3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

I remember the time when I started learning about CG in General. I had no idea, but I heard of 3dC, ZB, Blender, LightW, Modo etc.. I tried them all out and 3DCoat was by far the most easiest to learn. So Back then I Noticed people requesting optimizations and after a while I started noticing why these requests were made. From a Integration to other software, Improvements in workflows and until this day I have yet to understand why only so few have been fixed or better optimized then others. concerned so much I started asking and requesting too because I cared and still do, but during theses few Years I've noticed very little on behalf of what was requested and what was considered to be of importance to be fixed or improved on. It is as is and most probably will stay that way.

What i would expect from 3DCoat in 2019:

A loading bar showing us how much time it is has left to solve what ever it is doing.

Option to have The Canvas Separated from the main Frame  ( Multiple Monitor Support )

Updated Applinks Better integration with other Industry Standard Apps.

(The first Step was taken A texture Library, but who cares there are 20 other PBR Library's out there where the Price is much fairer then the one given. That is bad marketing.. Still good move Next I wish to see it native inside of 3DCOAT. No more 3DCoat_Path,  make a real 3DCoat_Sandbox Work with XMD he did it right. (Like URE4, itch, Unity Hub.. // Auto update. // Login to account over a Hub  ( why is this not a thing yet...)  Control is key)

VR Support. This is not a joke. VR is here to stay and is now docked.

"The first is the last and the last is the first"   Fix them bugs. Don`t introduce new ones and call it Stable.

More Community Social experience. Not just what the Tools do ( It is great that they are shown, but Prove to new People what 3DCoat can really do. Show real time Professional Workflow inside 3DCoat only (YT). Every Company that you can take Seriousy have shown Social Activity's. Why not 3DCoat. Nobody is going to give it to you..

Have better organization. There is no softer way of writing this.

thanks for understanding.

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sorda said:

Because adding a circular menu is much cheaper than buying a mouse that I don’t need and without which I can’t do without problems. Not everyone has an extra 50-100 bucks per mouse, but there are 900 for a zbrash, which costs every dollar.

In the end, why not advise me to buy a game steering wheel to turn the review, or pedals to cancel - to repeat the actions?

I am glad that Andrew answered in this group, but your advice to buy me something there corresponds to what a person can do everything in one program, but they are trying to persuade him to make a sculptor in one program, retopology in another texturing in the third, rendering in the fourth, and post-processing in the fifth.

With all of this, thanks for meeting with the new device.

No. You asked me if Pie Menus were in the plans. My answer was "I don't know." If you want that changed, send Andrew an e-mail (support@3dcoat.com). Aside from that, I just mentioned one way that it was already available. Don't worry, I won't try to offer you any helpful information, going forward, if you are going to be this abrasive.

• Like 2

I love Krita's popup palette, it would be really cool if more software packages would use similar interfaces. 

• Like 1

21.12.2018 4.8.29

- Zipping-on-the-fly now optional, turn it on in Preferences->AutoZipScenes. Now it works safely, even huge scenes supported, no contradiction with undo. The problem with undo existed for a long time, now fixed. Generally need to test this feature before serious usage, but IMO it is now stable.

- Freeze state kept during resampling/res+

- Fixed hide tool issues, modifying hidden areas protected whenever possible.

- Fixed problem of scenes export/import where scale=1 and shift is non-zero

- Merge 3B file problem fixed

- autopo call in applinks fixed

- moved Subdivider to the bottom

- Fixed problems related to measure tool with fixed length + curved mode

- Import raw voxels corrected (import extensions, auto-guess)

Sculpt layers:

- Fixed merge down command

PS: Now working over unified brush engine, so not much changes there, mostly urgent stability/usability needs.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, lesaint said:

I can't use this latest one, it just won't recognize my Wacom for some reason, I had to go back to 4.8.28A-SL

Try to change settings in Preferences->Tablet interface

Does anyone have similar problems?

Tablet interface = wintab, loose sensibility

Windows flickering on every stroke is back -bug regression- (SL version)

Just now, Carlosan said:

But... windows flickering on every stroke is back -bug regression- (SL version)

Works here without flickering

on Linux with Gnome 3.26.2 and Nvidia  410.78 (GTX 980) realtime render is broken. Does not refresh correctly and makes other windows stuck (for example if you play a video in your web browser you don't see the actual progress of the video, but you can hear audio working normally - as soon as you stop realtime preview the "state" catches up).

Tried on Xfce and there it works as it should.

@Andrew Shpagin...
Problems with the brushes with sensibility and.... :(

In Surface mode , I dont know if this problem is altering something at the curves of " Edit Flatten Curves" of the Clay Brush too... (Presets brushes that I've already created)

image.thumb.png.67ada735beb9e976bd22792b95f66726.png

Edited by Rygaard

Ignore backfaces doesnt work at v.25 on model thickness 0.8 mm... what is mean? And doesnt working freeze object then I use Clean Clay brush.  

I write it here  

but have no reaction. Again.

Is it planned to supplement the system of boolean operations with something like a hard ops add-on, like in Blender? The point is to select two meshes (layers in the case of 3d Coat) and connect / subtract them with one click. Thus, it will not be necessary to climb into the layers and monotonously search for the desired mesh. In general, the work will go much faster and more enjoyable. 

3 hours ago, druh0o said:

It's not necessary already.

_1111.png

_2222.png.05a9f6dadbe8df94a340d321815b46ea.png

I have totally missed this feature. Really much better than selecting layer name. Thanks for pointing this out :)

Edited by haikalle

So the zipping file option appears to zip large 3b project files correctly this time in 4.8.29 with no corruption. It compressed my 9GB file down to roughly 2GB and upon opening the file all layers had correct information on them with nothing missing.

However, there appears to be a new saving issue with files that were zipped. When I saved the project file again it deleted the zipped version and starts the process over which takes several minuets (like 10 mins). So essentially even if your project was zipped already it repeats the entire zip saving process again which takes several minuets to do. I don't know if that is the intended design but it means if you are done working you can't close the program or go to another project since it takes a long time to create the zip file again. I understand the first time it zips it should take a long time but if it has to take this long for each save it is very time consuming. So for now I think I'm not going to have the auto zip option enabled yet. I did these tests with my 9GB 3b project file btw which has many 2k paint layers and models in the scene. When I finish a project completely I'll then just use 7zip to compress it for archive purposes, having 3D Coat do it for me is just a huge time sink.

In a completely different bug unrelated to the issue above I found when I had a project opened that had several layers in the paint room when I close the project there are empty layers present in a new scene still that cannot be deleted. The program doesn't seem to cleanup up the layers from previous projects. Only way I could refresh it is by re-opening the program after each project.

EDIT: Does the undo key or menu option work for anyone else? When I do ctrl+z or go to the menu option and choose undo nothing happens. 28A I can ctrl+z but in 29 nothing happens. Tried it in both DX64 and GL64 versions.

Edited by Mystical
found other issues
  • Like 1

Undo works here just fine.

I agree all points you make and I hope Andrew has time to read this too. I have also wondered why 3d-coat leave layers when you start new project. It seams to be a bug.

6 hours ago, haikalle said:

Undo works here just fine.

I agree all points you make and I hope Andrew has time to read this too. I have also wondered why 3d-coat leave layers when you start new project. It seams to be a bug.

Yeah undo function is not working for me in 29. I am on a windows 10 pc with the latest update 1809. I've restarted the pc and reopened the program but it still does not work.

To repro for me:

1) Open 3D-Coat 4.8.29 DX64

2) Choose per pixel painting and choose the default sphere

3) In the paint room paint on the sphere (color/normal map detail etc)

4) Attempt to undo the paint applied

Results: Undo function does not work, user unable to undo changes.

Try deleting options.xml on ...\user\Documents\3D-CoatV48

Hope it help

26 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Try deleting options.xml on ...\user\Documents\3D-CoatV48

Hope it help

I deleted the options.xml and undo function does still not work for me. I confirmed it did create a new xml file as well.

EDIT: Selecting undo in the menu does not do anything no matter how many times I press it. However if I press ctrl+Z hotkey a second time it then undos correctly. Not sure why I need to press ctrl+Z 2 times in a row each time I want to undo something though.

Edited by Mystical

4 hours ago, Mystical said:

Yeah undo function is not working for me in 29. I am on a windows 10 pc with the latest update 1809. I've restarted the pc and reopened the program but it still does not work.

To repro for me:

1) Open 3D-Coat 4.8.29 DX64

2) Choose per pixel painting and choose the default sphere

3) In the paint room paint on the sphere (color/normal map detail etc)

4) Attempt to undo the paint applied

Results: Undo function does not work, user unable to undo changes.

Bug confirmed. 

• Like 1