3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, SreckoM said:

On Linux,Ubuntu 22.04, I am getting constant crashes when trying to open file, or image etc. 1/2 time it will crash. Someone experience this?

No, I am not experiencing this, there are 2 launchers in the linux version folder, one of the launcher always crashes upon opening files, the other one is fine.  I am on Kubuntu.

Edited by animk

On 1/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, SreckoM said:

On Linux,Ubuntu 22.04, I am getting constant crashes when trying to open file, or image etc. 1/2 time it will crash. Someone experience this?

same here, i am on fedora kde. file browser crashes as soon there are pictures involved, browsing 3d files works. my current workaround is drag and drop from the file browser to 3d coat. using it atm for reference planes. long time since i used ubuntu... hope 3dcoat changes to the official "linux reference platform" https://vfxplatform.com/

my setup notes ->
## 2023.37
dnf install python3.10 python3.10-libs
### startup
#!/bin/sh
export PYTHONHOME="/usr/lib/python3.10"
export COAT_PEN="Wacom Intuos4 4x6 Pen stylus"
export COAT_ERASER="Wacom Intuos4 4x6 Pen eraser"
export COAT_MOUSE="Core Pointer"

cd /mnt/data0/software/3DCoat-2023.37/
./3dcoat-Ubuntu20.04

### icc msg
find . -type f -name '*.png' -exec mogrify \{\} \;

Hello all

Please remember:  

4 hours ago, digman said:

Development / beta versions are prone to bugs.
Give reproducible steps and send that to support@3dcoat.com with the 3DC file in question if possible.

if using a development / beta version, 3DC has open and not closed beta so we get to test the latest versions but at a risk.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:06 PM, phil said:

same here, i am on fedora kde. file browser crashes as soon there are pictures involved, browsing 3d files works. my current workaround is drag and drop from the file browser to 3d coat. using it atm for reference planes. long time since i used ubuntu... hope 3dcoat changes to the official "linux reference platform" https://vfxplatform.com/

my setup notes ->
## 2023.37
dnf install python3.10 python3.10-libs
### startup
#!/bin/sh
export PYTHONHOME="/usr/lib/python3.10"
export COAT_PEN="Wacom Intuos4 4x6 Pen stylus"
export COAT_ERASER="Wacom Intuos4 4x6 Pen eraser"
export COAT_MOUSE="Core Pointer"

./3dcoat-Ubuntu20.04

### icc msg
find . -type f -name '*.png' -exec mogrify \{\} \;

I posted a general solution that should enable 3D Coat to work on any modern linux distribution in the following forum post, including fedora (I'm currently running Fedora 39).  The tl;dr is to use a tool called distrobox, which lets you very quickly wrap processes in lightweight, distro-specific containers. In 3D Coat's case, I configured it to run  out of an ubuntu 22.04 container.  Another important upside of this workflow is that you can declare exactly what is installed in each container, in effect, getting a deterministic, reproducible, and versioned runtime environment for whatever tools are executed out of the container -- no more of that "what have I changed on my host distro that is bothering this tool." That would also let you do things like spin up a new container when a new version of ubuntu comes out and if you run into problems, just immediately use the old version (or spend 2 minutes and let the tool recreate it from scratch). I'm not associated with distrobox at all, but it's a real game changer for linux for me since it brings the mature capabilities of containers into practical, daily usage.  Good luck, and let me know if this works for you!  

edit: most relevant to this thread is that this can help disambiguate what are genuine 3DC 2024 bugs versus a bug that is related to the runtime environment.

Switching to PopOS fixed it. Which is strange cause both are 22.04 LTS. Probably was a problem on my side.

Would not like for 3DCoat to follow VfX platfrom, those are way behind and work for studios, not for daily driver machine. Ubuntu LTS is great midpoint. 

Also why not using Flatpak, if there are resources for something like that?

Edited by SreckoM

• Contributor

Hello!

Coat 2024.05 (and earlier):

USD File export of a Mesh with 2 or more Polygroups does not work. To test, just go to Mesh export in Retopo.  After that, Import.

image.thumb.png.440ee3cf85d29b291a40a956b18dcb61.png

The Problem occures at the vertices where the Polygroups touch. Splitting in 2 vertices does work, but that is not good because of the normals.

Here is the Unreal Log (Import) with the same result:

"faces contained too many repeated vertex indices"

" 100.000000% of the normals from Mesh prim '/Scene' are invalid. This is at or above the threshold of '5%' , so normals will be discarded and fully recomputed.

image.thumb.png.807eb711f60bb310e32517239f388252.png

Can you please fix that? It would be so much more convenient compared to FBX because of the Shaders already setup.

Hard Edges work BTW (the blue edges). Thank You and

All the Best! :good2:

• Contributor

usd.thumb.gif.7cc43f34033d01a534caffbb6614751c.gif

Hi @Gorbatovsky! Nice to hear from you.  

I use one mesh with several groups. Like in a normal model. I compared Coats handling of obj,fbx and usd Exporter and the corresponding Importer.

Coats Obj export work like the original, FBX splits the mesh automatically at the seam to new meshes (separate).  I would prefer that USD works like obj in that case.

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Advanced Member

Any chance on getting 3DCoat builds for linux Redhat distros as well (Fedora, Rockylinux, etc.)?

• Advanced Member

any news on a non destructive quads modes for surface?

maybe some improvements to autopo where the quads properly follow or maybe a way we can make polygroups in the process of autopo to show proper flow for quads?

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Mihu83 was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

@Andrew Shpagin Ok, something is messed up with switching views with Num Pad. Sometimes it works as it should, sometimes it does not react at all or it works  in weird way - when I hit 5(perspective/ortho view) and then 4(side view) it switches to side view, again 5 and then 6 and it switches to other side, again 5 and then 2 and it switch to front view. When I hit only 4, 5 or 2 it doesn't react.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
Carlosan

wilson66 was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Nice to see the Photoshop-like masking implemented. Doesn't work as I would expect it though. Assigning the mask to the paint layer, then painting the mask with black does nothing, it does not hide the layer as you would expect it to do. It paints on the mask (changing mask opacity from default 0 reveals this), but that has no effect on the layer the mask is assigned to. Clearification needed.

screen_masking.jpg

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Carlosan

retutca was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Hi,

In version 2024.06 I tested the sculpt geometry painting in the "Paint" room (vertex painting). Then I made the low poly version in the "Retopo" room and create UV. Finally "Bake w/normal map(per-Pixel)". The result in the "Paint" room will be failed. The vertex painting is not transferred. I tested this in 2024.05 and it works there. I tried the "Bake Color From Visible Volumes" but didn't help.

I attached the test project...

Thanks guys!

test_paint.jpg

test_paint.3b

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, retutca said:

Hi,

In version 2024.06 I tested the sculpt geometry painting in the "Paint" room (vertex painting). Then I made the low poly version in the "Retopo" room and create UV. Finally "Bake w/normal map(per-Pixel)". The result in the "Paint" room will be failed. The vertex painting is not transferred. I tested this in 2024.05 and it works there. I tried the "Bake Color From Visible Volumes" but didn't help.

On retopo you first need to add seams then unwrap.

Anyway something is wrong with the paint layer.
Reported

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, wilson66 said:

Nice to see the Photoshop-like masking implemented. Doesn't work as I would expect it though. Assigning the mask to the paint layer, then painting the mask with black does nothing, it does not hide the layer as you would expect it to do. It paints on the mask (changing mask opacity from default 0 reveals this), but that has no effect on the layer the mask is assigned to. Clearification needed.

screen_masking.jpg

I got the same thing. Could not make masks work at all, especially not how it is done in Photoshop.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

From my testing, I do not think there is true black and white masking yet. You cannot create a mask with a regular black and white image.

Create a top layer and a bottom layer.

Top layer filled with a material.

Bottom layer, no material added.

Create your clipping mask and the top layer material disappears so that means Transparent is more or less black which is how Stencils Work. Black is applied as transparent, in other words hiding.

Start painting on your clipping mask and the top material is being revealed.  

Another test.

Before creating the clipping mask, paint on the bottom layer, leave transparent areas. Next create the clipping mask and anywhere there is painted material on the clipping mask it reveals the top layer material. Any transparent areas in the clipping mask hides the top material. 

The new system is better and I enjoyed using it yesterday as it is easier to create mask but it appears no true black and white masking yet. 

You can paint with any color on the clipping layer, I choose white, but any color will do.  Of course, no depth or gloss those are disabled when working on the mask layer.

Also once creating your mask, hide the mask as it leaves a little color fringe at the edges of the revealed material. The reason I choose white as it less noticeable when reveling the top layer material at the fringes before hiding the mask. Hidden the mask still works.

Side Note: Holding down the Ctrl key will erase material on the clipping mask layer, hiding the top materials in those areas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is a good example of why "setting user expectations" is a good idea!

It sounds like this is an attempt to build per layer/folder masking but based on the original transparency-based clip mask model. I really think it has to be true grayscale masking -- just like Photoshop and Substance Painter. I think a Steam/perpetual license Substance Painter user (ahem) hoping maybe to transition to 3DCoat for texturing would find the clip mask model baffling, and limited.

Edited by tiburbage
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

Would have to agree regarding layers, very odd behaviour. If its trying to mimic Photoshop then great, but please replicate the functionality of PS layering. Clip Mask functionality before sort of made sense (referencing an intended layer to act as a mask), now adding the clip mask function in the layer stack with the arrow pointing down confuses, seemingly to mask the layer below?? Will be a great addition and it's almost there in terms of UI - just needs to make sense with regards to how we all use Photoshop, as clearly that's the intention. Hope that helps.

Edited by insignet
sentence was confusing

• Advanced Member

Anyone else have trouble in the render room with light positioning (Add a light and then move its rotation etc without checking Realtime Render. This normally gives you faster preview of light direction)  in v. 2024.05+? When you try to 'bake from render room' - not working, rolled back to 2023.41.

18 hours ago, tiburbage said:

This is a good example of why "setting user expectations" is a good idea!

It sounds like this is an attempt to build per layer/folder masking but based on the original transparency-based clip mask model. I really think it has to be true grayscale masking -- just like Photoshop and Substance Painter. I think a Steam/perpetual license Substance Painter user (ahem) hoping maybe to transition to 3DCoat for texturing would find the clip mask model baffling, and limited.

Maskig will be corrected in next build - it will work with color and transparency and expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

It looks like baking worked. Please give more details

image.png

Yes sorry the light bake does work... however the positioning of that light in the Render room atm is made difficult from the lack of feedback of its position (if that makes sense) both the realtime render and open gl lighting. I think I must of been trying to position the light and lost its actual location when trying to use the bake tool.

Edited by insignet