3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

zbrush = one hotkey

There is way too much steps for simple freezing. I think myself that freeze is as important tool as smoothing. We really need faster way to use it.

Definedly Yes.

Masking and Hiding are so beautifully implemented in Zbrush, it can't get any better.

One really used them in the way shifting gears works when driving a car. Completely without thinking.

Please make these essential Tools equally accessible.

• Reputable Contributor

One thing that surface mode still need is faster freeze lasso select. The compare is this:

zbrush = one hotkey

3d-coat = 1) select freeze 2) select right lasso type from e menu 3) If you continue with a stroke you need to change back from e menu.

There is way too much steps for simple freezing. I think myself that freeze is as important tool as smoothing. We really need faster way to use it.

+1

I agree too, but one way to make that quicker (and make it benefit other area of workflow too) is a way to assign hotkeys to e-panel items.

offtopic: Andrew, did you add the save progress bar when autosaving ? I didn't see it in previous version. If you did, thank you, now when I temporary freeze I know why and I'm not worried :)

+2

• Advanced Member

e-panel hotkeys will be nice, but I wish I could assign an e-panel function to a brush and/or tools too so that it retains the functionality when I switch back and forth between them. If I'm using a brush with the lasso tool active and switch to curves, it kind of annoys me to see the little green lines everywhere.

• Advanced Member

e-panel hotkeys will be nice, but I wish I could assign an e-panel function to a brush and/or tools too so that it retains the functionality when I switch back and forth between them. If I'm using a brush with the lasso tool active and switch to curves, it kind of annoys me to see the little green lines everywhere.

I agree.

It is cool to make Hotkeys available but I found even much better when one could assign E-Panel-Entries to Hiding and Masking - again like in Zbrush.

So that this Pen Outline (e.g. Square or Circular) only works this way inside the Hide or Freeze Tool.

As soon as one switches back to another tool 3DC should use the last active drawmode of the currently used Tool again.

• Contributor
As soon as one switches back to another tool 3DC should use the last active drawmode of the currently used Tool again.

Definetely! That would avoid some issue, like carving chunks of voxels and wanting to smooth the carved contour but still having the lasso tool selected making the smooth useless. With 3dc remembering the last drawmode by brush we could carve with lasso/whatever and smooth like we normaly do with shift (since smooth tool used normal brush drawmodelast time used it).

That just an example but I agree 200% and that would make the whole workflow much more cohesive till brushes presets integration :)

• Reputable Contributor

Definetely! That would avoid some issue, like carving chunks of voxels and wanting to smooth the carved contour but still having the lasso tool selected making the smooth useless. With 3dc remembering the last drawmode by brush we could carve with lasso/whatever and smooth like we normaly do with shift (since smooth tool used normal brush drawmodelast time used it).

That just an example but I agree 200% and that would make the whole workflow much more cohesive till brushes presets integration :)

This could all be handled if Spiraloid's (Bay Raitt) request were implemented. That is to make custom presets, that includes the Tool, brush mode, brush alpha's, masks, materials and tool options...and then have a Presets Pallet just for them, the way it's done in ZB. I don't know how Pixologic manages to get thumbnails of all of those. Are they rendered and shared by artists, or did Pixologic make a bunch and render them out?

• Contributor

Yep I know AbnRanger, I was just proposing the "short temporary" answer to some of the current issue (because till the presets are in place, we still need to deal with some major annoyance regarding brushes and drawmodes), of course presets are the goal :p:

Oh, when I'm at it: why are the pinch/shift in surface mode using strenght ? Why can't we have that mapped to the same hotkeys as the "depth" (degree) one ? There's only one "strenght/depth" input on those tools, it would be logical to be able to adjust them with one key (same with mouse gestures adjustment.)

"Paint in cavity" is also different (still have kind of wireframe artifacts).

Good luck for testing and fixing issues. I'll try to test as much as possible.

I am also having wireframe artifacts while doing cavity painting - gonna post some screenshots tomorrow.

• Contributor

Hey,just tried new build!

Pretty cool! Smoothing has taken a big leap forward. :brush::good:

Backface checkbox works great too,I tested it on a coin and no problem here.

On another note(since you just added hotkey power to e-panel)

E-panel "ignore backface" does not work with Freeze tool.Its very important that it work, for accurate selections.

About a default hotkey for Freeze tool: Ctrl+Alt ???

Also Buildup is a very ggod name. :)

about names:

please rename Inflate to something else until you make a real Inflate brush,you could call it Extrude2??

And finaly, I think "paste" tool should be renamed back to toothpaste, "paste" refers too much to "copy/paste".

Its highly misleading.

Toothpaste is a little strange but at least its clearer.

• Advanced Member

Hi Artman,

About a default hotkey for Freeze tool: Ctrl+Alt ???

No, please not!

Any combination of two letters which includes Ctrl was a very bad choice indeed!

It is absolutely crucial to have Ctrl unused when actually freezing because we need this key for pen behavior inversion (quickly unfreeze already painted areas).

It's difficult to suggest something which makes sense - CapsLock would maybe work but it's not very nice to hold together with Ctrl,

Ctrl+F is a little too far appart to be issued without watching...difficult!

• Advanced Member

And finaly, I think "paste" tool should be renamed back to toothpaste, "paste" refers too much to "copy/paste".

Its highly misleading. Toothpaste is a little strange but at least its clearer.

Yep. This is a really bad name.

Give it a completely different name if Toothpaste sounds odd to you. Paste only creates wrong associations.

Unfortunately the same Toolbar also contains a "Copy"-Tool which doesn't create a true copy but some

kind of Brushstroke-based "Surface Clone".

• Reputable Contributor

Its highly misleading.

How about "Goop," then? If you need more clarification, that is... :p:

"You will be able to assign hotkey to any button in 'E' panel."

\o/ Thank you !

And not a moment too soon, lol! This one is most welcomed.

about names:

please rename Inflate to something else until you make a real Inflate brush,you could call it Extrude2??

Its highly misleading.

I agree. I'll pass this on to Greg. I think it's something we should consider. Paste confusing me every time I see it now, thinking it's going to paste something in that I've copied.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, but dx or ogl ?And what driver version ? , just to see if there's common ground here. I'm using a quite old driver version, maybe that's why I'm not getting it (258.69).

I'm getting it on both GL and DX versions.

I have a GTX480 and driver version 266.58, dx11, 480 cuda cores. 1.5 GB texture memory.

Updated to 3.5.17 (beta, not verified) Win. If all will be OK with this build, I will do Mac+Linux tomorrow

Changes:

- I restored older version of surface clay and combined it with new brushing engine, it produced really nice brush!

- Rapid2/Mud2 brushes as smoother and nicer versions of Rapid/Mud brushes. That new brushes are based on the same principle as new Clay brush.

- I made checkbox "Smooth back faces" in "E" panel in Voxel room

- Smooth in voxel surface mode is now CUDA accelerated. It is especially obvious under big smoothing degree (500% for example). Non cuda smooth improved a lot too.

- I made additional checkbox "CUDA smooth boost" that will enable 3X strength of smoothing if CUDA enabled.

- You will be able to assign hotkey to any button in 'E' panel.

- I tuned Surface Fill tool to work nicely.

- I made new brush based on surface clay that acts close to Build in voxel room and Wax in MB. It is little modification of clay, but looks like it is super cool to buildup shape. Plobably I will call it Buildup.

- I improved merge surface->voxels algorithm to produce much less artifacts like that - http://bit.ly/i4rmT6 . They was usually appearing after surface was smoothed in voxels a lot and then move applied (as well as any surface change). It is hard to avoid them at all, but they will appear muchh less now. To remove them at all use depth shader or "To global space". It are not actually surface distortions but rather normals calculation problems. It happens due to voxel surface thickness variation. Smooth makes surface thicker, so this problem appears.

- Snapping to voxel surface become faster, fixed possible lags and hangups.

- Slice tool in retopo room will work correctly with non-voxelized meshes too.

- I updated AppLinks specifications a bit - http://bit.ly/gadLuD

- Fixed several bugs in retopo transform tool.

- The issue about retopo transform solved - http://bit.ly/gxsJ5W

- Fixed problem of holes over big faces in ppp mode when 8k textures are used.

- Fixed problem in retopo symmetrical copy whan multiple UV sets are present

- Problem with "Edit points table" in "E" spines metu solved.

- Problem with "To global space" and instances solved.

- The problem with move tool tearing and symmetry resolved.

- Fixed bug in Apply UV that was producing holes in mesh in some cases.

- I found why using huge brush radius leads to massive slowdown (almost hang). It is fixed and resulted with sculpting speed increase.

- If SHIFT and LMB was pressed simultaneously then even if SHIFT will be released but LMB pressed 3DC will act as if SHIFT is still pressed.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Looks like GREAT progress is being made in 3D Coat!

After a conversation with a few folks in this thread http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7925&pid=61199&st=0entry61199 , I'd like to see how many others need more of the Voxel tools in the Sculpt room?

I need to create facial morphs, and at the moment, Mudbox is offering me a lot more power for creating morphs, which would not be the case if the Voxel tools existed in the Sculpt room.

I'd rather stay completely with 3D Coat!

• Contributor

Wow!Buildup brush is fantastic! :)

But it needs some fine tuning,especially along symmetry line:

sometimes you want to add volume but the brush has a subtracting effect instead.

(also it does not seem to have any "inverted" behavior.)

Anyway,very cool effects can be achieved with that brush,its a great addition to Surface Brushes.

Also new Surface Fill is on very strong vitamins. It works really fast here. :good:

Edit:Okay,I got how Buildup brush work,in order to not get a "subtracting" effect we just need to not release pen or mouse....It works great!

The CUDA accelerated smoothing is amazing! Now that is what I'm talking about. Granted, I wont use it on all the time, but with that... Very awesome.

Surface fill tool is also quite good! Thanks for improving it. :)

Using large brushes now is simply, amazing.

I like the buildup tool, as well, nice addition.

Keep up those bug fixes and tweaks! This is great. I'm calling this build a near stable build. More testing required, but so far so good.

Hi!

Testing version: 3.5.17

System: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 / Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X / 12GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / Driver version 266.58

Voxel sculpting

Noisy blobs emerge when smoothing over certain area while moving brush across it

- Set smooth to values over 100%, for example 300 or 400 something

- Set object in voxel mode

- Set large brush size

- Smooth using shift while dragging cursor over surface in circles

- First smoothing goes OK, then when I encounter already smoothed deep cavity, smooth will plot noisy blobs, which will start piling up out of surface

Does not happen with surface mode.

• Advanced Member

Hi!

Testing version: 3.5.17

System: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 / Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X / 12GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / Driver version 266.58

Voxel sculpting

Noisy blobs emerge when smoothing over certain area while moving brush across it

- Set smooth to values over 100%, for example 300 or 400 something

- Set object in voxel mode

- Set large brush size

- Smooth using shift while dragging cursor over surface in circles

- First smoothing goes OK, then when I encounter already smoothed deep cavity, smooth will plot noisy blobs, which will start piling up out of surface

Does not happen with surface mode.

I believe it's to be used in surface mode, where you check the box in the voxel tree to bring your model into surface mode...Works great there.... If it's not meant to be used in Voxel mode, there should be a limitation added there.