3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

I just tried the new baking engine. I tried baking details from one mesh to another and it works very well - thanks !. Question - since PP painting has a new deep displacement will this be built into the baking engine so that we can extract displacement as well as normals ? cheers

You may bake to displacement too. It works in latest beta. But it is better if mesh is quads only + it is better to subdivide mesh.

Speed of switchig the layer depends on amount of pixels there. It is unchanged for a long time and after beta 13 it may become only faster.

Thank you for the response. Must be my imagination then, as I thought the same scene file switched layers faster. I'll take your word for it. But I'll post back if I find anything definitive...

Is the symmetry enabled? If you will send me scene I may help better.

Hi,Andrew.

you are right ! the symmetry is on,turn off symmetry and it works like usual~

thanks very much :)

no time for a detailed mantis report, so this'll have to do: distorted materials aren't working for me. I distort it, set it back to paint, and it just paints on the original undistorted image even though I see the distorted one overlayed.

And a quick idea: colour the pressure colour dependence thing up top orange when there's something in use?

It can happen that I've enabled one of them (mostly more on Bright color. Love it) and wonder why my brush isn't working.

And being able to set the contrast on masks, as well as a rightclick-option on a mask to edit it in photoshop. Wouldn't make a huge difference, but it'd speed up the work when you're editing a material.

Another idea as I'm testing masks: painting over the image is amazing, but not all tools work with the mask. One which doesn't is the clone tool for instance.

Oh, and when you're in Paint Over Image, the image zooms in and out like mad.

no time for a detailed mantis report, so this'll have to do: distorted materials aren't working for me. I distort it, set it back to paint, and it just paints on the original undistorted image even though I see the distorted one overlayed.

I cannot reproduce it.

Hi. I'm having a very serious memory issue with 3d-Coat after using V4-BETA14A for a while on Mac OS X 10.8.3 with 12GB Ram. I can no longer open most of my .3b files bigger than about 10MB which all worked fine before. Even when I use V3 to open projects from last year, the program hangs forever, sometimes giving an "Out Of Memory" error before that. Activity Monitor shows that 3D-Coat uses less than 300-900 MB while it hangs and there are more than 8GB free. Everything else than 3D-Coat seems works fine.

What I did so far without success:

- Reboot, repair disks and permissions

- Delete and reinstall the 3DCoat V4 application folder, trying out different of the latest versions (remember, even the V3 installation is affected)

- Delete the 3D-Coat V3 and V4 folders in the home directory

- Delete ~/Library/Preferences/pilgway.-D-Coat

- Installi and run 3D-Coat with a different user account

- Boot the System via Firewire on a different computer to eliminate hardware issues

- uninstall the license key

Sometimes after entering the registration code, it would again load a somewhat smaller .3b file fine, but after it hung on loading a bigger file, that same smaller file wouldn't load again. It seems as if 3DC is putting (or maintaining) something in the system that causes any version to consume too much memory afterwards.

Did I miss anything to delete to completely de-install 3D-Coat or are there any other suggestions? This is leaving me unable to use 3D-Coat and continue important work, so any help is very much appreciated.

Serious memory issue with 3D-Coat after using V4-BETA14A for a while on Mac OS X.

Have you tried the previous BETA builds for Mac OS X, like 13A, 12B, 11, 9C, etc? Is this something new to 14A or previous versions have similar behaviour?

Have you tried the previous BETA builds for Mac OS X, like 13A, 12B, 11, 9C, etc? Is this something new to 14A or previous versions have similar behaviour?

I cannot tell because of cause and effect. I ran 14A when the problem started, as if it 'poisoned' my system. The effect of that 'poison' is, every version I run, at least back to V3 has those memory problem which I never had before. I can not remove the poison with a delete/reinstall of 3D-Coat and the mentioned files/folders. As long as my system has that condition and I can not get rid of it, I can not see if any other versions would introduce the same problem. Please tell me which files does 3D-COAT write or change, other than the ones mentioned. If I can delete/reverse all of 3D-Coats marks and changes, logic tells me that should get rid of the problem and I can switch to older versions and see if it happens again. Otherwise, the only thing I can now try is setting up a new OS on a clean disk and hopefully, I will be able to continue my work.

I am not sure there is an offending file unless you mean a file somewhere in my system which by its mere presence causes a crash on any 3D coat version when opening ANY non-small .3d file and which I dont know where to find. I was working on several different files before it became apparent and It might as well have been just an action I performed. I don't remember and I cannot reproduce how the problem comes into existance because for that I'd have to get rid of it again in the first place.

Again, is there anything being installed by 3D coat other than what I mentioned? How do I completely uninstall 3D Coat getting rid of ANYTHING that gets installed or altered?

I would chime in, but I use the Windows build, and every once in a while, I might notice some wonky behavior and delete all the open files in the MyDocs/3D Coat directory...except the license file and folders. I will usually re-install, and try a different scene (maybe a preset Human base model?). If that doesn't fix it, I will just e-mail support and send screen shots or screen recordings, along with any problem files. I have one now, just the other day. Never could clean up a bad mesh in the Voxel room...sometimes you may just have a fudged up object and need to trash it and build another or resort back to an earlier version.

In any case, definitely e-mail Andrew about it. You never know when it can help fix not only your problem, but a system wide problem. I reported some lag in an area, recently, and when Andrew got to the root of it, he discovered it was the cause of some lag in other parts of the app, and thus we got a big speed boost in the whole app....just from that one bug report.

Thanks AbnRanger. I deleted that whole folder (the Mac OS equivalent of it) already as mentioned. It might be something with the demo period/licensing mechanism and thus not easy to find and discuss here.... I will now try using a new clean system and see if that brings any clues and contact support/Andrew then.

OK I installed a new OS on a wiped partition and added fresh installs of 3D coat B14A and 3.7.18F - the same problem: most of my .3b files would make 3d coat hang at load or give an out of memory error.

After lots of fiddling, I found a strange thing: While using the 'Open' Menu command or CMD-o does not work, if that same file is in the 'Open Recent' menu and loaded from there, it works just fine !

Now I can edit the Options.xml file and put a filename in where the recent files are and then I can access it either from the menu or the panel at startup. Works for both versions I tested B14A and V3.7.18F.

Just got a crash when using bucket fill tool with Gaussian noise modulator.

After restarting, everything except the windows layout went back to default. All my shortcuts are gone and I don't have a backup. This is just great.

I have to say that after downloading and trying the new beta on my Macbook Pro yesterday, it was a lot faster and more of a pleasure going from version 3 to version 4. I still don't get why it says to press the 'End' key to customize tools on the Mac. I also couldn't use my mobile mouse middle mouse to pan, but that may be a driver issue.

This may be a curious bug. I exported my model from 3DC and one of the three materials didn't export any texture images, I should have nine total but I got six. In the LWO file that Surface is now looking at one of the other image sets instead.

post-466-0-32816500-1366655748_thumb.jpg