always an inconvenience.

I just had another one of them.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Another bug, not related to 4.5 betas, but present in every 3D-Coat version I used, is that sometimes when 3D-Coat crashes, it resets almost all of its settings. This includes preferences, theme, hotkeys, navigation presets, except of maybe page layouts and, fortunately, except of presets, shaders, alphas, materials and brushes, which are always preserved.

Sometimes a crash will cause this reset, sometimes it won't. The chances for that are random, I think. The fact is however, that having to restore all those preferences from backup files is always an inconvenience.

I just had another one of them.

Just had the same exact thing happen. I don't know if Windows borks all the XML files and 3D Coat is forced to reset them all on startup, or if it's all 3D Coat's fault. I'm leaning toward the later.