3DCoat Forums

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

• Advanced Member

I mostly create game assets, and i am not happy how it works now.

Mostly i switch to Substance Painter or Designer and did my painting there, but i would prefer if i could do most of the work in 3d coat.

That's the thing,  I don't want to switch to Substance Painter as I much prefer the 3DCoat Workflow for painting assets; even at this early stage of PBR I love it.

It's no huge deal really as I already bake my other maps and details in Maya using Turtle.  It would just be more useful if 3DC did proper AO calculation.

• Advanced Member

3DC is very unstable and constantly crashes when I try to load/unload geometry for UV mapping. When I have some geometry loaded and try to load a new geometry via creating a new scene program crashes. I have to close 3DC and open again almost every time before opening a new geometry.

Apply UV-set button is very annoying in UV room! I have already lost a lot of time making UV-mapping in 3DC and exporting model to 3ds max using Applink. And almost every time I forget to press this stupid button! If I make UV mapping in 3DC then 3DC have to apply UV mapping automatically before geometry export. I am sorry, but the current implementation is really annoying.

• Reputable Contributor

3DC is very unstable and constantly crashes when I try to load/unload geometry for UV mapping. When I have some geometry loaded and try to load a new geometry via creating a new scene program crashes. I have to close 3DC and open again almost every time before opening a new geometry.

Apply UV-set button is very annoying in UV room! I have already lost a lot of time making UV-mapping in 3DC and exporting model to 3ds max using Applink. And almost every time I forget to press this stupid button! If I make UV mapping in 3DC then 3DC have to apply UV mapping automatically before geometry export. I am sorry, but the current implementation is really annoying.

I understand your point, but I also think it is somewhat necessary. Why? Because, it changes the UV's you have on a given model. The user must remember that they are working on UV's in a very preliminary fashion. The Apply UV's is a confirmation that you indeed want to overwrite the current set. I see no problem with that..especially as the warning indicates, the operation cannot be undone.

As long as the user has this understanding, it should be no major issue. In the Retopo Room, you're not replacing current UV's and that's why there is no APPLY UVs button there. It's merely a confirmation step and nothing more. As for the crashes, you might want to contact Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) , send him the file and mention the steps you are taking, plus the version/build you are using.

• Like 2

4.5 BETA16B

- Screen refreshes after choosing panorama from the list

- Fixed stamp mode painting in surface mode (mesh was disappearing)

- Reference meshes displayed correcly

Thanks for the build Andrew. Testing now.

The non-manifold poly bug is fixed! Thanks a bunch. Flickering is also gone. :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I understand your point, but I also think it is somewhat necessary. Why? Because, it changes the UV's you have on a given model. The user must remember that they are working on UV's in a very preliminary fashion. The Apply UV's is a confirmation that you indeed want to overwrite the current set. I see no problem with that..especially as the warning indicates, the operation cannot be undone.

If I imported model from 3ds max for UV mapping it means that I will change UV maps. What is a point to change UV maps without auto applying them during export? When I try to close the current model with UV sets not applied after editing then 3DC asks if I want to apply them. Why is there no such question when I try to export model using Applink?

• Advanced Member

If I imported model from 3ds max for UV mapping it means that I will change UV maps. What is a point to change UV maps without auto applying them during export? When I try to close the current model with UV sets not applied after editing then 3DC asks if I want to apply them. Why is there no such question when I try to export model using Applink?

Not sure if this helps or not, but in 3d coat, you can change your UV layout after you've already done your texture painting without losing the painting work that you've already done.  Which is useful if you realize that you need more detail in a particular area and you haven't laid out your UVs correctly, so when you apply the new UV set, 3d Coat will transfer your texture work from the old UV set to the new one.  I think it's a really nice option to have. 

I might not know all the details, but it sounds to me like yours is more so an issue with the 3DSmax applink.  Maybe you can ask the maintainer of the 3DSmax applink to build in the functionality you need.

Hope that helps.

-G

Edited by gbball

• Reputable Contributor

Windows 7

Windows Beta 16B... non cuda.

If you save a reference model file and reopen the file, the reference model is displayed incorrectly. I confirmed this bug. The bug does not appear till you save the file and reopen.

Link to the users post.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17638#entry121285

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

We still need for the Metallic / Roughness workflow in 3DC to add the Roughness to the Metallic map's alpha channel as an option. This a must have for the Unity 5 Standard Shader Metallic workflow. Unreal Engine 4 does not require this but Unity 5 does...

Right now you have to use Photoshop or Substance to add the Roughness to Metallic map's alpha channel. 

Please if possible add this feature before the release of 4.5 Official...

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this helps or not, but in 3d coat, you can change your UV layout after you've already done your texture painting without losing the painting work that you've already done.  Which is useful if you realize that you need more detail in a particular area and you haven't laid out your UVs correctly, so when you apply the new UV set, 3d Coat will transfer your texture work from the old UV set to the new one.  I think it's a really nice option to have. 

I might not know all the details, but it sounds to me like yours is more so an issue with the 3DSmax applink.  Maybe you can ask the maintainer of the 3DSmax applink to build in the functionality you need.

Hope that helps.

-G

This is right. It's one of the best features in 3dcoat - you don't lose any paint work or have to do any manual transferring if you decide you need to change your UVs while painting.

I agree that hitting Apply is easy to forget, but having the changes automatically apply to the mesh is not necessarily what you want either.

• Advanced Member

I've always wondered but never tested this.   Does 3DCoat recalculate tangent space normal maps when you use the apply New UVset function?

If yes then this is fantastic.  Headus' UVLayout is the only other program that I know of that can do this (re-bake normal maps to a new uv layout and recalculate the normal maps for you)

• Reputable Contributor

I've always wondered but never tested this.   Does 3DCoat recalculate tangent space normal maps when you use the apply New UVset function?

If yes then this is fantastic.  Headus' UVLayout is the only other program that I know of that can do this (re-bake normal maps to a new uv layout and recalculate the normal maps for you)

That would be a good question to send to Andrew (support@3d-coat.com)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

This is right. It's one of the best features in 3dcoat - you don't lose any paint work or have to do any manual transferring if you decide you need to change your UVs while painting.

I agree that hitting Apply is easy to forget, but having the changes automatically apply to the mesh is not necessarily what you want either.

Can we at least have a warning message before export?

A warning message before export would be useless, you want a warning message before you leave the Retopo Room, just like the warning message before you leave the UV Room if you've edited the UVs.

• Reputable Contributor

You can scale or move the uv islands and you will not have any problems with your normal map seams. You can not rotate or flip the uv islands otherwise seams will appear in your normal map.

PackUV2 will scale and move the uv islands. 

This came up a few years ago and was posted as a Mantis report. Andrew replied that you have to use PackUV2 otherwise you will have seam problems.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Fill tool works for me if "Fill w\ Smooth" is unchecked

Thanks for replying! I did some further research after you posted. I deleted my configs which didn't work. Then I uninstalled 3DC, deleted the entire user folder, and then reinstalled. Then it works. So it seems like there was something corrupted other than the configs. I haven't seen that happen before.

Hi!

It does not recalculates. But there is workaround.

1) Export world space normal map.

2) import it as color layer.

3) Re-uv

4) Export color texture

5) Import as world space normal map.

Andrew

• Like 2