3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Speaking of bugs....one that I have noticed for years and reported to Andrew multiple times (but he cannot seem to reproduce on his side), is baking Occlusion on a dense/heavy Sculpt Object. It freezes viewport performance on my system, to where the FPS is virtually 1 or so. To restore viewport performance, I have to restart the application. Does anyone else experience this problem?

@AbnRanger In 2023 and 2024 I tested with a 5mil mesh and baked with AO default values with no loss in FPS. However at 10 mill polys and baking AO with default values my FPS was cut in half to around 25FPS. On restart viewport FPS returned to normal. On side note, if I perform a "cleanup memory" my viewport drops to under 10. This will fix itself on restart or sometimes switching meshes. Also if I resample a mesh to certain degrees (1 mil to 10mil) it will take a chunk out of my FPS and fix with restart. This is unpredictable though.

• Thanks 1

Why for god sake, shortcuts is duplicated by default[ when I change it by backspace/end flow in software 2023.40]? this causes a ton of problems in the 3dcoat shortcut system.

image.png.e21f38dc175cd6bbd26179198d48354e.pngWH

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin Playing around with 2024 and... sadly, Flat Shading is still broken, brush presets still doesn't store Brush Rotation, brushing is still weird(sticky cursor/hangs for a sec) with complexe models(many elements/subtools), also some issues with 3dconnexion device in orthographic view(conflict with a mouse?).

I've been mentioning most of this earlier, so some response would be great... Any plans for fixing those issues anytime soon?

17 minutes ago, Mihu83 said:

@Andrew Shpagin Playing around with 2024 and... sadly, Flat Shading is still broken, brush presets still doesn't store Brush Rotation, brushing is still weird(sticky cursor/hangs for a sec) with complexe models(many elements/subtools), also some issues with 3dconnexion device in orthographic view(conflict with a mouse?).

I've been mentioning most of this earlier, so some response would be great... Any plans for fixing those issues anytime soon?

Please refer Flat Shading report if possible (I seen it somewhere, but lost).

• Contributor

Hello, happy new year! Coat 2024.01

After I apply a custom stencil with rectangle mode and standard Brush the Image is gone (just gray), when reselecting the stencil. I have to reload to see what i am doing. 

----------------

Edit: Okay I might not have been in Camera Mode, but in Cube Mapping Mode, then the Texture only appears under the Curser, like the Manual said :).

So, nevermind!

A reset Projection button on the panel would be great and fine control (Its very Jumpy) and save positon/presets.

All the Best!

Edited by Ctc_nick
Read the manual

• Advanced Member

If I choose the base male from the start menu under voxel sculpting there are 3 paint objects that are created as well. I don't think this was intended. Choose the base male under voxel sculpting from the start menu. Switch to the paint room. Under the Paint objects panel there are 3 objects - Generic_Figure_Female, Generic_Bust_Male, and Generic_Bust_Male1. 3D coat doesn't even have a female figure.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
20 minutes ago, ebitz said:

If I choose the base male from the start menu under voxel sculpting there are 3 paint objects that are created as well. I don't think this was intended. Choose the base male under voxel sculpting from the start menu. Switch to the paint room. Under the Paint objects panel there are 3 objects - Generic_Figure_Female, Generic_Bust_Male, and Generic_Bust_Male1. 3D coat doesn't even have a female figure.

It is possible since you can now paint on voxels a paint object has to be created. Not sure a guess here. Though the extra 2 objects that could be an error. I tested other default models and they all appear as a paint object as well but with only one paint object. 

Windows 3DC version 2023.41 does the same as the new beta 2024_01 beta.

Update. I can delete the paint objects with no effect so why there are there as you said could be a bug. When I start to voxel paint no paint object is created.

• Advanced Member

Could we get 3D coat to remember which rooms are hidden? If I hide the "Mesh to Nurbs" room it reappears on next start up. Even if I "store the workspace" it reappears. This is applicable to all the rooms.

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, digman said:

It is possible since you can now paint on voxels a paint object has to be created. Not sure a guess here. Though the extra 2 objects that could be an error. I tested other default models and they all appear as a paint object as well but with only one paint object. 

Windows 3DC version 2023.41 does the same as the new beta 2024_01 beta.

Hey digman. If I delete the paint objects, the voxel mesh is still paintable. There are no retopo meshes, no UV meshes. Also there is a funny behavior. If I delete one of the paint objects they all delete. Maybe you are right, but there should probably be some cleanup here. Small details.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Here is a question. If I uncheck the "Show folders as buttons" option under Preferences -->Theme, how do I bring up the diffenent folders say under Shaders or brushes or stencils? They used to show up in the small right corner button pop up of the panel didn't they?

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Please allow any changes made in the render room to save with the file. As of now, any changes made in the render room propagate to all files after changes are made. If I add a new light into the scene that light will open in a new scene. If I make changes in current scene, those changes will be in another file that is opened.

Been having an issue running 3DCoat 2024.01, 2024.02...

I get the splash image, Window forms, and then crashes.

Happened with both 2024.01, 2024.02...

Intel i7 960 w/24gb, Win10 Pro 22H2 19045.3930. nVidia RTX 3060 w/12gb, and Avast AV 2312.6094.870.813.

(It appears that it's a firewall or Avast issue causing the crash - disabling Avast brought up a firewall dialog from Windows Defender.  Allowed the executable, and  2024.02 loaded just fine.  I'll add the executable to Avast's firewall and see what happens... It appears to be a problem between 3DCoat2024 and Avast Antivirus. Any advice beyond trashing/changing my AV program?  Definitely something changed in the last 2023 release and 2024.01...)

For some reason, Avast AV was blocking 3DCoat 2024 from running.  I'll have to check the logs for Avast to see what was tripping it...  I should be sorted out, though.

My Solution was to go and manually add an exception for 3DCoat in Avast. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Try uninstalling onedrive

One drive was removed from my system prior to upgrading from 2021 to 2022.  The problem appeared to be entirely Avast not liking something about 2024.01's initialization, but having no problem with 2023.41's start up.  I've got things working now.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Strange, I did not have either. But I switched from the room to the room and now they are always in place.

image.png

Silly me!
Moved 3DCoat from the Cintiq to big screen and that's fixed. Strange, but fixed.
Thank you for checking for me!

• Haha 1

• Contributor
On 1/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, SreckoM said:

On Linux,Ubuntu 22.04, I am getting constant crashes when trying to open file, or image etc. 1/2 time it will crash. Someone experience this?

Yes. Well, no not really. I had problems with opening my own 3dcoat files, on Windows, saved for safety. But then at the start of the Day I can't open them...crashes are not a good creative start. It recovers after a few attempts. I would really like to rely on Coat as Tool (as I Love it). This was the first time NO Blender was involved in the Unreal Pipeline, but to be honest, I have left Hair,Time and maybe a customer, but I was able to finish the Job.

Edited by Ctc_nick