3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Thanks Andrew

If mask is implemented... we need freeze and mask ? Or is redundant ?

I can see changing it as long as it keeps the ability to see the color we just masked, Freeze does that, it does not completely hide the color information. Seeing the color information is helpful. 

Freeze painted pixels or transparent areas is like a mask but you still see the color information which has its uses.

Anyway, I could see having both. Keep Freeze and add a Mask tool above it in the left toolbar.

If freeze is redundant, that over time would become known and Freeze could always be taken out.

• Contributor

Hi!

I just want to report that USD Polygroup Import/Export is working fine. :good:

In Paint Room: Texture Import and Layer Import of  Roughness, Metallic.. everywhere the channel selector (RGB) (Mono Channels) is involved does not work for EXR Files.

Also, Channel Selection for Displacement would be helpful! 

Thank You!

green.exr blue.exr red.exr

• Contributor

Topic: Renew the Channel Select Function when Importing Textures

I see now where the Problem is. When I select a color to import from, ae roughness from Channel select Blue. I would expect this: like in Krita, only the Blue channel.

b.jpg.59a4d87baa74310bb4dd1cefa73b4e0c.jpg

But selecting the Blue in Coat, gives this result (lower picture). That is problematic for "ARD/ORD" Textures (AO in Red, Roughness in Green, Displacement in Blue)  Coat should only take the blue channel, when blue is selected. 

a.jpg.ed9fa97f704914445c40d2475a334ffe.jpg

Okay this is png.  Exr is all pitchblack.

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Confused 1

• Advanced Member

Any linux users able to get the render room working with a amd gpu? All I get are black meshes. On windows works fine. Driver issue I'm sure. I do have the amdgpu-install libraries installed. Blender is working as well. Using Ubuntu 22.04. AMD  RX 7900xtx.

• Advanced Member
On 2/7/2024 at 4:13 PM, AbnRanger said:

I got the same thing. Could not make masks work at all, especially not how it is done in Photoshop.

Sadly, the mask doesn't work by the b/w value, but by... erasing. Makes no sense to me!

I'd also want a toggle (alt-clicking) to show the mask instead of the colour, rather than clicking on it and changing the opacity of it

The tooltip for adding a mask is missing by the way, and I can't find any other location to do so, like say the context menu

Given that these don't work with the grayscale values of the mask, are these compatible with PSD export? Would be a big downside if not!

edit: I'd also appreciate a choice for how large the layer thumbnails are, both in the Layer tab and the ones you get when hovering

Edited by Mighty Pea

• Advanced Member
On 2/8/2024 at 11:03 PM, Carlosan said:

Thanks Andrew

If mask is implemented... we need freeze and mask ? Or is redundant ?

We need both. One is like a selection, the other is a layer mask. They're not the same thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
48 minutes ago, Mighty Pea said:

We need both. One is like a selection, the other is a layer mask. They're not the same thing!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I was going to submit a name change to the FREEZE tool in the Paint and Sculpt Workspaces. Perhaps FREEZE/SELECT tool and there should be an icon at the bottom of the LAYER panel, to "Store Current Selection as a Layer Mask." That is how the layer mask icon in Photoshop works. If you already have a selection made and click that icon, Photoshop will create a layer mask from it. If you have no selection and click on the icon, it just creates a blank layer mask. I hope that is how it will work in 3DCoat.

For Vertex Paint, masks should still work the same, but of course the layer won't show a UV map thumbnail. Perhaps, for Vertex Paint/VerTexture the mask thumbnail should be all white if it is blank and all black if a freeze/selection is stored on the layer?  

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I was going to submit a name change to the FREEZE tool in the Paint and Sculpt Workspaces. Perhaps FREEZE/SELECT tool and there should be an icon at the bottom of the LAYER panel, to "Store Current Selection as a Layer Mask." That is how the layer mask icon in Photoshop works. If you already have a selection made and click that icon, Photoshop will create a layer mask from it. If you have no selection and click on the icon, it just creates a blank layer mask. I hope that is how it will work in 3DCoat.

For Vertex Paint, masks should still work the same, but of course the layer won't show a UV map thumbnail. Perhaps, for Vertex Paint/VerTexture the mask thumbnail should be all white if it is blank and all black if a freeze/selection is stored on the layer?  

Agreed, you need both.  And I will echo the idea of having a button or option to convert the active frozen area to a layer mask.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

I made a mock up in Photoshop, of the Retopo Workspace, but also small proposed changes in the layout. 

1) The Workspace tabs are located along the MENU bar, just to the right of the Menus, as it is in Blender...to maximize/consolidate UI space

2) Only one bar (Toolbar) for parameters. Having a toolbar with half of one above it, in the Menu Bar, makes the UI look crowded and clunky

3) For the Modeling/Retopo Room, there should be industry standardized SELECTION and TRANSFORM icons. No more should they be mixed in with the Tools themselves (so, I removed them from the Tool Panel in this mockup). That adds to the confusion of many new or trial (period) users, and adds to the complaints about the UI, and especially the modeling/retopo tools. I placed the Transform (all modes like the default transform tool/gizmo), Move, Rotate, Scale icons to the Toolbar, next to SELECT (Grouped with SELECT PATH) and Sub-Object + Object mode icons. I think most new users could now have a basic understanding of how Selection and Transform operations work, right away, with these icons.

Do you guys agree or have any further suggestions?

3DCoat UI mockup 4 copy.jpg

• Like 4

I like the idea.

For me the fragmentation of commands is a big problem.
It is necessary to group by category as container panels.

Look the upper panel, a lot of unused space
image.jpeg

- Take as reference Maya

image.png

- or Zbrush

image.jpeg

Everything you need is in one place to access in a simple way, not complicated, or lost in an endless list of commands in a panel that does not fit on the screen.

- Also about values in rectangles., look Mudbox or ZB

image.pngimage.jpegimage.png

image.jpeg

Al values on one panel

- On 3DC it looks overcrowded and mixed

image.png

or incomplete.

image.png

Panels and distribution BY category need some love.

----------------------------------------------------------

sidenote:
please remember to post ON this thread ;)

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

I posted in this thread because the UI work is relevant to 3DCoat 2024 development, since this is what Andrew is currently working on (the UI/Layer Masking). Pertaining to the placement of parameters in the UI...specifically in the Toolbar...I am okay with, because 3DCoat's UI layout is patterned after Photoshop, unlike ZBrush's. Personally, I would never want to use ZBrush's UI as an example of what to do. It's very foreign in terms of Industry Standard UI organization. Features, yes. UI, no. I would rather follow conventions from Photoshop, Blender, 3ds Max and Maya.

Menu organization it is not relevant to any soft, is related to UI design. As I remember UI design can't be copyrighted, only source code and UI elements, so as long as you do the code and you do your own graphic elements you're good.

I'm not saying "copy this", I'm just suggesting that what corresponds to each category be united in one panel. As example steady stroke, invert tool focal shift, falloff... 

Something similar to the old Option Panel, but not by tool but by Brush.

image.pngimage.png

Panels need a cleanup, I already told Andrew my opinion.

image.png

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I test v2024.07.

clipping mask and layer mask is great.

but when I send the texture from 3D-coat to other software, Layer Mask does not send.

(from drawing software to 3D-coat is good).

I'm using CLIP STUDIO PAINT.

anyway, this is a nice tool what I want.  thank you very much.  Дякую.

Hi Jene
I was testing Photoshop and Gimp and is working fine... let me check on Clip Studio.

//edit: it is not working at expected. But I don't think if its related to 3DC.

Looks as CPS use a layer mask system different. Layer masks in CSP use levels of transparency and not white & black.
For CSP masks, color doesn’t matter like it does in Photoshop... Only brush opacity. 

• Like 1

There is some solution to not loose brush pressure in 3dcoat voxels 2dpaint brush, [others brushes too] work witch Wacom] [ Wacom drivers 6.4.5-5], for real... not only pressure;

I need so often, to click out of the 3dcoat window, and go back to reset this bug, maybe 3dcoat should have some reset button that is easy to shortcut to reset these settings ;]

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi Jene
I was testing Photoshop and Gimp and is working fine... let me check on Clip Studio.

//edit: it is not working at expected. But I don't think if its related to 3DC.

Looks as CPS use a layer mask system different. Layer masks in CSP use levels of transparency and not white & black.
For CSP masks, color doesn’t matter like it does in Photoshop... Only brush opacity. 

Carlosan,response and check thank you.

OK. I remember that result. :D

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin Version 2024-07 - switching camera views on Num Pad still doesn't work. It works in weird way - when I hit 5(perspective/ortho view) and then 4(side view) it switches to side view, again 5 and then 6 and it switches to other side, again 5 and then 2 and it switch to front view. When I hit only 4, 5 or 2 it doesn't react. Same happens when I hit 4 and then RMB it switches to side view, 2 and the RMB and it switches to front view, etc. Also, often moving witgh LMB in the viewport, outside of the object doesn't work - no reaction at all. All these issues showed up after that whole "new gizmo" change in 2024-05.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mihu83 said:

@Andrew Shpagin Version 2024-07 - switching camera views on Num Pad still doesn't work. It works in weird way - when I hit 5(perspective/ortho view) and then 4(side view) it switches to side view, again 5 and then 6 and it switches to other side, again 5 and then 2 and it switch to front view. When I hit only 4, 5 or 2 it doesn't react. Same happens when I hit 4 and then RMB it switches to side view, 2 and the RMB and it switches to front view, etc. Also, often moving witgh LMB in the viewport, outside of the object doesn't work - no reaction at all. All these issues showed up after that whole "new gizmo" change in 2024-05.

I will fix it in 08, but if you will turn off Geometry->Incremental Render all works as expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

Hello!!

We can control Layer Color Opacity via Python and Core. That is fantastic! Can you please add the other channels?

I need the Depth Channel Opacity, just the same way.

Thank You and 

All the Best!

setLayerDepth/setLayerMetal/setLayerRough
coat.Scene.setActiveLayer(Layernum)
coat.Scene.setLayerColorOpacity(LayerID = Layernum, Opacity = 0)
image.png.2cf1f74bf7184519a8665e6e3fdf10c7.png
Edited by Ctc_nick

• Advanced Member

I just opened a file that was saved in 2024.07 (same version as I opened it in), and the mask I used in it is gone. Anyone else have this issue?

Unrelated, but am I the only one who wants to turn the 'Smart Material Preview' window off entirely? Especially on smaller screens it's always in the way, even if I collapse it.

Edited by Mighty Pea
  • Thanks 1