3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Don't believe I've ever uninstalled / reinstalled these updates before, but if that fixes it, so be it...

As a side note, before 3DC "when PBR", there used to be 2 "rock" materials (they were "spotted gray & brown"), I no longer see those materials now - I used to use them when creating asteroids for my game.

Is there a way to recover those, I used to depend on them a lot, for example:

Asteroid11.3b.jpg

-Will

If you have the old MyDocuments/3D Coat V4 folder, you should be able to copy the shaders folder and paste it into the 4.5 one. I also think many of those shaders are still available from the mainpage > Download > Resources.

• Like 1

There seems to be 2 new bugs in beta 25:

- when adding mesh to layer, two duplicates of same mesh are created (sculpt room)

- there are artifacts on mesh when using LC General Clay brush

LGn3jV9.jpg

There seems to be 2 new bugs in beta 25:

- when adding mesh to layer, two duplicates of same mesh are created (sculpt room)

- there are artifacts on mesh when using LC General Clay brush

Beta version 4.5.25 Windows 7 64 bit non-cuda, opengl.

Confirmed on getting artifacts when using the LC General Clay brush... (default settings)

post-518-0-29384500-1450198781_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

I added mesh display bug on mantis: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2062

How about inserting new mesh into layer? Can you recreate it too?

Also I had problem, when importing second normal texture, to paint room. They seems ok, but when I switch 'relief only' shaded model normals seems inverted. And they are exported inverted too (but. I use blender preset at import time - for normal)

@Jose...

Could you explain more about inserting a new mesh to a layer...  maybe show a picture... Not sure if you are talking about importing a new mesh to a layer, adding a primitive, models panel, cloning etc...

Was the external normal map created in blender?  Not enough information for testing... more details needed.

If possible share the 3DC file and external normal map for testing. You could pm me with a link to download...

Edited by digman

If you have the old MyDocuments/3D Coat V4 folder, you should be able to copy the shaders folder and paste it into the 4.5 one. I also think many of those shaders are still available from the mainpage > Download > Resources.

Thanks, AbnRanger, downloaded the nature pack, but that (and the others) didn't have the ones I'm looking for, oh well...

-Will

• Like 1

Thanks, AbnRanger, downloaded the nature pack, but that (and the others) didn't have the ones I'm looking for, oh well...

-Will

Did you try the ones on this page?

http://3d-coat.com/download/resources/file-list/?tx_neofileshare_pi4[cat]=4

And to be honest, I' just go into the Paint room and use the PBR materials to paint them on...use the Fill tool and with a single click it will fill the whole object. It will look a lot better than those old shaders.

• Like 1

If i make you a couple pbr ones are they going to be useful to you?

@Jose...

Could you explain more about inserting a new mesh to a layer...  maybe show a picture... Not sure if you are talking about importing a new mesh to a layer, adding a primitive, models panel, cloning etc...

Was the external normal map created in blender?  Not enough information for testing... more details needed.

If possible share the 3DC file and external normal map for testing. You could pm me with a link to download...

About importing mesh, I figured out what is happening. Basically when I has symmetry enabled and I want  to import tool (from left toolbar, or space menu) 3dc is creating 2 copies of mesh. And if I have option 'import as child' enabled, 3dc is creating left copy for parent layer, right copy for child layer:

nSVfjsv.jpg

Also I finally get it, why sometimes putting simple sphere on center of scene fails. If I have symmetry enabled 3d coat is booleaning left and right copy, which are overlapping 100%, and that is why it fails to create sphere (because boolean fails).

I wish Andrew prevented this, by checking obj. position on mesh addition. So if object x position is ==0, then just make one copy, without boolean, else make right and left copy, with boolean.

And if 'import as child' is enabled just put both copies into single child layer (not one to child, one to parent layer, like it is now).

About importing normals, sorry I can't share the file.  But basically, when I import second normal (from external file) 3dc messes up green chanel display in 'relief only' display mode. And if I export my uv painted object, throught file-> export obj & textures, normal green channel is flipped too.

Edited by JoseConseco

@jose

So far I am not encountered any normal map problems when importing an external normal map using the Blender setting when importing under the Textures menu.

My 3DC normal map preset setting in Preferences is setup up for Blender atm as I am working on a Blender render.

If my normal map settings was in preferences setup for UnReal, then I would convert the normal map say from Blender to that same setting when importing the normal map from the textures menu. 

I am only guessing here as your workflow details have not included where the normal map came from, What program / game engine the normal map is to be rendered in, your 3DC preferences for normal maps, or if you are converting the normal map to that same setting when importing. Maybe a NDA agreement prevents this information.

ATM a little hard to tell if it is a bug or not in the newest beta.  I am a user like you and answer problems at the fourm when I have time, so the more detailed information you give, the less time I have to spend figuring things out... 

Edited by digman

Tested smart materials changes Andrew did all day long , all working as they should.

Great job.

digman, I tried to recreate this bug in simple scene and I couldn't so I will skip reporting this for now. Anyway thanks for your time.

Michaelgdrs greate to hear that.

• Like 1

Did you try the ones on this page?

http://3d-coat.com/download/resources/file-list/?tx_neofileshare_pi4[cat]=4

And to be honest, I' just go into the Paint room and use the PBR materials to paint them on...use the Fill tool and with a single click it will fill the whole object. It will look a lot better than those old shaders.

Yes, those are the ones I downloaded, they had things that were "close", but way darker, definitely not the originals that were included back then.

I guess I should just cobble together some rock images into a rocky tilable, or just Bitmap2Material up something I can use as a replacement, I just really like using those old ones while sculpting...

If i make you a couple pbr ones are they going to be useful to you?

That's really nice of you Michael, it's not that serious for me. I can spend the time and come up with something as a replaement.

If you were to make some rock shaders / materials, I'd prefer it to be for the 3DC community, not just for me.

I appreciate the offer though, really nice of you - thanks.

Thanks Guys!

-Will

• Like 1

Yes, those are the ones I downloaded, they had things that were "close", but way darker, definitely not the originals that were included back then.

I guess I should just cobble together some rock images into a rocky tilable, or just Bitmap2Material up something I can use as a replacement, I just really like using those old ones while sculpting...

That's really nice of you Michael, it's not that serious for me. I can spend the time and come up with something as a replaement.

If you were to make some rock shaders / materials, I'd prefer it to be for the 3DC community, not just for me.

I appreciate the offer though, really nice of you - thanks.

Thanks Guys!

-Will

I have the rock shaders for you, I sent you a pm yesterday to see if you still needed them or not...

They are uploading now to the pm message...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thanks Digman, I didn't even realize I had a PM - never used it before, didn't even know it existed until I saw your reply here!

Thanks so much for your help!

-Will

• Like 1

I Always love the good ending stories  :blush:

New Beta Retopo Tools... First I understand these tools are very early beta or even late alpha tools... 

I know how to use the RFill, QuadPaint and RetopoShell tools. These will be great additions as they mature. 

QuadStrip, it draws green strokes but I can not figure out it's use... Anyone know how to use this tool?

Later, I will comment on what I would like to see improved in the new beta tools...

Edited by digman

New Beta Retopo Tools... First I understand these tools are very early beta or even late alpha tools...

I know how to use the RFill, QuadPaint and RetopoShell tools. These will be great additions as they mature.

SelectOnly doesn't seem to work for RetopoShell. RFill is a little bit buggy - when the tool is misused, meaning that once an existing island is LMB clicked, the tool removes some vertices or overlaps polygons - but it does its job when its used properly. :)

QuadStrip, it draws green strokes but I can not figure out it's use... Anyone know how to use this tool?

I too couldn't figure out how to use it. :( Too bad because I was very eager to try it out as I feel that this will be a real kickass tool.

@ajz3d

Since know one else has replied, I think the QuadStrip beta / alpha tool is non-functioning atm.

The other 3 are like Andrew said early, early beta.

I think he put these out here so bugs could be reveled / discovered by a number of users... a first pass so to speak...

Also to get feedback on what improvements could be made.

I found the bugs as well but have not posted anything about them yet.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I created a very simple ring object and then ran Autopo on it which went well.  I added some more seams in the Retopo room and then I tried to accept the UVs to bring them into the Paint room.  But that option is missing, at least I can't find it anymore.  Maybe I'm in a strange mode?

post-38101-0-78353700-1450422391_thumb.p

Also the Autopo didn't complete the process like it usually does, although I think others had commented on that already?  Thanks,

Jason

Edited to add 3D-Coat version:  4.5.23b

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 1

Thanks, I would love to but I can't, not at least until they release the Linux version.   ;)

Jason

Edited by Grimm
  • Like 1

Hey Jason , i am sorry man , didn't know it wasn't updated yet.