3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

A big thank you Andrew for the Roughness Workflow supported in the UI now and is context sensitive in the UI on which workflow I choose.

I change under Textures \ Texture export \ import workflow to the Roughness \ Metallness, the UI reflects the change in the upper tool bar and in the PBR shader editor... 

Also thanks for the Linux and Mac version coming soon...

post-518-0-41066500-1426464118_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Ok, got some egg on my face.... :blink:

You can export the glossiness in the Specular Color map's alpha channel in 3DC... from the textures menu or the export menu....

I even have my tool tips running but just did not hover over the specular color export function long enough to show the tool tip and I know better...

Darn I hate when I do that because lots of users read this thread...

Beta13A

This is only for the Specular setup not the metallic (Unity 5), right ?

I got a little problem now with the context sensitive workflow. It is a bit going back and forth. I have to switch to the specular workflow to get the specular + glosiness map. Then I have to go back to Metallic workflow to get the normal and Albedo map. That is ok, but not the fastest way.

Cool would it be to define the needed output by myself. Allegorithmic did a great job here in Substance Painter. I don't want to compare a say I need it the same way, but since there are quite a few applications with different needs for maps, this is very handy.

At Substance painter you can define the maps you need. Choose which one RGB, RGB+A, R+G+B,.. and just drag and drop the needed information in the appropriate channels. Simple and useful

post-39123-0-53713600-1426518061_thumb.p

This is only for the Specular setup not the metallic (Unity 5), right ?

I got a little problem now with the context sensitive workflow. It is a bit going back and forth. I have to switch to the specular workflow to get the specular + glosiness map. Then I have to go back to Metallic workflow to get the normal and Albedo map. That is ok, but not the fastest way.

Cool would it be to define the needed output by myself. Allegorithmic did a great job here in Substance Painter. I don't want to compare a say I need it the same way, but since there are quite a few applications with different needs for maps, this is very handy.

At Substance painter you can define the maps you need. Choose which one RGB, RGB+A, R+G+B,.. and just drag and drop the needed information in the appropriate channels. Simple and useful

attachicon.gifPainter_export.PNG

Yes we need the same setup for the Unity 5 Metallic workflow in 3DC as the Specular Color Workflow. Unity 5 places the roughness \ glossiness in the alpha channel of the metallic map when using the Metallic workflow...

I think once 4.5 gets out the door, that some default export functions for the two game engines would be a very good addition to the export panel... One for Unity 5 ( choosing either Specular or Metallic or both together and separate texture maps would be created) and one Unreal 4... You would not have to select the individual maps but they would be preselected using a default.  Of course you would not be force to use a default so you could still export the maps as it is now done. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

For all you Linux users out there, Beta14 is now available... Sweet!

I would imagine the Mac version is not far behind...

Edited by digman

Linux version 64bit non cuda ---4.5Beta14

I just tested a regular background image and my baked model became semi-transparent in the Render room...

I also noticed that a baked model is not effected by the extra scene lights when using a HDR image. It appears there is some effect but not in normal fashion as you would expect an additional light to do.

No problem with a sculpted model using the PBR shader in the sculpt room. You can see the shadow effects and the color of the lights on your model. Now with some PBR materials (vetex painting) you seem to loose the shadow effect... Some are more reflective than others but in a render you still should be able to cast light and color shadows on a PBR material with the extra scene lights.

The above light problems still needs some more testing...

When loading a new scene and choosing a voxel sphere the sphere is black till I choose a shader.

This happens also when choosing a voxel primitive in the Sculpt room.

Ya know I will always ask for this, can we please have Progress Bars in Linux if possible. If not possible a simple can not be done answer for Linux would be great...

Edited by digman

Yes we need the same setup for the Unity 5 Metallic workflow in 3DC as the Specular Color Workflow. Unity 5 places the roughness \ glossiness in the alpha channel of the metallic map when using the Metallic workflow...

I think once 4.5 gets out the door, that some default export functions for the two game engines would be a very good addition to the export panel... One for Unity 5 ( choosing either Specular or Metallic or both together and separate texture maps would be created) and one Unreal 4... You would not have to select the individual maps but they would be preselected using a default.  Of course you would not be force to use a default so you could still export the maps as it is now done. 

+10000 + Marmoset Toolbag

Beta 14

If select PBR material properties --> Preferred Mapping -- > UV-Mapping

when don't work "Fill whole layer" . Preview window work fine.

I use model "sphere on a stand".

Beta 14 Linux

I tried an Autopo on a simple sculpted sphere with mountains moved out of its surface, placed guides on it, but it never completed, I left it over night, seemed to lock 3DC up though, this is not good.

Also, same problems as Digman.

Progress bars would be a no brainer, as without them, you have no idea what is going on when 3DC locks up.

T.

Linux build - WOOOHOOO! Tapering angle in the undercuts tool will save me lots of time without the need to boot Win. Thank you Andrew and the team!

Will test it more a tad. First impressions - as others reported until you choose a shader model is black.

Also I had to delete config folders - when I had configs from 4.1 I had some strange distortions on imported models (squeezed on Z axis). But after deleting those and re-registering the app the issue went away.

Had one crash during the exit. Saved the dump - if it's of any use let me know where to send it.

I've Fedora 21 on my machine.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 and has many of the same problems as Digman.  I did try AUTOPO on a simple shape and it worked just fine.  +1 on the progress bar, it would be very helpful.  All in all I'm having fun, now I need to nail down the PBR workflow to Octane.  :D

Linux build - WOOOHOOO! Tapering angle in the undercuts tool will save me lots of time without the need to boot Win. Thank you Andrew and the team!

Will test it more a tad. First impressions - as others reported until you choose a shader model is black.

Also I had to delete config folders - when I had configs from 4.1 I had some strange distortions on imported models (squeezed on Z axis). But after deleting those and re-registering the app the issue went away.

Had one crash during the exit. Saved the dump - if it's of any use let me know where to send it.

I've Fedora 21 on my machine.

Can someone explain the benefit of this tool and how it is supposed to work? I still don't understand it fully. It's my understanding that it's for prepping for manufacturing?

Can someone explain the benefit of this tool and how it is supposed to work? I still don't understand it fully. It's my understanding that it's for prepping for manufacturing?

Are you talking about Fedora 21?  If so, it's just another distribution of Linux.  It's developed from RedHat like Ubuntu is based off of Debian, etc. In this case it's version 21 of Fedora.  :)

Jason

Sure - as this feature is so closely manufacturing-related there's no surprise most people who haven't done such things do not have an idea what it is for :) .

This feature fills all undercuts / overhangs on the model. It is crucial if you manufacture the model via plastic injection process (you made plastic aircraft model fe) or stamp it (a coin f.e.). The moulds are made of metal (tooling steel , alu etc) so they can't flex / bend to release the model. Thus all overhangs / undercuts would simply trap the model inside the mould, you wouldn't be able to release it without either destroying the mould or a model.

What's more a straight angle often does not do the trick - you need a slight taper (2 degrees f.e.) so the model "slides" from the mould more easily.

Usually you think about such things during the initial design of the part in the CAD app. But while it is viable approach for "simple" shapes like a phone cover it is not for more sculptural, complex forms. And this is the area where voxel solutions really excel - while you can fill undercuts with one click using voxels, such feature is out of reach of even expensive nurbs based cad solutions.

For me the only things that 3D Coat lacks to fill all my needs in this regards ;) are:

1. draft angle shader - shader that would show you areas that are undercut

2. split at natural parting line tool

But I'm already grateful that Pligway has taken care of the most important thing. I deal with the rest by importing the meshes to Rhino / Modo (in Rhino you have some native draft angle tools and you can cut at natural parting line using some projection tools, while in Modo you can set up procedural shader that will display draft).

am I the only one experiencing screen flickers while sculpting ? (beta 13 and 14)

If my videocard is dying on me or somethin I would like to know... :)