3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 Open Beta testing thread

" This is essentially BETA builds open for users who like to participate, and wish to help and contribute. 

Too many changes were done so be careful with re-writing saved scenes.

We tried to check and test carefully* , but need your help to check if all workflows work correctly.

* As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash.

Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.

Thanks for testing. "

image.png

Features list of 3DCoat 4.9:

https://3dcoat.com/v4.9/

Download at https://3dcoat.com/download/

Google Drive (Win, Mac & older Linux builds): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByesnXO2ExYDOFJDSkJBWk91Tlk

I will post all beta and release 4.9 builds there. Thanks a lot for help, support and testing builds!

winicon.pngWindows [4.9.15]:

https://pilgway.com/files/3dcoat/V4.9/3d-Coat-V4_9-15-64.exe

https://3dcoat.com/files/3dcoat/V4.9/3d-Coat-V4_9-15-64.exe

Sculpt layers are included in this build, but you should enable it in Edit->Preferences

osxicon.pngmacOS Mojave [4.9.04]:

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat/3DCoat-4.9.04.dmg

Ensure to check "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > click the "lock" > select "App Store and identified developers" (when only "App Store" is selected error message is displayed "3DCoat" can't be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store)

3DCoat crashes on startup

3DC-printing 4.9.04 https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DC-printing/3DC-printing-4.9.04.dmg

linuxicon.pngLinux CentOS 6 [4.8.23]:

https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat/3DCoat-4.8.23.tar.bz2

We stopped to build "3DCoat" under old Linux CentOS 6 ("GCC" compiler from old CentOS 6 makes errors during optimizations). Soon we will try to make native "3DCoat" build under newest Ubuntu using its latest "GCC".

How to create shortcut

3DC-printing 1.1.09 https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DC-printing/3DC-printing-1.1.09.tar.gz

linuxicon.pngLinux Ubuntu 19.04 x64

TestStroke http://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.tar.xz

12.12.2019 4.9.15 (stable)

- Bend/Warp tools are creating new layer with bending result if baking to layers enabled.

- Much faster turning to proxy for huge scenes.

- Fixed several issues related to the smart materials painting - attached materials/painting materials in UV window etc.

- Fixed crash in "Fill entire layer" and other similar. This is important stability fix.

- Fixed crash in occlusion calculation for non-square textures.

8.12.2019 4.9.14 (stable)

- Fixed crash during curvature calculations for non-square texture.

- The selection bar to indicate the current element in different items lists.

- Invert selected in retopo streamlined. Separate buttons to invert all selected and invert selected in the current group. Invert selected in the current group does not touch selected in other groups.

- Primitives history window fixed.

- Bend/Twist/Warp tools introduced in voxels/surface. All of them compatible with sculpting layers, all changes will be gathered into sculpt layers.

- Stability fixed using automated bug reports.

2.12.2019 4.9.12 BF4 (stable)

- Fixed problem when smart material/fill thumbnail was patrial for sculpting objects.

- fixed crash in primitives if items selected from models list.

- Support of multiple lines of folders in the items list. The maximal amount may be changed in Edit->Preferences->Theme->Max. amount of lines in the folders list.

- Retopo via decimation restored, RMB over selected performs over selected, RMB over not selected decimates just one object.

- fixed strange floating elements in gizmo

- Possibility to drag&drop VoxTree objects, retopo objects to the Pens palette.

- Color HDR-s import finally fixed

28.11.2019 4.9.12[stable]

- Curvature calculation routine got much better flexibility, the possibility to mix short-range, smoothed and long-range curvatures arbitrary.

- Fixed dirty problem of dot appearing before stroke (sometimes).

- Correct cavity baking for stacked islands in the UV map.

- Panoramas list improved, items present as tiles, dockable.

- Mono, 32 bit, Grey-based as an option for the Export constructor

- Fixed blocking problem of curve/texture editor in smart materials editor.

- Edit/remove scripts history items.

- Fixed incorrect behavior of "Brush along stroke" when curve consists of linear chunks.

- Scripts creation/execution fixed.

- Drag&drop models/items for pens/strips/models/splines restored

- LockCamera works in render room as well

21.11.2019 4.9.11[beta, close to stable]

- Restored missing "Edit curves" in pens tab.

- 16K support in "Change mesh & texture resolution."

- Layers masking correct functioning restored.

- stability and UI issues fixed.

17.11.2019 4.9.10 [beta]

- Corrected EXR export using export constructor. Correct support of mono (R) export.

- Correct direction of alpha with stamp mode, stamp works if the pen is on empty space as well.

- Fixed 16k AO and light baking.

- Correct Windows->Store/restore workspace.

- Navigation within the image color picker restored.

- Mark seams with SHIFT corrected.

- Fixed .HDR panoramag import problem, it was importing as greyscale.

- a lot of small bugs fixed.

12.11.2019 4.9.09[beta]

- Reference/stencils painting streamlined. No switching to surface mode when the ref is painted. Auto-switch to the paint room. Duplicated stencils appear in UI immediately.

- Rect selection enabled for vox hide.

- Possibility to manipulate points of curves in "add curve points" mode.

- Cell hide got rectangular/ellipse etc modes back. Hide with CTRL works correctly.

- Rename/update hint for presets works correctly.

- Delete/Clear all for Presets work correctly

- Drag&Drop for presets items.

8.11.2019 4.9.08 [beta]

- Freeze menu in voxel mode performs correctly - expand/smooth, invert...

- Fixed problem with saving render result

- Select edge loop with SHIFT, unselect with CTRL SHIFT become more intuitive. Try different conbinations. There are a lot of intuitive combo-s.

- Speedup of many laggy operations, especially in Undo, Empy UI switch, scene loading etc.

- Booleans in curves allowed by drag&drop

- a lot of critical bugs fixed.

1.11.2019 4.9.07 [beta]

- Presets got folders structure.

- Possibility to assign hotkeys to curves RMB menu. Hotkey will act as if you clicked RMB over the curve under cursor and performed the action. Same rule acts for sculpt objects.

- Correct "Reset space" in transform tool - in correspondence with tooltip.

- Default colors for seams/sharp/sharp seams changed to more bright. Generally, you may tweak all that colors in preferences.

- Lasso works correctly in voxel tools - it cuts surface where applicable. Apply button appears when it should appear.

- Fixed empty floating windows problem.

- Restored View Size option in render settings.

- More tools included in Voxel/Surface toolset.

- A lot of bugs reported in this thread fixed.

21.10.2019 4.9.06 [beta]

- There was a very essential refactoring of 3D-Coat, around 40% of all source code changed. The purpose was to make code less redundant, easier to develop, better documented and easily extendable. It was a huge amount of job.

- Key to edit text changed - now F9, not F2

- Fixed fundamental materials problem that arises when a user makes materials using textures of the same name from different folders. Making the distributable package was messing the textures.

- More intuitive primitives preview - gizmo and object preview becomes transparent as soon as you will apply the primitive to make changes visible. As soon as you will move the gizmo or undo, the preview of primitive will get back.

- the same works for curves/text

- Action along curve works better, more smooth strokes, pinch tool works without strange "stitches".

- Compatibility of Sculpt Layers with proxy mode.

- Correct work of sculpt layers with extrusion by rect/curves selection.

- Copy & Subtract From... in VoxTree RMB to subtract without destroying the source volume.

- Possibility to hide rarely used gizmo elements.

- Seams, Sharp edges, Seams over sharp edges are marked with different colors for convenience.

- Import of the model with textures is seamless. In previous builds roughness/gloss textures were producing seams.

- Freeze included in voxel/surface toolset.

- Shaders editor (by RMB) updated - better controls, textures preview, possibility to use bump/depth texture for the normalmap slot. As soon as you will choose a texture that does not look like normalmap, it will be converted to normalmap-like look automatically.

- Apply button for all tools that may require ENTER to commit action, like Split, Clone, Cut&Clone. It is applicable if you are using new curves.

Render room changes:

There you can now:
 1. Render individual passes
 2. Customize the silhouettes in the render and in the viewport (this is important for the artist, since the person perceives the picture according to the silhouettes and the artists begin to draw from the silhouettes.
 3. Set up presets (for example, to quickly look at silhouettes or different lighting)
 4. Volumetric fog with shadows.
 5. Fixed a bug with shadows in shaders, now they are clearer and do not hang in the air.
 6. Render video to one mp4 file
 7. New interface
 8. Automatic assembly of psd with layers so that the artist can work with individual passes and light sources in Photoshop
 9. Fix toon shaders in render
 10. You can save render settings to a file and read from the file
 11. The light sources from the panorama now have a different density depending on the brightness, which allows you to quickly get a good result and clear, detailed shadows that convey the shape of the light source, glow from the sun, etc. (the custom panoramas need to be reimported that the light sources recalculated correctly)

9.08.2019 4.9.05

- Fixed UDIM import crash when option "Import tiles as UV sets" turned ON.
- Fixed problem of loading obj files that contains objects/materials with spaces. Baking with names correspondence supports names with spaces as well.
- Random crash in retopo fixed (was happening sometimes after faces deleting)

2.08.2019 4.9.04

- Brush relax with shift depends on smooth degree over the pen.

- Invert selected in retopo/select

- correct OpenCL.dll included

31.07.2019 4.9.03

- paint with CTRL urgent issue fixed. Now CTRL inverts depth as usual, CTRL + SHIFT erases, SHIFT smoothes.

26.07.2019 4.9.02

- Retopo commands like shell/extrude/etc... will not follow mouse movements, all extrusions will be commited only with the gizmo manipulations.
- Navigation keys assignment fixed.
- Painted metallicity is not destroyed by cutoff.
- Fixed different problems related to attached smart materials.
- Essentially faster switching between smart materials.
- CTRL in paint mode works like eraser if smart material enabled.
- better quality of brushing along drawn curve (especially if curve has not much points).
- Removed duplicate messages about layers locking

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Yeah! Congrats to all with this awesome version!

• Like 1

Congrats on the new release! Thanks for your hard work over the years building up to this new version, I know it's been a long road. :moil:

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new path of success!

I hope with version 4.9 we all have successes and winners!

I have some doubts:

1) I have a Pro license. Will I be able to upgrade normally to 3d-coat 4.9 or will I have to get a new license?

2) 3D-Coat 4.9 which is available for download already includes Sculpt Layers or will we have a SL beta version?

3) Does 3D-Coat 4.9 already have the new Brushes and Alphas system?
If 3D-Coat has this new system, I would like to know if my brushes presets are still compatible with the new system.

Thank you so much for the hard work on this great program! Congratulations!

Thanks for the new version, quick question, when i installed it, it deleted all the custom brushes, models, materials etc i had saved, how do I get those back.

2 hours ago, Rygaard said:

I have some doubts:

1) I have a Pro license. Will I be able to upgrade normally to 3d-coat 4.9 or will I have to get a new license?

2) 3D-Coat 4.9 which is available for download already includes Sculpt Layers or will we have a SL beta version?

If 3D-Coat has this new system, I would like to know if my brushes presets are still compatible with the new system.

I don't know about the brushes, but all 4.x.x versions are free updates.

11 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I don't know about the brushes, but all 4.x.x versions are free updates. 

@AbnRanger Thanks for answering me.

I will upgrade when 3d-coat 4.9 has Sculpt Layers version. I can no longer work on 3d-coat without Sculpt Layers. It is very important for my workflow.
I think only in the beta versions of 4.9 will we have Sculpt Layers and the new tools.

I thought that in this new version 4.9, we would have the new system of Brushes and Alphas.

I keep dreaming about features that would surely make a big difference in sculpting and sculpting detailing in 3D-Coat:
If anyone is curious, these would be the 5 features I would very much like 3d-coat to have. Maybe one day...

Sorry, I know this is not the time to ask for implementations, but it costs nothing to share something that would greatly improve Sculpt Room. :)

1.Plane Offset: https://youtu.be/k0eZ17X_E3o

2.Sample Bias: https://youtu.be/_1Q2gI1QB3s

3.Curve FallOff: https://youtu.be/5kWxf_ek-tg

4.Size: https://youtu.be/VHbjSgxFfOQ

5.Adjust: https://youtu.be/MvOZRSbk280

Development thank you.

sorry to report the first bug.
When using the Brush tool in 3dc_V4_9-01-64 Gl as a conform tool by reducing the Smooth strength down to 0 in order to just get the retopo cling to the voxel object it still does a smoothing and therefore distorts the retopo mesh.

13 hours ago, Lizbot said:

Thanks for the new version, quick question, when i installed it, it deleted all the custom brushes, models, materials etc i had saved, how do I get those back.

//edited

Use the command Migration Master to relocate 3DC data.

Hope it help

Migration.jpg

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Use the command Relocate 3DC data.

Hope it help

Thank you, i used migration master under the help menu which i found by accident and its restored everything.

11 hours ago, Rygaard said:

I have some doubts:

Look the first post, updated, inserted SL links. Brushes and Alphas are still in development. A bit paused because we are developing nodal system that is required to finish brushes system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Look the first post, updated, inserted SL links. Brushes and Alphas are still in development. A bit paused because we are developing nodal system that is required to finish brushes system.

Thank you. Congratulations  Andrews.

Hi!
I used the coat_data_path file in version 4.8 which directed files and folders to another hd.

I created a new folder for 3d-coat version 4.9 and installed the program.

How do I install version 4.9 directing to the HD folder I mentioned above? (Because there is my presets and many others important things).
Could you please guide me by telling me the correct steps?
I don't know if I need to copy and paste the coat_data_path file that was previously used (4.8 folder) or if I just need to go to the help menu and use the migrate option.

Thanks for the help...

Hi !  

I installed version 4.9.01, but the program requested a serial number. When I put my serial number on 3D Coat profesional 4.8.44, the program did not accept it. What should I do? Is my serial number still working? Do I have to pay anything? Please help.

image.thumb.png.4a507b7e861a38a0901c6821dc21736c.png

After another attempt, the program took my serial number. Whew.

Thank you very much for the latest version. This program is my friend on a daily basis :-). Please, at the same time, pay attention to the smoothing brush - at lower densities the grid works too much even when the power is reduced to "0". By the way, I warmly greet the developers of the program and the entire group of users.

12 hours ago, Lizbot said:

7 hours ago, Lizbot said:

Thank you, i used migration master under the help menu which i found by accident and its restored everything.

yep, 4.9 uses its own folder in user documents by default, so you have to move all your custom resources to the new location. Migration master can make this task really easy.

2 hours ago, wlokaz said:

After another attempt, the program took my serial number. Whew.

Thank you very much for the latest version. This program is my friend on a daily basis :-). Please, at the same time, pay attention to the smoothing brush - at lower densities the grid works too much even when the power is reduced to "0". By the way, I warmly greet the developers of the program and the entire group of users.

Yes it does that if you don't use pressure, even at 0.
You need to use a Wacom or similar, and you need to set stroke mode to "depth and opacity" image.png.909b8022c62fa56d08f124cf54c33945.png

Fantastic. Great work guys.

Another bug unfortunately...  Importing obj or fbx with UDIM tiles is a instant hard crash. That is a bad one, as allot of people use 3dcoat for it's great texture painting.

//edit

9.08.2019 4.9.05

- Fixed UDIM import crash when option "Import tiles as UV sets" turned ON.

Edited by Carlosan
fixed

having a 7 million tris sculpt on a vox layer in voxel mode and calling the light baking tool from the paint room makes me crash on 4.9.01SL both DX and GL

Turning the mesh to surface mode before calling the light baking tool prevents the crash.

Artifacts/holes  issue with Cutoff tool + Soft Booleans,

4.9.01 DX  not beta

cutoff.thumb.gif.72869f96f5ad478a16c77c54a7eba8b8.gifHoles and

10 hours ago, Werner_Z said:

Fantastic. Great work guys.

Another bug unfortunately...  Importing obj or fbx with UDIM tiles is a instant hard crash. That is a bad one, as allot of people use 3dcoat for it's great texture painting.

Is that happening when you check the IMPORT UV TILE AS SETS option in the Import Dialog?

6 hours ago, lesaint said:

having a 7 million tris sculpt on a vox layer in voxel mode and calling the light baking tool from the paint room makes me crash on 4.9.01SL both DX and GL

Turning the mesh to surface mode before calling the light baking tool prevents the crash.

To be honest, I don't think that was the use case for which it was designed. Light Baking is usually for low poly PAINT OBJECTS, meaning it's for low poly GAME assets, not high poly sculpting objects.